Permanent residence: Thailand welcomes foreign investors and people with families

webfact

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why would I even bother, it offers me nothing, I have Citizenship in my own country which is worth it's weight in gold.

Thailand is behind the rest of the world, example: my Thai wife applied for her permanent residency after getting married in Australia, she was granted permanent residency after 2 years, after that she applied for Australian Citizenship and received that 2 years later, she now has dual citizenships.

What is so precious about permanent residency in Thailand, marriage or retirement extensions are enough, albeit they are very repetative and waste a lot of paper and peoples time, both sides of the fence.

It must have been some time ago, now it's 5 years for PR and 4 years continuous for citizenship! All applications are vetted by Indians or Mauritians and can be rejected out of hand, the system exists for appeal but it's never granted! Yes, I'm rather bitter (with reason)!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, renz said:

anyone here having a PR ? what is the cost of applying for one ? as a PR still need to apply for work permit for work and business ? what is the real benefits ? disadvantages of having a PR ?

It is written in English and Thai in all Immigration offices.
It costs 7800 baht of non-refundable registration fees if your application is refused.
Those who are married to a Thai national pay half as much as those who make an individual request which costs around 170,000 baht.
The main advantage (there are others) is that when you are PR, you no longer do the annual visa extension file every year; so you do not need to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account or 400,000 if you are married to a Thai.
On the other hand if you want to leave Thailand you must always fill in an exit permit and pay 1,000 baht for it otherwise you lose this precious PR.

It is certain that for a retirement it is not profitable, provided that your file accepts:
170,000 divided by 1900 = 89 years of extensions!
and even for someone married to a thai 89 divided by two = 44.5 years;
on the other hand the fact of no longer having the conditions mentioned above can be considered as a great advantage.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

So does this mean that foreigners who are married with families and who aren't employed can apply to become a Permanent Resident?

Or is this just business as usual?

Once again, the way it's written is about as clear as mud.

foreigners who can apply for PR would be working in Thailand, investors, have families and possibly be married with children. 

2 minutes ago, NoComment said:

I'm wondering if the same system and rules will apply to the mighty,big spending, all conquering (in the eyes of the Thai government) Chinese masses that are free to treat Thailand in anyway they please?????

Well if its any consolation and makes you feel better, out of the 40 or so people in the waiting room with me for interview a month or so ago, there were no Chinese. Plenty of westerners, plenty of Indians and assorted other Asian nationalities, but could not spot a Chinese passport. (Taiwan aside)

I presume they will be subject to the same rules as everyone else, and given the time/effort and restrictions, i doubt many will be doing it.

34 minutes ago, Ceruhe said:

Something tells me 90 day reporting would still be a thing even if you do get PR ????

All the reporting requirements and other nasty stuff is in Chapter 4 of the Immigration Act which covers "Temporary Stay in the Kingdom". Permanent residence is dealt with in Chapter 5 and contains none of that.

It would take an act of parliament to change it and that hasn't happened for 41 years.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Here's an idea, just give PR to anyone that can prove they have been married to a Thai and taking care of them for 5 years - by then they would have obviously proved they can take care of them and not a drag on Thai society

If only, mate. But unfortunately too easy. You have to make the aliens jump through many hoops as they're not members of the master race... ????

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you,  but being partly deaf in both ears and mostly tone deaf after years of working on jet aircraft many decades ago it is hard to understand Thai. Thai is a tonal language and when I try to speak to Thais, what I think I said is not necessarily what they hear.

If one person speaks to me I can sometimes understand them, but if they are part of a group most of what I hear is noise, and if someone speaks behind me or facing away from me I have to get them to stand where I can see them speak.

My wife has a habit of talking away from me, and sometimes gets the hump when I ask her what she said.

I'm just the same, different reasons, same result...

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of the Interior presented proposals to the government that will see many foreigners eligible for permanent residency. 

But this will be limited to 100 per nationality. In addition 50 stateless persons will be granted PR. 

So where are the Many Foreigners they want ? They want a lot of money but only 100 per Nationality. That just shows what they Really are/want. 

5 minutes ago, Chicken Man said:

I've been here 14 years off & on. Had a non-imm for last 7 without a break. 3 kids n a wife. I would have no problem paying the fees. Just one thing, I'd have to go for some good Thai lessons, apparently I speak like a fisherman !

How good does a person's Thai have to be to get PR?

The hoops to jump through; Language - must read,write and speak fluently in high-Thai.

Culture - Must be able to perform a dance routine in Issan,Lanna  

and Pat Pong styles.

Sing 3 Thai song in Karaoke.

And the final hoop: Drink 5-shots of Lao Kao in rapid succession

without vomiting...most Farang go down here.

Nope, they don't make it easy to be one of them!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners who get PR are important for the stability and development of the country, they said, and many granted PR would help to ensure that family units are together and happy. 

absolutely, and imho should be granted WP so they can start contributing to the Thai economical development.

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

So does this mean that foreigners who are married with families and who aren't employed can apply to become a Permanent Resident?

Or is this just business as usual?

Once again, the way it's written is about as clear as mud.

It may be only for people employed, Such as teachers or those who are sponsored. But I am only suggesting that because of this paragraph:

.Foreigners who get PR are important for the stability and development of the country, they said, and many granted PR would help to ensure that family units are together and happy.