Permanent residence: Thailand welcomes foreign investors and people with families

webfact

I shifted to Bangkok in 1991. Applied for RP in 1998 through an agent. The deal was 500K for the whole of the family. Half upfront. I was granted the RP within 1 year of applying. My wife and my 2 under age kids got it the following year. All I had to do was sit opposite the immigration officer, present my hands for the finger printing. All the time my agent was present. No interview, no spoken Thai checked. At that time I knew it, that with time it will get more difficult and more expensive. Am happy I went ahead with it then. Yes, I had been paying regular taxes since 1991 and had a work permit. The official fee was included in the 500K.

Edited by Emmess
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

PR is not the be all and end all, but its better than the alternative visas. I am sure most people with PR also have other options like you have, no one gets PR and suddenly chucks everything from other countries in the bin. Its a nice to have in you can get it and alleviates any visa headaches forever. does not mean i can not, or would not move away from Thailand if i wanted.

I work here, am eligible for PR, so what is the point in not doing it?

To me it's a bit like the yellow book and the Thai ID, seldom used.

So you get a blue book, still cannot own land outright.

I know what your saying, but, the cost outweighs the benefits in my opinion.

90 day reporting done online or by post.

Annual renewal of extensions, if your organised and print off your paperwork, get your Kor Ror 2 update and letter from bank, it's not a hassle, if it's a retirement extension, easier.

If your eligible and want it, go for it, I just don't see the benefit's, albeit it you say it's less hassle re immigration, even though you still have to get a re-entry permit, I mean what is that, if you are a permanent resident, you shouldn't require a re-entry permit because it's supposed to be "permanent residency".

I think to much emphasis is placed on something that is of really no importance.

• Like 1

But I'm curious, what is the advantage of becoming a permanent resident? What is the gain here? I looked into it and it seems like quite a hassle. And am I reading this correctly, it costs 200,000 baht ( plus bribes ) just to apply? And I would need to carry 3 extra ID cards with me whenever I go outside as well as report to the police every year? Why would I switch to PR from an Elite Visa? With the Elite Visa, I don't have to do anything. I can do whatever I want. I never report anything or to anyone. Elite Visa is even better than Thai citizenship. For me to sign up for PR, there would need to be some significant gain.

1 hour ago, thaiowl said:

Having lived and worked in Thailand since 1990, I applied for PR in 2007 and eventually got it in 2012. My reasoning was this:

1. I had a wife and two children (and still have) and wanted some legal standing in the country should anything happen to my wife.

2. I was of the opinion that the authorities were making it more and more difficult for foreigners to stay here long term and this was only going to get worse...and it has. e.g. border runs every 30 days now obsolete, new financial requirements for retirement visa, requirement of TM30 etc. etc.

3. No 90-day reporting.

4. I could retire here with my PR (and I have retired) without the yearly hassle of a marriage visa/retirement visa.

There were a few hoops to jump through in the PR process, but it was pretty straightforward, despite taking five years to be approved. In hindsight, it was a very good idea to apply for PR.

"I was of the opinion that the authorities were making it more and more difficult for foreigners to stay here"

I know so many people that still live in Thailand on perpetual Tourist Visas. I'm not precisely sure how they do it but they have Thai companies that take care of everything for them. 80% of the foreigners under age 50 in Patong are here on tourist visas ( some over 20 years ) and they never show up at immigration, ever. They don't do 90 day check-ins or anything of that nature. They get heads up before immigrations raids ( which are mostly for show ). Anyways, you're not supposed to talk about this stuff but let's be real, if you want to live in Thailand, it's still extremely easy in 2020. Come on man, be honest.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The media said that foreigners who can apply for PR would be working in Thailand

Working in Thailand?

What can foreigners do in Thailand that local Thais cannot?

I've never got a specific answer to that question.

My guess is that some foreign owned companies have owners that are racist and have jobs for their friends and family that they claim Thais cannot do. ????

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, JoePai said:

100k if married to a Thai - if not 200k, but note paying is the easy part, it's the rest of the nonsense which is the problem

and it means nothing.  You still dont get to go through immigration an quicker!

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Cheaper than getting PR for the wife in U.K and the Life In U.K test is ridiculous, have a go at it ????

Many foreigners here adhere to the bar-stool myth that getting PR/Citizenship is nearly impossible or you have to be rich to get it.

