Permanent residence: Thailand welcomes foreign investors and people with families

webfact

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Sister in law did it all.. Took about 5 years from arrival.. With all the free school, free language classes, free assistance.. 

Now a citizen with benefits, pensions, land ownership rights, etc etc.. While at the same time working has purchased 3 houses in Thailand with money she made there. 

My mates girlfriend did the same, five years in England, own business, nationality, making a mint..... Asked her if she'd come back to Thailand to live ?  Looked at me like i'd lost the plot........ Why ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How old was she? What was her job, if she was old enough? 

Oooh, the indignation !   The lady was in her late twenties, came from the border between Cambodia/Thailand at Poipet, always wore army trousers and hung around years ago on 7/1 Suk..... I asked why the trousers ? she said it was because being brought up on the border and PI&^ poor i used to get cast off clothes from the soldiers....     Anything else you'd like to know.........  Just as a matter of interest, how long have you been in Thailand... ?   Is your stamp dry yet ? 

7 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Oooh, the indignation !   The lady was in her late twenties, came from the border between Cambodia/Thailand at Poipet, always wore army trousers and hung around years ago on 7/1 Suk..... I asked why the trousers ? she said it was because being brought up on the border and PI&^ poor i used to get cast off clothes from the soldiers....     Anything else you'd like to know.........  Just as a matter of interest, how long have you been in Thailand... ?   Is your stamp dry yet ? 

Late 20's yet you call her a girl, that's confusing. Soi7/1, say no more regarding her job.

Sounds like the ideal Thai person to take marriage advice from :cheesy:

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Late 20's yet you call her a girl, that's confusing. Soi7/1, say no more regarding her job.

Sounds like the ideal Thai person to take marriage advice from :cheesy:

If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that any border lady is basically a woman at 15, seen more life and had more experience than you could probably dream up...... Go on tell me how long you've been here ?  I need a laugh.....  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that any border lady is basically a woman at 15, seen more life and had more experience than you could probably dream up...... Go on tell me how long you've been here ?  I need a laugh.....  

I agree that many 15 year olds are woman -  but you said "I'm reminded of what a Thai girl once told me," rather condescending, ain't it?

Out of interest, would you take marriage counsel from a sex worker in your own country?

I see no relevance to the number of years I have lived in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree that many 15 year olds are woman -  but you said "I'm reminded of what a Thai girl once told me," rather condescending, ain't it?

Out of interest, would you take marriage counsel from a sex worker in your own country?

I see no relevance to the number of years I have lived in Thailand.

Why did you presume she was a sex worker, just because she hung around 7/1 ?  A lot of other "Workers" hung around there as well..... As i said, is your stamp dry yet ? because like a lot of people on TVF you don't have the experience to voice opinions regarding Thailand....... The general opinion is 15 years, ability to speak the language and have ventured out further than BIg C.......  Woman, girl, individual without a phalus..... pretty much the same......   I knew you wouldn't tell me your time here......... It shows though...... 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

The general opinion is 15 years, ability to speak the language and have ventured out further than BIg C

Is the opinion of tourists, like yourself? And btw, I speak Thai.

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've had nothing but nice times with Thai ladies (for very reasonable amounts of money)

One Thai wife, one Thai LTR girlfriend, many short times .........

All enjoyable and memorable.

Compared to the Brit schoolteacher that tormented me any cheated on me for 30 years .... they were all saints.

The great thing about Thailand, there's no judge to hand a woman all your hard earned assets, if you gave her too much, you only have yourself to blame.

As for the OP ....... pay a fortune for PR in a country whose government hates me ......... no thanks.

Yeah same same, had an English teaching girlfriend for seven years, turned out she was on the batter for six of those years with a written account diary of all of her exploits, made 50 shades of grey look like a ladybird book on cookery.......  As for Thai women, had thirty years of mostly nice experiences, one or two nutters, but mostly ok..... the secret was though...... "If it flys, floats or F&^%s", rent it........  Spent most of my working life contracting and offshore, heard every horror story there is concerning women.....  Coming from the North of England you'll only get what you're worth from me, nothing more.......   But it's all been a giggle.......  

I fully agree with your last comment though, why bow down to people who'd rather hoof you up the chuff. ?..... Nah, do what they do and keep them on their toes......  When i was leaving Thailand last year going into Malaysia the immigration officer asked me why i was leaving Thailand and how long will i be staying in Malaysia ?  The answer which was screaming out of my passport was that my visa was up, and as long as i want was the answer to the latter question, something she did not appear to like........ Plus the visa's free....... Big smiles all round........ 

