PEA Deposit returned to Thai Nationals and businesses

A recent innovation from the electric company (PEA) was to return the deposit paid to Thai nationals and businesses for their electricity to ease the pressure on families and Covid 19. This you had to do online and the local offices and headquarters were referring you back to this if you turned up on their doorstep. I bought and live in my Condo on Samui and one year ago I paid the 4K deposit required. This was a changeover by the Developer/Owner of my Condo to get all the Condos put in the individual names. (I have since understood that Thai people and businesses only pay 2K). And while having difficulty with their website I got the lady in our office to phone 1129. She was told that the only people that qualify for the rebate are Thai nationals and Businesses. Has anyone else had similar problems with this or even been successful in retrieving their deposits with no problem? I have all the bills in my name and even still have the receipt for 4K for my deposit. 

Edited by cowleyboy
Spellig mistake

My CONDO is residential. I bought it in 2008 and have lived in it since 2011. I fail to see the difference as I own and I live in it. There must be Thai nationals in a similar position to me and have had their deposit returned to them. 

1 hour ago, cowleyboy said:

My CONDO is residential. I bought it in 2008 and have lived in it since 2011. I fail to see the difference as I own and I live in it. There must be Thai nationals in a similar position to me and have had their deposit returned to them. 

If the meter deposit is on your name, yours probably is as you said your bill is in your name but check it on the receipt then you are good to go make sure the name on your bank account is the same as with the meter deposit/bills.

If asked for ID number use your ID number that is in your yellow book.

Good luck and have patience, they are returning the deposit in order of application.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, Metropolitian said:

If the meter deposit is on your name, yours probably is as you said your bill is in your name but check it on the receipt then you are good to go make sure the name on your bank account is the same as with the meter deposit/bills.

If asked for ID number use your ID number that is in your yellow book.

Good luck and have patience, they are returning the deposit in order of application.

Meter in wifes name, I paid deposit, she claimed it back 2000 baht I think. I asked her where the deposit was and already got it from 7/11 forgot to tell me.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, Metropolitian said:

No they,re not....wifeys been waiting nearly 2 weeks (processing)....friends just a few days....T.I.T.

I went into my PEA on Phangan and asked about the deposit they just played dumb and shrugged there shoulders and with that I just walked out I couldn’t be bothered wasting my time and energy trying to get a few baht back I’m not that desperate thankfully.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, CLS said:

This is incorrect, at least for Pattaya.  I have gotten refunds for meter deposits for a number of different condos I have owned in my name in foreign quota.   My partner and I went yesterday to the PEA office in Naklua and I got several refunds--some for condos I owned a number of years ago.  We also did one about a month ago.  My partner, who is Thai, has also gotten refunds for condos that we bought in his name.  He was able to do his refunds on-line and have the money deposited into his Green Bank account but I, apparently, had to do mine in person as a foreigner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I went into my PEA on Phangan and asked about the deposit they just played dumb and shrugged there shoulders and with that I just walked out I couldn’t be bothered wasting my time and energy trying to get a few baht back I’m not that desperate thankfully.

It's not always just a few baht.  We had to put 15,000 baht down as a deposit on our current meter--don't ask me why the deposit isn't the same for all condos and why this particular condo project was at the very top of what they require for a deposit.  Some of our deposits were 2000 baht and one was 6000 baht--for condos from 1 to 3 bedrooms.  

35 minutes ago, newnative said:

It's not always just a few baht.  We had to put 15,000 baht down as a deposit on our current meter--don't ask me why the deposit isn't the same for all condos and why this particular condo project was at the very top of what they require for a deposit.  Some of our deposits were 2000 baht and one was 6000 baht--for condos from 1 to 3 bedrooms.  

Electric meter deposit determined as follows:

5 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 300

15 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 2,000

30 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 5,000

15 amp three phase (4 wires) = THB 6,000

30 amp three phase (4 wires) = THB 15,000

• Like 2

Where is the refund application on the PEA website.  I see a number of PEA downloads but they refer to refund of insurance.  Is the application online or do you need to physically fill out some refund form and mail it in?  

7 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Electric meter deposit determined as follows:

5 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 300

15 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 2,000

30 amp single phase (2 wires) = THB 5,000

15 amp three phase (4 wires) = THB 6,000

30 amp three phase (4 wires) = THB 15,000

Thanks.   Good to know.  

@cowleyboy my local pea office told me that I cannot do it online but I have the right to get the refund back and for me to come back when the government lifts the current order for only essentials to be opened because they have closed their desk in the pea office that takes applications etc.  So at the end of April I will go back.

6 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Meter in wifes name, I paid deposit, she claimed it back 2000 baht I think. I asked her where the deposit was and already got it from 7/11 forgot to tell me.

555   555  I believe that. That she got the Money but I m not sure that she Forgot to Tell You.

23 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

@cowleyboy my local pea office told me that I cannot do it online but I have the right to get the refund back and for me to come back when the government lifts the current order for only essentials to be opened because they have closed their desk in the pea office that takes applications etc.  So at the end of April I will go back.

I was told something similar, basically: Online system is setup to require a Thai national ID number, which foreigners do not have.

But probably they can do this “manually” in May or June by filling out some forms at the PEA office, but this procedure has yet to be established and is (understandably) not a priority item at the moment.

15 hours ago, lkn said:

I was told something similar, basically: Online system is setup to require a Thai national ID number, which foreigners do not have.

But probably they can do this “manually” in May or June by filling out some forms at the PEA office, but this procedure has yet to be established and is (understandably) not a priority item at the moment.

It has been established at some PEA offices--the Naklua office in Pattaya, for example.  If the meter is in a foreign name, I would make sure you bring your passport as that is how they accessed my records.  If you changed passports, bring your old passport, as well.  Some of my deposits from 5 or 6 years ago were on my old passport and they were only able to find them with my old passport number.  Possibly other PEA offices use a different system to access records but this one used my passports.  As you said, meters with Thai name can be done on-line.