PR in Thailand is not worth it, IMHO. I nearly got it when it was 9,000 baht, before Taksin raised it along with other visas by a ridiculous amount.

35 minutes ago, siamsev said:

and it means nothing.  You still dont get to go through immigration an quicker!

It's main use is a step to getting Citizenship. Do you still need a reentry permit and report to the police every 5 years?

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, Marcus Atwood said:

Why would I switch to PR from an Elite Visa? 

I got the elite and as far as I can see, the advantages of PR would be:

- It's lifetime, with reporting every 5y to the police

- You can work if you get a work permit

- Yellow thabian baan & Pink ID card (although I already have one, I got it while I was on non-imm O) (Or can you actually get into the blue one? Not sure.)

- 5y driving license ( I also have this but after it runs out it's again temporary only)

- no 90d, etc reports

- no yearly extension or need to exit/enter country

Might be some others I can't remember offhand.

Edited by DrTuner

12 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Unless they change the existing rules I can't see the queue even reaching the door, and that is with 2 metre social distancing.
Another empty gesture to try and make news.

What about all the expats who settled down here before all the immigration issues started?

Now the ones that are left are treated like criminals with this nonsensical 90 day reporting, and they want to talk about permanent residency??

• Like 2

12 hours ago, baansgr said:

I think many including myself would be happy to pay a considerable sum for residency or citizenship....without the need for three years working etc...

Is being married to the same girl for 14 years not enough? Well it should be.

It's laughable that people are still willing to jump through hoops set up by individuals who don't want you to stay here really but whose only motive is purely financial. Having seen the true opinion of and dislike of foreigners coming out of the mouth of the Health Minister and understanding that there's a lot more like him with the same prejudices why would you want to deal into a game with so much to lose ? and remember in Thailand very few people ever make anything in this country..... I'm reminded of what a Thai girl once told me,   "It starts with a drink and ends up with the last drop of your blood"......  ( Her definition of marrying a Thai ).....  I'm sticking to Tourist visas and keeping moving, Thailand's become stale under the present management and there's so many other interesting places other than Thailand....  I believe it will go back to when i first came to Thailand thirty years ago when they used to beg you to come in because they were skint...... They couldn't stamp your passport fast enough at all borders just to get you into the country, all forgotten now, but i think the combination of bad management and a dose of biological karma might just bring those days back......  God knows the normal Thai person trying to make a crust wants it..... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Docno said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not at all like that in Singapore. I've lived there for 20 years and have been a PR for 15. Even back in the 'good old days' (over a decade ago), it was not so easy as you say to get PR. Now it's near impossible, especially if you are a westerner (Chinese nationals have less trouble it seems). Don't believe me? I know several professors at one of the local universities (yes, productive, married people with PhDs) who have had their applications for PR rejected on multiple occasions. I know other westerners working here who can only get their wives here on social visit passes (in one case - he's French, she's Indonesian), the wife has to leave the country once a month. If you are coming to Singapore expecting to get PR status after six months, I strongly suggest you google this topic....  

Singapore awards citizenship and  permanent residency based on race in order to maintain a resident population of approximately 75% ethnic Chinese, 15% ethnic Malay, 7% ethnic Indian, and 3% other.  So yes, it is easier for Chinese to become permanent residents.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

To me it's a bit like the yellow book and the Thai ID, seldom used.

So you get a blue book, still cannot own land outright.

I know what your saying, but, the cost outweighs the benefits in my opinion.

90 day reporting done online or by post.

Annual renewal of extensions, if your organised and print off your paperwork, get your Kor Ror 2 update and letter from bank, it's not a hassle, if it's a retirement extension, easier.

If your eligible and want it, go for it, I just don't see the benefit's, albeit it you say it's less hassle re immigration, even though you still have to get a re-entry permit, I mean what is that, if you are a permanent resident, you shouldn't require a re-entry permit because it's supposed to be "permanent residency".

I think to much emphasis is placed on something that is of really no importance.

You have seen the countless 10k pasts and threads abour visa problems/90 day reporting etc? I agree with you thqt people male a mountain out of a molehill over it but reading this forum for some it seems a nevwr ending source of angst.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Cheaper than getting PR for the wife in U.K and the Life In U.K test is ridiculous, have a go at it ????

Sister in law did it all.. Took about 5 years from arrival.. With all the free school, free language classes, free assistance.. 

