Denied Automatic Extension

Hello,

I visited my nearest immigration office and was told that my entry wasn't eligible for automatic extension according to the amnesty rules from March 26th. 

My passport has a METV that was valid until 25 feb 2020. I did a border run on 24 feb 2020 and received a new entry that's valid until 23 April 2020.

Since my VISA expired on February 25th the immigration in Surat Thani stated that the automatic extension did not apply to me. I find it strange, because my tourist stamp is admitted until 23rd of April. They moved on to say that I had to extend it myself and pay the normal fee, but I didn't do it yet because the lady I was talking to seemed confused when she looked at the expiry of my METV, and the new entry I received. 

Could they be mistaken or am I fully excluded from the automatic extension? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have current POS till April 23.

You are covered under amnesty.

Are you sure?

The amnesty notice stated that it only applied to those who entered Thailand after March 25.

10 minutes ago, hugolars said:

Hi,

I have same situation. Under normal circumstances I would have extended the 60 days with another 30 days for 1900 bath.
What to do now? Extend at immigration or does amnesty cover?

If you entered Thailand before March 26, I believe that you must extend your stay at immigration.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, hugolars said:

Hi,

I have same situation. Under normal circumstances I would have extended the 60 days with another 30 days for 1900 bath.
What to do now? Extend at immigration or does amnesty cover?

When does current permission of stay end. After march 26 do nothing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:
11 minutes ago, timendres said:

Are you sure?

The amnesty notice stated that it only applied to those who entered Thailand after March 25.

The amnesty clearly states 'permission of stay' ending after 26th March.

2. For an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom according to their type of visa (including Visa on Arrival) and an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom according to their visa exemption privileges (P. 30/PP. 14/ PP. 30/PP. 90) whose specified period of time permitted for stay in the Kingdom expires as from 26 March B.E. 2563 (2020):

The OP's Immigration office have got it wrong.

Thank you for clarifying that.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

He has no POS (point of sale). He has a permission to stay.

Again with nit picking. Remind me not to use VE so in the context it's used someone would not understand I'm referring to visa exempt etc

I  used term "permission of stay" in post #5

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

That doesn't mean anything . It All depends on your Local IMM Office/ Officer. 

Quote fact. Misleading post in critical times. Post ONE example to support your nonsense. The imm officer in this thread was 100% in error. Easily fixed. Be aware of facts and be polite. It would have been sorted.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not nit picking. He has a valid point. Not everybody would understand what a POS is.

How much harder is it write "permission of stay".

Now back on topic.

To the OP you do qualify under the ministerial order. You do not need to apply for an extension now. You could use it when the emergency decrees ends instead of leaving the country.

Does this mean that my admission has been extended until 23 May 2020, or is it based on the last date of the decree which is 30 April 2020 until 30 May 2020? 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, DrJack54 said:

You have current POS till April 23.

You are covered under amnesty.

But as we all know, individual Immigration offices can make up their own rules leaving you swinging in the wind.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
24 minutes ago, ddddan said:

I have to bring this up again.

I'm on amnesty until Sept 26th and I haven't done any extensions yet. Can I apply for an extension and receive 30 days until Oct 26? When is the best time to do so?

@ubonjoe

No, you cannot unless you have an embassy letter.  However, keep the hope alive an extension to the amnesty is granted. 

41 minutes ago, ddddan said:

I have to bring this up again.

I'm on amnesty until Sept 26th and I haven't done any extensions yet. Can I apply for an extension and receive 30 days until Oct 26? When is the best time to do so?

@ubonjoe

If you entered on a tourist visa or visa exempt, you are eligible for a 30-day extension. Whether you will actually receive it seems to depend on the immigration office where you are applying. The timing of your application does not matter, and if the extension is granted, it will expire October 26. Many offices will refuse to provide the normal 30-day extension while on amnesty and will insist that you can only get a 30-day extension with an embassy letter.

The situation has become even more confusing with reports on a new stamp, available at some offices under some circumstances, that converts your amnesty extension into a real stamp in your passport confirmed a permission to stay until September 26. This stamp seems mostly to be intended as the precursor to a "conversion visa" for those intending to stay in Thailand as retirees or to stay with their Thai spouses.

What is your long term plan? Unless you intend to return to your home country in October, you should be looking further ahead than just the 30-day extension.

My advice is to immediately determine your local immigration office's policy. Do not wait until many of your options (even using agents) are no longer available because you waited too long.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you entered on a tourist visa or visa exempt, you are eligible for a 30-day extension. Whether you will actually receive it seems to depend on the immigration office where you are applying. The timing of your application does not matter, and if the extension is granted, it will expire October 26. Many offices will refuse to provide the normal 30-day extension while on amnesty and will insist that you can only get a 30-day extension with an embassy letter.

The situation has become even more confusing with reports on a new stamp, available at some offices under some circumstances, that converts your amnesty extension into a real stamp in your passport confirmed a permission to stay until September 26. This stamp seems mostly to be intended as the precursor to a "conversion visa" for those intending to stay in Thailand as retirees or to stay with their Thai spouses.

What is your long term plan? Unless you intend to return to your home country in October, you should be looking further ahead than just the 30-day extension.

My advice is to immediately determine your local immigration office's policy. Do not wait until many of your options (even using agents) are no longer available because you waited too long.

I entered with a METV. 

I'm in the process of getting an ED Visa and my documents are already submitted to MOD. However, I'm not sure if time is on my side, hence the need for 30 day extension. I will be checking with IO. 

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Many offices will refuse to provide the normal 30-day extension while on amnesty and will insist that you can only get a 30-day extension with an embassy letter.

4 hours ago, ddddan said:

I'm in the process of getting an ED Visa

My understanding is that if you get a special extension with an embassy letter, you can not apply for an ed visa.  If they will give you your regular 30 day extension that you haven't used, that is fine.  But don't use the embassy letter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

My understanding is that if you get a special extension with an embassy letter, you can not apply for an ed visa.  If they will give you your regular 30 day extension that you haven't used, that is fine.  But don't use the embassy letter.

Where did you get that info from?