Permanent residence: Thailand welcomes foreign investors and people with families

webfact

I admire you guys to be able to live here for so many years. I've been living in Bangkok for 3 years already but will be moving to Singapore for a half a year assignment. In SG you can get PR after 6 months for free, citizenship after several more years and am still wondering whether I would want to come back to Thailand after that time...

Disclaimer: I'm originally from Poland, working in IT and don't have a family in here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

Same as every year. 100 people per country of origin who pay a lot of money for basically nothing.

I qualify big time on the '100 ppl per country' thing.

Sadly, I fail miserably on the other reqs

Which btw, I have no clue what they are ????

Wouldn't a cool million be enough to grant us PR and drop all the pretenses?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

True, it is easier to get PR in Singapore.

But problem with Singapore is that you have to live in those crowded small government flats (with nasty neighbours) and Singaporeans are known for being demanding and strict. Not a good place for retirement.

Good enough for me, am young and already live in a small flat in one of those new "luxurious" condos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

You don't have to worry about being kicked out of the country when you are old.

That's never guaranteed in thailand...

And can the pr's buy their own house?

Edited by fruitman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that applying for PR can be a long, quite expensive, time consuming, document filled adventure and there are many hoops to jump through. 

Same as it is with most other countries around the world 

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

So the first condition is they must be employed at the time of application?

Mostly due to having a history of paying taxes, so, yes, either employed or investing in the employment of Thai people. 

• Like 1

What's that noise?......what that scratching scrapping sound?  Yeah!  
Oh it's coming from that barrel over there look!  Oh yeah look, there's a load of Thai Generals in there!! ????????????

No it's coming from over there, Somchai has reinvented the wheel !!! ????????????

Who in their right mind would relocate their family here now??? The Chinese!!

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Here's an idea, just give PR to anyone that can prove they have been married to a Thai and taking care of them for 5 years - by then they would have obviously proved they can take care of them and not a drag on Thai society

That would work for me. I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on 28th April.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

So does this mean that foreigners who are married with families and who aren't employed can apply to become a Permanent Resident?

Or is this just business as usual?

Once again, the way it's written is about as clear as mud.

Impossible - immigration would then be bursting at the seams with hoards of newly wed two-week millionaires & their Walking Street slappers in tow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

It takes them that long to approve someone? 

Yes, there is no set time, i believe that's the average it takes.

The document collection, notification, certification in home countries, translations is also mighty painful to go through.

Despite the nerves the interview was probably the easiest part.

Now just have to forget about it until further notice.

• Like 1

I did this in 2003/4 takes about 12 months. You need to get an exit visa every year if you want to leave Thailand. 5800 baht. No restrictions if you just want to stay. Except a 5 yearly alien entry in your alien book. Tbh after 15 yrs its been a y50/50 proposition for me. 200,000 not cheap these days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samran said:

shame you got caught out on the income tax thing. People like you should be front and centre for PR here.

But for that comment above...not sure if you've looked into PR or citizenship applications in the west recently. Neither automatic, cheap or easy....

Same for me and wonder how many more, over 12 years with work permits but just missed the three year as

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

You don't have to worry about being kicked out of the country when you are old.

I don't worry about being kicked out of Thailand, I see it as a trade off, I spend my money here, you let me stay, you kick me out, I no longer contribute to your economy, it works both ways.

Fortunately for me, I have money to back me up, and I learned a long time ago, never depend on others, especially governments, why, because they are game changers, e.g. they change rules, so if it ever come to it's time for you to leave Mr Farang, all and good, will be booking my tickets to the Greek Islands.

• Like 2