Now a citizen with benefits, pensions, land ownership rights, etc etc.. While at the same time working has purchased 3 houses in Thailand with money she made there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

You have seen the countless 10k pasts and threads abour visa problems/90 day reporting etc? I agree with you thqt people male a mountain out of a molehill over it but reading this forum for some it seems a nevwr ending source of angst.

I also agree, and believe that if one allows oneself to get upset for a such petty matters, then they are the type that are disorganised, lazy and will always spit the dummy for trivial matters, e.g. 90 day reporting, TM28/30, and the paperwork for an annual extension, as repetitive as they are, have to be looked at, as the "objective", i.e. you have to prepare for the task ahead to accomplish the objective at the end.

The objective as we know it, is to stay in Thailand, and the only way to stay in Thailand is to make the objective achievable, and to do that we have to focus on what is required, and comply to achieve the objective, i.e. get organised because you know it's going to be a repetitive task, as is an all day shopping event, unfortunately doing a "one day" task is too difficult for some, who pi$$, moan and groan and upset themselves in the process, without realising the only person getting upset, is themselves, and it appears to be a repeatable event for them, as opposed to focusing on the required task and getting it over and done with to obtain the objective.

It has to be looked at it as a task that has to be completed to achieve the objective, albeit it can be a pain for some, but if they focus and say do as I do, obtain what is required and make a day of it, nice drive there and back (3 hours), lunch, some shopping, and then home, a once a year event, OMG, too difficult for some dummy spitters ????

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Sister in law did it all.. Took about 5 years from arrival.. With all the free school, free language classes, free assistance.. 

Now a citizen with benefits, pensions, land ownership rights, etc etc.. While at the same time working has purchased 3 houses in Thailand with money she made there. 

That's exactly why the UK must follow reciprocal laws. 

Becoming citizens then sending money out is tantamount to theft. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Vigilante said:

I qualify big time on the '100 ppl per country' thing.

Sadly, I fail miserably on the other reqs

Which btw, I have no clue what they are ????

Wouldn't a cool million be enough to grant us PR and drop all the pretenses?

Check out Thai Elite, starts at 500k. And you get something for your money. Thai PR is just fake, you can not own land, you still need a work permit....

10 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I'm reminded of what a Thai girl once told me,   "It starts with a drink and ends up with the last drop of your blood"......  ( Her definition of marrying a Thai )..

How old was she? What was her job, if she was old enough? 

Edited by Neeranam

9 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Singapore awards citizenship and  permanent residency based on race in order to maintain a resident population of approximately 75% ethnic Chinese, 15% ethnic Malay, 7% ethnic Indian, and 3% other.  So yes, it is easier for Chinese to become permanent residents.

Yeah, we all suspect that but I don't think that the Singapore government has ever publicly admitted that race place a role in the citizenship process. It would not be acceptable to the Malay and Indian minorities for the government to be explicitly trying preserve the Chinese majority status (which they do because their birthrate is so low compared to the other two). When you are rejected for citizenship (or PR), there is never an explanation nor do any official websites list the criteria you must meet. I have an American friend who has been in Singapore for 30 years, is a PR, ran a consultancy, still has a good income, has a Vietnamese wife and two kids (including a boy who would be eligible for national military service). He has been rejected for citizenship three times and can't even get a dependents pass for his wife. Another friend, European, in his 40s, single, (sort of) Muslim, university prof, in Singapore for 10 years... obtained citizenship on his first attempt. I can guess the factors, but it's only guesswork

2 minutes ago, Docno said:

Yeah, we all suspect that but I don't think that the Singapore government has ever publicly admitted that race place a role in the citizenship process. It would not be acceptable to the Malay and Indian minorities for the government to be explicitly trying preserve the Chinese majority status (which they do because their birthrate is so low compared to the other two). When you are rejected for citizenship (or PR), there is never an explanation nor do any official websites list the criteria you must meet. I have an American friend who has been in Singapore for 30 years, is a PR, ran a consultancy, still has a good income, has a Vietnamese wife and two kids (including a boy who would be eligible for national military service). He has been rejected for citizenship three times and can't even get a dependents pass for his wife. Another friend, European, in his 40s, single, (sort of) Muslim, university prof, in Singapore for 10 years... obtained citizenship on his first attempt. I can guess the factors, but it's only guesswork

That's awful! 

Maybe if he'd married a local it would have been easy to get citizenship, like in Thailand.