Number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand fall for fifth consecutive day

webfact

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

I think it has more to do with diet and temperature here in the tropics.  The map below shows epicentres in temperate zone.!

Covid-19-Map-Climate.png

Yes, I've been convinced for some time that the tropical heat and humidity has a significant effect. What made me ask about the treatments being used, though, is that while Thailand is happily reporting <50 new cases every day now, places with a similar climate like Indonesia, the Philippines and even Singapore are all reporting numbers over 100. Singapore is very rich and can afford any medicine it wants to use, while the other two countries are both poorer than Thailand. Still, Thailand seems to be bucking the regional trend, I just hope it's not that they're better at creative accounting!

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1

28 new cases point to declining Covid-19 infections in Thailand over a week  (Updated)

By The Nation

800_d408ffbef211d43.png?v=1586757672

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,579 with 28 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and two more deaths, Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Monday (April 13). 

The cases can be divided into three groups.

The first group of 18 had close contact with others previously confirmed as infected (mostly nine in Bangkok).

The second group comprised seven – one of whom had just returned from overseas, two who worked in crowded areas or close to foreigners, one who visited a crowded area, and three medical staff.

The last group of three returned from Indonesia and are now under state quarantine in Pattani and Yala.

Meanwhile, 70 people have fully recovered and returned home.

One of the deaths was a 56-year-old man, who had come into close contact with a previous patient. He was said to have influenza on March 14 and later was found to have Covid-19. His condition got worse and he experienced difficulty breathing. He died yesterday.

The other death was of a 43-year-old man who had diabetes. He had gone to a private hospital in Bangkok on March 31 with high fever, cough and diarrhoea and had returned home. On April 5, he was admitted to the same hospital and was found to be infected with Covid-19. He died of respiratory failure yesterday.

As of today, the total number of confirmed virus cases in the country stand at 2,579, with 1,251 under treatment, 1,288 having recovered and been discharged, and 40 dying.

Of the 28 new patients, 12 were in Bangkok, six in Phuket, two each in Yala, Satun, and Chon Buri, and one each in Chumphon, Nakhon Phanom and Nonthaburi.

Globally, there are more than 1.85 million confirmed cases and around 114,000 deaths to date.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385888

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-13

3 minutes ago, Mung said:

'Ativan' aka lorazepam.. uhhh no. Benzodiapeines have been shown to lower your immune system. Why is he prescribing anti anxiety and sleep medication that is not only harmful to the immune system, but physically addictive?

in his long post he did say he wasn't sleeping because of his anxiety so makes sense to me

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

in his long post he did say he wasn't sleeping because of his anxiety so makes sense to me

I wouldn't touch them, especially during that time. There are better ways to get sleep 

Widely used sedatives/sleeping pills linked to increased fatal pneumonia risk: Benzodiazepines affect immune system, study suggests. ... They are also frequently used in palliative care, as a sedative, and to help those with an alcohol problem to "dry out."

4 minutes ago, Mung said:

'Ativan' aka lorazepam.. uhhh no. Benzodiapeines have been shown to lower your immune system. Why is he prescribing anti anxiety and sleep medication that is not only harmful to the immune system, but physically addictive?

Those medications have been given to patients with pneumonia for many years, when they have been hospitalized and placed on Oxygen in order for them to relax enough to sleep.  If not the anxiety of trying to get a breath in hinders the bodies ability to rest and relax in order to intake the necessary oxygen to breathe.  My mother who has emphysema and had a severe case of pneumonia in October of last year almost died at the hospital because she could not relax due to anxieties, and let her respiratory system work as needed.  The patients are monitored very closely, because "yes any amount of a Benzo can slow your breathing down and stop you from breathing when sleeping, just like an Opioid.

• Like 1

A small study of chloroquine, which is closely related to the hydroxychloroquine drug President Trump has enthusiastically promoted, was halted in Brazil after coronavirus patients taking a higher dose developed irregular heart rates that increased their risk of a potentially fatal arrhythmia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-3a4329a6

Edited by Lodestone
Added quotes text.

Manages to infect 28 in a day out of a country of 60 million? Sissy virus, nyah nyah. Yep, that's me mooning you, C-19.  I know it's a big invitation. Try to get in the back door. I dare you, I double dare you.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The civil registration is very poor in Thailand. Remember the over crowded busses leaving Bangkok to all directions in Thailand. There has to be a much larger number of infections which are likely not registered. The normal rate of spreading the virus is 1:3. So this number should be rapidly increase exponentially. So beware of a later outcome of much higher risks than it seems to be now....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

I think it has more to do with diet and temperature here in the tropics.  The map below shows epicentres in temperate zone.!

Covid-19-Map-Climate.png

How does the diet affect things?

• Haha 2

A post in violation of fair use policy has been and the replies have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You say nonsense but you have no idea really. An extensive post on facebook earlier from a patient in Thailand who recovered listing everything that happened and medication and hydroxychloriquin was listed, unless you were there you don't know. Get on facebook and go find it

Well if it was on Facebook it must be true. Obviously the USA is not using this miracle treatment with its  22,000 deaths and rising. 

Edited by busa

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Good news.

One thing that intrigues me about these numbers is how low the death rate is and the relatively high number of recoveries (around 50%, compared with a bit over 20% globally at present). Notwithstanding people's doubts about the numbers themselves, I'm wondering if these encouraging trends have anything to do with them using favipiravir to treat the patients, or at least the worst cases?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

That might be a possible factor. That as well as the close proximity to the equator, which leads to a greater heat that apparently is slowing the virus down as well as minimising the effects of the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Amazing Thailand living up to its TAT slogan... Must be same think tank that's coming with these CV19 stats...

Yes, keep up the good work! Always have something to blur the good news with, disregarding if it´s just a bunch of words put together to create a popular phrase that has no foundation in reality.

• Confused 1