If Japanese moves out of China will Thailand benefit

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

IThen, there is the huge corruption in China.  Not even a western company can truly feel secure their product is built to specifications in China. 

What is your personal experience with this ?

~o:37;

• Like 2

Get some more golf courses built.

The quality of the labour force will be less and less of an issue as robotics take over. Robots don't fall sick with a virus or wake up with a hangover.

Japan friendly infrastructure is already in place.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, champers said:

Get some more golf courses built.

The quality of the labour force will be less and less of an issue as robotics take over. Robots don't fall sick with a virus or wake up with a hangover.

Japan friendly infrastructure is already in place.

Robots don't buy things either

• Like 1

The Japanese need to be very careful with the Thais. If the Thais try to play both sides (US and China) and allow large numbers of China firms to open in Thailand so the China companies can escape US and other Western country sanctions, the Japanese companies might get caught in the middle as Thai products are heavily penalised. 

The Thais already announced they would be open to such an arrangement with China. I kind of hope they are dumb enough to take the risk and have the entire economy collapse, as China's is going to. 

• Like 1

Vietnam will benefit for sure, but the problem is they are far behind in terms of infrastructure and skills necessary for high value manufacturing. They are improving rapidly, much faster pace than Thailand, but at the moment space and skilled labor are at a premium. I would not be surprised to see Vietnam jump ahead of Thailand in 10 years. 

China has always been a dilemma for foreign manufacturers. They almost always require knowledge transfer (how things are made) and the quality issue is very real. But they offered a cheap and nearly endless supply of labor. That's all changing with the current Wuhan Virus crisis pushing many of the problems associated with China to the front, on top of the tariff war with America.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, orang37 said:

Vietnam, not Thailand. The Japanese have long experience with the years and yen outlay required to manufacture here reliably, and that's with industrial sectors like truck/auto involving more manual labor. Manufacturing smaller scale complex goods requiring much more limited tolerance for error to tight deadlines is a different arena.

~o:37;

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/05/coronavirus-apple-microsoft-google-look-to-move-production-away-from-china.html

Google has also asked a manufacturing partner in Thailand to prepare production lines for its so-called smart home products, such as voice assistant-enabled speakers, Nikkei said

Wrong, Thailand will also benefit. 

Thailand has been manufacturing electronics since forever, just remember how the worlds harddisk production was killed off when thailand was flooded... 

Vietnam alone can't take all of the production, it's not big enough. Everyone here will get a share of Companies bailing out of china. 

Made in USA used to really mean something.  Made in Japan still does.  Made in China always makes me laugh.  Oh, it's cheap.....OK, I'll buy 10 because they will break and I don't want to come back for a few days.  

This isn't a big part of the game, I don't think.  I'm much more curious about what Chinese companies and Chinese people in general will do.  With they sell properties around the world and go back home??  Ah, not if they're more money abroad.  So then will they be forced back?  i hope not, that's a slippery slope.

We need to remember all the risks;

1.  always number 1.  nuclear bombs.  always

2.  maybe that EMP thing......you know, shuts off all electricity after a bomb goes off in the sky or something.  i read a book on it.  lol.  

3.  more pandemics; we'll be more ready for the next one

4.  a water problem

5.  elections where people elect crazy people because of covid and those people start wars.  or just plain war.  

6.  banking issues....money.  

7.  other hacking things....

8.  civil unrest.  

what am i missing?    

• Haha 1

Since the corona virus outbreak, there has been a lot of talk in Europe about relocating certain factories back home. I think it’s a very good idea. Many big companies are moving out of China to mostly Vietnam. Even Apple are looking in to it. 

Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia will benefit as they aggressively lobby for tech investment.  Japan has been investing for over 20-years already.

No Taiwan as it no longer is contract manufacturing haven (main export is middle management to oversee factories abroad).

Maybe further investments in USA and Mexico to get around tariffs and shipping expenses.

Doing business in China will continue to sour due to IP transfer/thefts but also increased labor costs.  It isn't cheap to manufacture there anymore but supply-chain availability forces them to continue.