34 new Covid-19 cases in Thailand

webfact

34 new Covid-19 cases in Thailand

By THE NATION

800_da82743b273c953.jpg?v=1586840014

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,613 with 34 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and one more death, Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Tuesday (April 14).

Of the total cases, 1,405 have fully recovered and there have been 41 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385957

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-14

Thailand reports 34 new coronavirus cases, one more death

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Tuesday reported 34 new coronavirus cases and a death of a 52-year old Thai female bus driver in Bangkok.

Of the new cases, 27 patients are linked to previous cases, four with no links to old cases, while two people who tested positive are awaiting investigation into how they were infected, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

A Thai national who tested positive on Tuesday was already under quarantine after traveling to South Sulawesi province, Indonesia for a religious gathering last month.

Since the outbreak escalated in January, Thailand has reported a total of 2,613 cases and 41 fatalities, while 1,405 patients have recovered and gone home.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-14

6 minutes ago, champers said:

41 deaths so far. Double that number die on the roads every day.

Not exactly comparable Champers.  How many people die each day at the hands of incompetent surgeons?  How many die from non-motor vehicle accidents?  how many actually die from pneumonia?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is it relevant to the COVID-19 Pandemic, No its not so please stop the diatribe of road deaths.  This OP is about the new cases as of this days news cycle.  Enjoy what you can find solace in.  I wonder whether the death of the bus driver had anything to do with Lumpini, or tourists, or where in Bangkok.  It does not say as of yet.  I will wait for more relevant information to be shared with us.

This blue thing https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385957    found at the top of the page, is called a link. If you click on it, you may be able to answer some of your own questions.

Edited by Aland
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Lots of sick buffaloes coming then

you're right there, I'm getting requests to feed the buffaloes daily. i did my smallest transfer to a girl yesterday, 30 baht.

I offered a girl i know that I'd buy food for her, she wanted cigarettes instead

Edited by scubascuba3

36 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's 34 cases that managed to run the gauntlet of restrictive PUI criteria and confirmed positive by both army and MoPH refererence labs and are having symptoms.

If they add one more hurdle to their spec it should drop to zero by tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, none of the 50k private test in the apparently leaked MoPH document are included. Must've all been negatives, an early easter miracle.

Or they were too old to retest, but then if properly stored, blood in a sealed vial can be retested.  Same as DNA sequencing.....but then what do I know...

32 minutes ago, Aland said:

This blue thing https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385957    found at the top of the page, is called a link. If you click on it, you may be able to answer some of your own questions.

Ok so yes she drank with her friends who became infected as well, and became the 41st fatality.  Still does not answer where in Bangkok, at what location, or in what venue now does it.  Would be nice to know also a time frame, and how long if she was hospitalized....not all of the questions can be answered.  But I do thankyou on where to look for the rest of the story.....its not like I did not read it prior to my post. So Thank you for your kind assistance....

Deciding against mass testing ( referenced in another thread) because it’s not cost effective is a strange one. If just one asymptomatic carrier of the virus is found, then it prevents many others from unknowingly being infected.

i would have thought it to be desirable, no matter the cost.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

This Thai man wrote a very long but informative account of his treatment when he returned from the UK. Possibly a mild case but he did seem to have excellent care with every precaution taken.

Note sample taken on 20th, he fit PUI criteria (returned from UK), results available 3 days later on 23rd. Consistent with other reports I've seen and an indication of the testing capability.

Somebody with free time could crosscheck if the other cases he mentioned are included in the official confirmed cases or not.

He has been working at Hilary Bar in Soi Nana and his 20 colleague who are working at the same bar got COVID-19 infection at the same time.

Here's a nugget for the "but why are the hospitals not overflowing":

This is very new ward which just been completed as the premium ward but now are using for all COVID-19 patients.

They've opened up new capacity.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Note sample taken on 20th, he fit PUI criteria (returned from UK), results available 3 days later on 23rd. Consistent with other reports I've seen and an indication of the testing capability.

Yes true, also not he quarantined the recommended 14 days with no symptoms, but they appeared on day 20, so 14 in his case was not enough.

17 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes true, also not he quarantined the recommended 14 days with no symptoms, but they appeared on day 20, so 14 in his case was not enough.

I think you misread.  He returned on the 16th of March and on the 17th of March and started his self quarantine, it was on the 20th of March that he had the symptoms and went to the hospital, not on the 20th day after his return as you have listed indicating a 14 day quarantine was not enough.  Sorry to point out the error you made.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

That's 34 cases that managed to run the gauntlet of restrictive PUI criteria and confirmed positive by both army and MoPH refererence labs and are having symptoms.

If they add one more hurdle to their spec it should drop to zero by tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, none of the 50k private test in the apparently leaked MoPH document are included. Must've all been negatives, an early easter miracle.

Any idea where the 32,000 PUI's are?Are they kept in hospital or do they self quarantine?If in hospital and there's no noticeable increase in activity then I suspect a few thousand increase in pneumonia deaths would also be hard to notice? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think you misread.  He returned on the 16th of March and on the 17th of March and started his self quarantine, it was on the 20th of March that he had the symptoms and went to the hospital, not on the 20th day after his return as you have listed indicating a 14 day quarantine was not enough.  Sorry to point out the error you made.

No probem, I am only human ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

Totally agree. It's a moronic argument. The other one is that the flu kills more people every year than COVID-19 has. Yeah! In sheer numbers but if we let down our guard we'll have a situation like New York City. ...

And actually, if you look at just the statistics so far this year from Jan 1., Covid is killing many more people than the flu in the US.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Any idea where the 32,000 PUI's are?Are they kept in hospital or do they self quarantine?If in hospital and there's no noticeable increase in activity then I suspect a few thousand increase in pneumonia deaths would also be hard to notice? 

Some vague idea, from the guidelines:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_cpc.pdf

1) Isolate patient, wear face mask, or admit the patient in the single room or isolation room if the criteria is met, no need to be admitted in AIIR

That single room could mean home isolation, as is mentioned in this one, a bit newer, for medical personnel:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_CPG.pdf

1) Have patient wear face mask and wait in a designated area or home quarantine with provided guidelines while waiting for test results. If
clinically indicated, admit a patient in a single room or isolation room if the criteria are met, no need to be admitted in AIIR.

If I put 2 & 2 together, it looks like they've recently modified it so that those that are not yet clinically confirmed, may wait at home for the results. 

If they've crammed 32k PUIs in hospitals (less because it's cumulative, some have recovered or tested negative), well, apparently they can keep the medics silent about it. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thailand will have very little herd immunity based on the cases here and the "it's hot here" theory so i guess little to stop a 2nd and 3rd wave

We do not know this. It is possible there have been a very large number of asymptomatic and mild cases dating back to at least January, possibly even December. Certainly known travel patterns from China to Thailand would argue in favor of this for at least Bangkok, CM and other destinations popular with the Chinese.

Would need to do a statistically representative study of antibody titers in the population to know.

• Like 1