Thailand reports 45 new coronavirus cases, two new deaths

rooster59

17 hours ago, Enzian said:

I heard a lot of stories last night about how people are being kept in the provinces they were in when it really started sometime around the end of March. Earthmovers used to pile dirt on the lanes at highway checkpoints. People unable to even leave their villages. So I would argue that measures are being taken.

“I`ve heard a lot of stories” or news from reliable media sources? We need to just focus on the latter, not on rumours.

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

In hot humid climates the R0 is 1.5 , of course if in a crowded cluster like the boxing stadium it could be 2.5 So until there is evidence for the numbers to be way off, and there isn't any, take it for face value. 

Then where was the growth curve, the spike, the increase in deaths before infection rate goes back down?

Mathematically, it doesn't grow at flat rate of 100-day for one week and then drop to consistent 50-day afterwards.

Hot climates isn't doing much as Australia is yet to spike and Singapore is reporting more infections.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Koenig said:

How do you rationalise these numbers, when there is no testing being done, unless you pay for it?

And how about not many people being able to pay for said tests?

How do you believe anything the Thai- government feeds you?

It may come as a surprise to you but a test does not prevent someone from dying.

It is very easy to rationalise the numbers - are the queues at the crematorium any longer than normal?

Images have emerged of coffins being buried in a mass grave in New York City, as the death toll from the coronavirus continues to rise.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52241221

On 4/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, Mama Noodle said:

And people believe these numbers? 

19 hours ago, Enzian said:

I heard a lot of stories last night about how people are being kept in the provinces they were in when it really started sometime around the end of March. Earthmovers used to pile dirt on the lanes at highway checkpoints. People unable to even leave their villages. So I would argue that measures are being taken.

they have done that in the province I live in I thought yer good but the main roads are open so the buses and cars from Bangkok came still come so a waist of time and money and someone will run into the sand

13 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

The measures taken make no sense whatsoever unless the authorities know that infections and deaths are well in excess of the official numbers.

Garbage. It is all about preemptive containment rather than any numbers.

Taiwan, which is not part of the World Health Organization (WHO), decided to screen all passengers from Wuhan starting on Dec. 31, the same day it learned of the then-unknown virus in the Chinese city.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/09/taiwan-is-exporting-its-coronavirus-successes-to-the-world/

Thailand suffers from a high mortality rate from flu and pneumonia at the best of times, you never see it reported although in in the last published figures in 2017 it was over 60,000. 

Based on that figure its easy to see why you can have large fluctuations in deaths without it being publicized, no you don't have to have ICU beds over flowing with pneumonia cases for it still to be happening on a more manageable scale. The big question is to be able to compare the 2017 figures to present day to get a sense of whether there has been a spike of cases which have probably not been tested for COVID.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-influenza-pneumonia

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand suffers from a high mortality rate from flu and pneumonia at the best of times, you never see it reported although in in the last published figures in 2017 it was over 60,000. 

Based on that figure its easy to see why you can have large fluctuations in deaths without it being publicized, no you don't have to have ICU beds over flowing with pneumonia cases for it still to be happening on a more manageable scale. The big question is to be able to compare the 2017 figures to present day to get a sense of whether there has been a spike of cases which have probably not been tested for COVID.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-influenza-pneumonia

Can we get at that data somehow to compare?

With only 700 cases in the past 9 days, and barely 15 deaths, it is safe to say this thing has leveled off, and Thailand is out of the woods. If this thing were going to blow up, it would have happened long ago, when millions were visiting from China and Europe. Incubation is only a week or two. Think about it.

The Zombie Apocalypse is NOT on its way. Take a deep breath. Hopefully, the restrictions will start easing soon. 

• Like 1

There are many fatality figures being put out there, this one makes me sit up and think.

Reported in a UK sunday newspaper is the storey of a UK police officer who was called to 15 Covid19 related deaths in either there, or care homes in 24 hours, 15 in 24 hours for 1 serving officer makes the reported hospital deaths figures out of sync.

Uk Reported figures 10/04/2020  Hospital daily death               980

Out of hosp daily death            ?  Total daily death rate,      not reported   

I believe the deaths are fairly accurate. Why do some of these posters live here - so <deleted> negative. 

Thais are doing a great job - community minded, all wear masks, and live in the Tropics ????