Show Me The Money

I'm probably hoping for too much but does anyone know if the requirement to demonstrate the 800k/400k baht balance in the bank 3 months after retirement visa issue is still in effect?

I'm asking since the 90-day reporting has been frozen temporarily and I'm not keen to visit the IO if it can be avoided. Cheers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do whatever you want to do with the 400k baht until you need it in the bank for 2 months again.

Some offices are wanting to it in the bank when you return to get get your one year extension stamp at the end of the under consideration period.

Can I just check. Isn't it 3 months? I see so many sites giving different answers.

41 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Can I just check. Isn't it 3 months? I see so many sites giving different answers.

It is 2 months for extensions of stay based upon marriage (been the same for over a decade) and retirement (it was 3 prior to March of 2019).

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, nauseus said:

Thanks Joe. It's the 800k one at Jomtien.

Did my initial 90-day yesterday at Jomtien. Did NOT need to show passbook

or proof of 800,000 baht in bank. In and out in (literally) 1 minute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

When I last renewed (Jomtien, February) I was not given a form

I renewed retirement in early March and I was given a form. So seems very variable even at Jomtien.

I will see what the situation is in June when I am due to go and report it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siamike said:

I just completed my 1 year visa renewal last week at the Rayong office and they still want to see my bank book at my next 90 day visit.  They even stapled a reminder note into my passport.  

image.png

Pretty silly Request, But not to bad .Can update Fixed Deposit Bankbook yourself at the ATM.  :wai:

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Many appear to be conflating two entirely separate things:

90 day report is required if you have been in the Kingdom for 90 days.  This requirement has currently been suspended.

The requirement to maintain a balance in your account for a period following renewing an Annual Extension of Stay (commonly but incorrectly called retirement or marriage visa) remains extant.  SOME offices have been requiring SOME people to return after an extension is granted to verify this.  If you have not been handed a form (example above in thread) requiring you to return, then you are not required to.  If you have been handed a form I have no idea if this is currently being waived. When I last renewed (Jomtien, February) I was not given a form so will not be returning in May ( I will do my 90 day report, which happens to conicide with three months after my new extension, online using the android app). 

However, anecdotal evidence from those who have been given forms is that their return is not documented anywhere, so it could be safe to ignore even if requirement is currently still in force; up to you.

But please understand the difference - and complete lack of connection - between 90 day report and showing continued bank balance.

PH

Patumthani do staple the return form in your passport and require you to return. I am do to go mid next month and will watch for announcements. There have been comments from some that didn't bother that they received a phone call telling them to.

Again, as offices do things differently, it's always best to check with your own office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The requirement to maintain a balance in your account for a period following renewing an Annual Extension of Stay (commonly but incorrectly called retirement or marriage visa) remains extant.

You don't need to maintain the balance in your account for the visa extension based on marriage.

4 hours ago, PaulDee said:

Did my initial 90-day yesterday at Jomtien. Did NOT need to show passbook

or proof of 800,000 baht in bank. In and out in (literally) 1 minute!

The 90 days report has nothing to do with the 90 days 800k in the bank check. And you didn't have to do your 90 days report,because they are suspended until further notice.

Thanks for all your comments. On 31 Jan I was given a paper to return on 27 April to show 800k still there. Next day went to get my passport with new retirement/extension (visa) and told them I had lost the paper. Was told not to worry, just show up. Did a 90 day early March and checked at retirement desk and they said to still come and show money on 27th (as above). But since Feb several mates have said that they are not required to show the money 90 days hence and those that have shown up to declare funds are told "ah OK" after a quick look but nothing is entered into their database or whatever they may have.  So the whole thing seems rather arbitrary, confusing and unnecessary. Having said that I suppose I will have to go but under the present circumstances it seems that this visit should be knocked on the head, at least temporarily, on the same health basis as 90 day reporting.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mirage said:

I was told that I must keep 800k for the next 3 months. What is the law ?. If you keep in excess of that amount but don't go back and show it. Have you broken any law ?.

You do not have to go back unless your office tells you to. Only a few offices are wanting it done.

36 minutes ago, mirage said:

I was told that I must keep 800k for the next 3 months. What is the law ?. If you keep in excess of that amount but don't go back and show it. Have you broken any law ?.

You have no broken a law. You have disqualified yourself. In theory, your extension could be canceled, although I do not think anyone has reported this happening. The real issue, beyond whether or not any given IO requires the evidence at the 3 month mark, is that when you apply for your extension next year, they can certainly state that you did not meet the requirement and they will not approve your next extension. I do not know if anyone has encountered this, since we are still coming up on the second round of extensions after the rule was changed, but I think this will definitely be an issue for some folks. In my opinion, in terms of enforcing the rule, this would be the simplest and most effective way.

7 hours ago, siamike said:

I just completed my 1 year visa renewal last week at the Rayong office and they still want to see my bank book at my next 90 day visit.  They even stapled a reminder note into my passport.  

image.png

I have to do my retirement extension on the 29th of April, did they require a map from you, I have never had to submit one. Thank You for a response

4 minutes ago, timendres said:

You have no broken a law. You have disqualified yourself. In theory, your extension could be canceled, although I do not think anyone has reported this happening. The real issue, beyond whether or not any given IO requires the evidence at the 3 month mark, is that when you apply for your extension next year, they can certainly state that you did not meet the requirement and they will not approve your next extension. I do not know if anyone has encountered this, since we are still coming up on the second round of extensions after the rule was changed, but I think this will definitely be an issue for some folks. In my opinion, in terms of enforcing the rule, this would be the simplest and most effective way.

Yes, those who didn't maintain the minimums for the previous year, (or who had a monthly-payment error delay a deposit, etc) will almost certainly be "upgraded" into the IO's "golden ticket fund" category - the agent-only pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1