Thailand reports 45 new coronavirus cases, two new deaths

rooster59

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

I heard a lot of stories last night about how people are being kept in the provinces they were in when it really started sometime around the end of March. Earthmovers used to pile dirt on the lanes at highway checkpoints. People unable to even leave their villages. So I would argue that measures are being taken.

Not my wife’s village or any village near hers 

I heard a lot of stories last night about how people are being kept in the provinces they were in when it really started sometime around the end of March. Earthmovers used to pile dirt on the lanes at highway checkpoints. People unable to even leave their villages. So I would argue that measures are being taken.

Who told you that nonsense?.....Chang or Leo?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solidpoo said:

BS figures. I dont believe it one bit. Especially with countries with discipline people and much better healthcare like Japan and Singapore are struggling with 100 over cases per day

You mean how well Japan handled the Diamond Princess fiasco?

...Dude Thailand has some of the best healthcare in the world.  Count yourself lucky

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Who told you that nonsense?.....Chang or Leo?

I think the poster has been reading government pronouncements and assuming that they were put into practice. A classic mistake. TIT; rules are rules and enforcement is negligible - OK patchy at best.

We can drive from our province into the heart of the next with little or no signs of checking. That said, again TIT - you cannot generalise about what's going on in the country from a couple of anecdotes. The poster has stories about controls being implemented which may be true; I have a story about there being little control. The stories take you nowhere!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

If the number of deaths are genuine then its great, but you would not have expected a government to plan on the basis of such astounding success (or luck if it is temperature-related). As the Northern Hemisphere has shown this thing can take off and wipe out your treatment capacity in a matter of a fortnight. Apparently has not happened here but I don't blame them for still proceeding with worst case plans.

I may be wrong but I think that hotels are also being lined up more recently in preparation for bringing 14,000 Thais back to Thailand and placing them in quarantine.

Difficult to be sure as there is so little questioning going on by a muzzled press.

I have heard the same, and did read a news article regarding the hotels being used as a location for quarantine. Either on a contract or just for the cost of the food.

What's your issue, dude?

Where?  I don't want hearsay, show me photos or real facts.  That certainly is not happening where I live.  I haven't seen any of the "...piles of dirt".  It sounds like you are spreading some though.  Where do you live?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I had been hoping it was going to drop a bit more than that, but it seems to confirm a downward trend over the last ten days or so.

It would be very handy for numbers to drop away after the Songkran period has passed.

The numbers are dropping because they’re not testing enough people don’t be fooled fooled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

NOT TRUE!!!!!

Look at the numbers of tests and positive results on PR Thai Government Laboratory Testing for COVID-19.

Facts Facts Facts!!!!

What's not true? What Facts Facts Facts!!! are you referring to?

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

How does your local simpleton rationalise the whole country shutting down for 30 deaths in 3 months 

They don't even close down a lane of a road  when 30 passengers are expunged from the records in a minibus crash!

Absolute madness and economic suicide on a scale never seen before

The measures taken make no sense whatsoever unless the authorities know that infections and deaths are well in excess of the official numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welshguy said:

Thats of course an enormous amount of people..In the U.K almost a 1000 have died daily for a few days now....

And that figure is only people dying in hospitals. It does not include deaths in nursing homes and hospices.

There is also a lag of 3-5 days in reporting deaths outside hospitals so the daily figures are currently lower than reality - not by a huge amount though. Today is day 21 of lockdown and is the predicted high point for deaths. Lets hope so.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Weirdly cases have increased by 45 but the number of tests hasn't moved according to worldmeter

And three days ago some observers noted that the number of tests performed went up from 22k to 72k and the number of positives didn't change!

Edited by JCP108
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Surely the people heading the Department/s responsible for the compilation and issuing of these figures are scrupulously honest, competent and beyond reproach?

Something strange going on, seem to have my tongue stuck firmly

in my cheek ! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 448glb said:

The numbers are dropping because they’re not testing enough people don’t be fooled fooled.

Keep the numbers low , we do not want Virus panic .

Thai Government doing a great job .

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

Whatever it is we are still in pretty good shape here and compared to so many other countries... I don’t think anyone will be short of booze either. Just consume it a home. The 10 day ban will actually safe lots of Thai life’s as no more crazy traffic, alcohol and drunken motor bike guys. There is always good and bad so I very happy for the life’s that will be saved. ????????????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Tourists coming back at all this year is pure fantasy. 

I disagree.

I don't see the Thai government keeping it locked up, I don't see the airline companies keeping everything to the ground the rest of the year, and I do see some imbecile backpackers coming. 

I think we can see them as early as July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

This represents 1 death per 2 million people... That's up there with Nigeria, Cameroon, and Russia. All of which I would never buy a government issued pocket calculator from as 2+2 would equal 0.004

And Singapore, Australia or any country with a warmer climate. 

4 hours ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

No country is doing enough testing except South Korea and Taiwan.

Focus in on the ICU admissions, hospitals, and social media, not a tired narrative that wore out in late February

SK and Taiwan are not even in the top 50 of test/population. They were there early, I believe that is what separates them. 

US and Germany by far the most tested by the way. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would hope as well that they would, but pretty sure they are not.  The only true test after death I know of was the man on the train.

One in Nonthaburi also, died at home. He was tested after death. It was recorded on the covidtracker site. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Doubts about data report are a lot, but until we see hospitals full of people, we have no evidence that the numbers given aren't real.

Understanding math and known factors such as transmission rates per infected = 1.5-2.5, means that official Thai govt. numbers are a load of dung.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Guderian said:

They've evidently given up trying to stop the Songkran celebrations in Pattaya, and the attempt to do the same elsewhere seems to amount to little more than a half-baked ban on the sale of alcohol in a few places, a lot of pleading in the media, and a six-hour curfew in the dead of night long after the Songkan revellers will have collapsed to the ground drunk. I hope I'm wrong here, but I have a feeling the numbers are going to start shooting up again in late-April and May. Why is the government risking throwing away everything that has been achieved so far, and indeed potentially making matters far worse, are they really so incapable of controlling their own people?

What do you mean by given up on curtailing Songkran in Pattaya?

Are you saying that there is the usual mayhem involving tens of thousands of

people spraying water everywhere?

I'm sure this would have made the news,or at least been mentioned here by the

many members who live there.

11 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Only 35 deaths since January! Incredible.  980 die in the UK yesterday.

I hope all the dead in Thailand are being tested for the virus?

The difference is quite incredible. I am just left thinking it's the hotter climate.

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Understanding math and known factors such as transmission rates per infected = 1.5-2.5, means that official Thai govt. numbers are a load of dung.

In hot humid climates the R0 is 1.5 , of course if in a crowded cluster like the boxing stadium it could be 2.5 So until there is evidence for the numbers to be way off, and there isn't any, take it for face value. 

5 hours ago, zhounan said:

Doubts about data report are a lot, but until we see hospitals full of people, we have no evidence that the numbers given aren't real.

I've tried (unsuccessfully) before to make the point that with only a 10% increase in the average number of monthly deaths in Thailand (around 48k according to CIA Factbook), you could have had an extra 15k people die. Not all people die at hospitals. Thus, you wouldn't see dead people popping out of hospital windows. Hospitals everywhere (including Thailand) deal with fluctuations in business all the time and fluctuations of that size. (I will add, though I know on absolutely deaf ears, that when Thai hospitals get bumps of, say, 10% of business, posters on TV don't become magically aware and Thai people all over Thailand don't become aware and send us messages via social media.)

I know some of you can do that math in your head and get it...the rest...but, Thai people and Facebook!..parking lots full!...dead people popping out of ICUs!