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Hey i speak Thai as well .......  Hey i think i can hear your mother calling you...... time for tea...... Bye.... 

You are very condescending. 

When I say that I speak Thai, I mean fluently. A few years ago when applying for Thai citizenship, I got full points on the Thai language test. But I guess you do as well, being a tourist. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are very condescending. 

When I say that I speak Thai, I mean fluently. A few years ago when applying for Thai citizenship, I got full points on the Thai language test. But I guess you do as well, being a tourist. 

Why on earth would i want Thai citizenship ?  Mmmmm, sound as though you're wearing a silver bangle mate...... All the best of luck anyway.......  I speak fluent Thai as well..... But i don't want to be Thai, i have a nationality that allows me freedom of movement....... Unlike a Thai....... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, garyk said:

IMHO, with Thailand now on a linear trajectory with CCP views. Anyone wanting to invest or retire in Thailand is in for a world of hurt. Anyone retired, that can get out of Thailand should get out. This is not thing to be taken lightly. 

That trend has been there since 2014. It's likely to accelerate now. I initiated my slow exit plan in 2016, when people were still doing "China good, China good good". I guess I'll have to re-verify Plan C & D to match current situation.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I doubt foreigner investors will feel welcomed by the 49%-51% ownership guidelines !!

I have never noticed it being an issue for foreign investors. Care to name some global brands who are not here but wont come because of the 49-51% 'issue'?

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That trend has been there since 2014. It's likely to accelerate now. I initiated my slow exit plan in 2016, when people were still doing "China good, China good good". I guess I'll have to re-verify Plan C & D to match current situation.

Yet you are still here 4 years later and still moaning everyday. Why not just leave? It seems to be tearing you apart here.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I have never noticed it being an issue for foreign investors. Care to name some global brands who are not here but wont come because of the 49-51% 'issue'?

Well how would it work for yourself?

invest here 100% Of the capital and then own just 49% of the business ?

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well how would it work for yourself?

invest here 100% Of the capital and then own just 49% of the business ?

Why could you not own all of it? Loads of 100% foreign owned thai businesses. There is no regulation on that. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, garyk said:

IMHO, with Thailand now on a linear trajectory with CCP views. Anyone wanting to invest or retire in Thailand is in for a world of hurt. Anyone retired, that can get out of Thailand should get out. This is not thing to be taken lightly. 

Said it years ago, just treat it as lightly as you can, because any serious involvement here is only going to end in tears.......  Nothing you can't pick up and run with.....  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, garyk said:

Why not just have the PR and if the worse case happens you can leave like anyone else?

Where is the negative in having PR? If you are eligible, and can do it, it makes staying here less onerous. It does not mean you cannot walk away from it like anyone on a tourist or retirement visa could aswell.

As far as i can see there is zero downside to having PR.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:23 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Too late ..Regarding the farang; they relocate home
So they want to speed up the process that will make Thailand a Chinese province

Explain to me how the "maximum 100 per nationality" is in favour of the Chinese. Last time I checked there are more western countries than China's (there are two).

On 4/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, smutcakes said:

Why not just have the PR and if the worse case happens you can leave like anyone else?

Where is the negative in having PR? If you are eligible, and can do it, it makes staying here less onerous. It does not mean you cannot walk away from it like anyone on a tourist or retirement visa could aswell.

As far as i can see there is zero downside to having PR.

It cancels 90 day reports and reports of where you slept last night etc., and annual reapplication for retirement visas etc., and after a few years the PR costs are offset by the savings in no further visa runs / annual reapplication for retirement visas etc.

For folks with PR you never have to go to immigration again unless you need an exit/re-entry stamp which is a rubber stamp exercise, and PR gives you a 99.9% guarantee you will never be separated from your family unless you get a criminal record or similar. Worth it's weight in gold. But of course horses for courses.

Edited by scorecard

On 4/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, smutcakes said:

Yet you are still here 4 years later and still moaning everyday. Why not just leave? It seems to be tearing you apart here.

Took 2 years to get western passports for my stepkids (needed to adopt them) and when I was about to pull the trigger in 2018, we found out their English was not on par to get into decent schools in Singapore. So they are now getting grades in an international school here and once that is done, gone. It's not about me, but if you don't have a family, I guess impossible for you to understand.

And yes it's like shoving a brass pineapple up the trademan's each morning.