Phuket Governor bans sale of alcohol ‘until further notice’

rooster59

OMG ! Life will cease to have meaning ???? Would I be alone in thinking that there seems to be a movement gathering to place the blame for this virus squarely on the doorstep of the Farang, and not of the country who they had been licking up to the most ? Ironic ain,t it !

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are the governors elected?

He may regret this decision in the future :whistling:

No. They're appointed by the military-backed Government and that's why they're on these power trips. Their earnings are probably decimated at the moment so they remove any sort of enjoyment or freedom from the masses

• Like 2

Well, I guess the reason of the ban is to discourage people to make gatherings. As they will no have so easy access to alcohol that is the center of many social gatherings.

Now, whether this strategy is good or not, is definitely VERY doubtful.

I guess there will be some places here and there where you can still buy booze though. Let's find them ????

A short story: I needed to rent a motorbike right the day after the suddenly forbid motorbike rentals. I called to around 10 stores in the island. All told me they cannot, the police came to their shop and forced them to close and told them they'll get in trouble if they rent a motorbike out. I called the 11 store. He said no problem come over, he was totally legit, made me a really good price, made me a legit contract with legit dates and everything. He said something like "too make fake news online" arguing that is a fake new that they cannot rent out motorbikes. I guess he has a friend in the police or either I cannot understand why he did not care to rent me out the motorbike...

So I guess will be the same for the alcohol.

5 minutes ago, Tarukhtah said:

Well, I guess the reason of the ban is to discourage people to make gatherings. As they will no have so easy access to alcohol that is the center of many social gatherings.

I guess there will be some places here and there where you can still buy booze though. Let's find them ????

A short story: I needed to rent a motorbike right the day after the suddenly forbid motorbike rentals. I called to around 10 stores in the island. All told me they cannot, the police came to their shop and forced them to close and told them they'll get in trouble if they rent a motorbike out. I called the 11 store. He said no problem come over, he was totally legit, made me a really good price, made me a legit contract with legit dates and everything. He said something like "too make fake news online" arguing that is a fake new that they cannot rent out motorbikes. I guess he has a friend in the police or either I cannot understand why he did not care to rent me out the motorbike...

I guess your guess (same for alcohol as for motorbikes) is wrong.

Another guess, this is probably related to songkran.

Edited by stevenl

10 hours ago, Tarukhtah said:

For Asians, food is everything. Drink is secondary but, yes, still important--especially for corporate male office workers.

It is called "fun and games"; this open-end booze ban might be the final signature under the governor's political death sentence.

Instead of enforcing the law (no drunk driving - no exceptions) or introducing a group-size regulation (not more than X persons), he is prohibiting the sale of any alcohol - like the prohibition 90 years ago. 

With this step he is against the traders/dealers, the local customers and all those locked-up tourists. 

On that note, enjoy your Easter smoothie! 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:46 AM, GeorgeCross said:

open ended booze ban?

this is gonna be the final straw for many

Yes indeed - potentially the 3,000 tourists stranded on the island! I wonder if they know of Lao Khao? No doubt being distilled in vast quantities in illicit distilleries around the country at the moment with many "distillers" making a quick fortune! Prohibition Days as in the USA comes to mind! When I lived in a mountain village several years ago, Lao Khao was openly distilled and sold which I purchased at 20 baht per liter for the farm workers at the end of the day - how much these days I have no idea!

• Like 1

If this is to stop gatherings, I don't know how that will go. Maybe they should stop selling Somtam, that is a daily meet and eat session for Thais?

I bought a few just in case, but did not expect it to have no end date. Thought it was just to get us past Songkran, have to ration myself.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, madmitch said:

No. They're appointed by the military-backed Government and that's why they're on these power trips. Their earnings are probably decimated at the moment so they remove any sort of enjoyment or freedom from the masses

Earningsd = Salary?  or other income?

I'm reminded of advice i was given when i first started working abroad..... " Don't give em P*&^ and don't put em in charge "........  Seems as though there's a contest on at the moment to out stupid each other...... Thailand's finished......... It's been a laugh........  Sorry for the people ......

On 4/12/2020 at 1:15 AM, Shiver said:

We have a restaurant with 89 different beers, so not worried about that, but I am worried about not having friends, If not for that then what's the point?

can you sell me beers

On 4/12/2020 at 1:15 AM, Shiver said:

E