PM apologizes for miscommunication about 5,000 baht subsidies

snoop1130

A post with a link to Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Some posts have been edited for the following reason:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He added, however, that, if the pandemic situation eases within that period, allowing people to return to work, the handouts might not be necessary.

this is what is looking for....re-open the country, even if dangerous, to avoid the handouts

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

So at a guess we can expect zero new infections within a fortnight.

Well, take it that Thailand has only a small number of death's due to  the CD 46 17/04 it seems the safest place to be. At the moment I have cold sore on my lip and the virus is very contagious and is necessary to wear a mask at all times while you have it. 

1 hour ago, flinc2020 said:

'The real problem: nobody had saved for a rainy day.' Not strictly true, many politicians saved for a rainy day, in the Cayman Islands, Monaco and numerous other offshore tax haven accounts, oh and of course bullion hidden away from prying eyes. They just didn't save for a rainy day for their population or country!

100% right..... I have a family member who used to work for the TMB, a foreigner moving money out of the country........  Oooops, have i said too much ??? 

• Haha 1

So...they have enough money, to pay everybody THB 5000...for a month...for 3 month...for 5 months...just 1 month again....until it's over....but the minute it is over, the payment will stop....

Thank you, oh great saviour of Thailand!

I will now go and be relieved...orally...many times over!

????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

'The real problem: nobody had saved for a rainy day.' Not strictly true, many politicians saved for a rainy day, in the Cayman Islands, Monaco and numerous other offshore tax haven accounts, oh and of course bullion hidden away from prying eyes. They just didn't save for a rainy day for their population or country!

I stand corrected.

Hmmmm. Plenty there for subs, tanks, armoured personel carriers and jets, but just not enough for the folks handing over that tax money to buy all that very important strategic equipment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aussienam said:

At least the PM has admitted an error and apologised.  That is to be commended.  There are others that refuse to admit error.  OT, but If we look at China's CCP leader Xi Jinping however, he is responsible for one of the world's worst atrocities and won't admit anything, in fact creating propaganda and stories it was the fault of the US! 

Steven?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Puritan said:

There's money for attack helicopters but none for the people,

Don't worry  it was all just a big "misunderstanding"  now they say the money will be  handed out for 3 months a promised ????

With risk of suspension it's hard to express your true feelings here.

Sadly many people believed that they were getting the 5000 x 3 months.

Even spending money against what was to come.

Poor misguided fools...

My lady has been denied the 5000 based on being a farmer. 

She has never been a farmer, nor her sister.

But annual government information says the head of the house is a farmer. 

And subsequently all members of the house are farmers. 

Her father was a farmer. 

He died 40 years ago. 

Her sister is listed as head of the house and a casual worker.

So surely everyone else should be classified as labour workers?

According to the information she has sent me the amphur updates annually these records. 

I would say,  obviously not. 

To date not one person in the village has received any money, because of the farmer classification.

Nobody knows how to get it changed. 

Farang to the rescue again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

With risk of suspension it's hard to express your true feelings here.

Sadly many people believed that they were getting the 5000 x 3 months.

Even spending money against what was to come.

Poor misguided fools...

My lady has been denied the 5000 based on being a farmer. 

She has never been a farmer, nor her sister.

But annual government information says the head of the house is a farmer. 

And subsequently all members of the house are farmers. 

Her father was a farmer. 

He died 40 years ago. 

Her sister is listed as head of the house and a casual worker.

So surely everyone else should be classified as labour workers?

According to the information she has sent me the amphur updates annually these records. 

I would say,  obviously not. 

To date not one person in the village has received any money, because of the farmer classification.

Nobody knows how to get it changed. 

Farang to the rescue again. 

Buying new school uniforms (compulsory and several sets per kid) and text books, possible for several kids, for next semester is one example of spending the hand out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good question of course.

Part of the answer is that the army (military) feel they have an entitlement to lots of big and very expensive toys.

An example (in the police, but ultimately same point), some 20+ years back the RTP announced that a new mid range BMW sedan had been delivered to some 800+ senior cops, to be used as their personal work vehicles.

About 2 years later in an assets audit only about 10% of the cars could be found. No further action taken. 

"Entitlement" is so wonderfully descriptive :thumbsup:

Arbitrarily distributing money to some people and not others is a recipe for disaster! My wife's relatives in Isaan have received NOTHING, while friends of hers in other parts of the country are. Is there a criteria? If so, what is it? Again, arbitrarily passing out the money will lead to disension. Many in need in the north are NOT getting anything.

Edited by Doug F
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How did the people allow the political situation to happen, really?.  You have no ideas now do you.  Lets start with this:

2019 a rigged election, and the powers to be put themselves.

2014 Government. legally elected removed from office by a coup. 

So try that again, and tell me and all of us just how it is the peoples fault. 

Most make a daily wage, and there employers do not pay taxes, and or SS for the employee's.  Keep on blaming the people GAZZPA, and not the real culprits

Because the Thai people have allowed it to happen, simple as that, what is it you don't understand? The Thai government are servants to the people in a democracy. Thailand declares it is a democracy so it should behave like one. It seems you think Thai people are week and feeble and unable to think about what is right for them and their own country. So yes, if they have a government that is incapable of steering them through a crisis then it is their fault as much as anyones. 

On 4/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, smedly said:

These tiny 5k payments per month will need to continue well beyond 3 months

You are absolutely correct. The problem is the payments haven't even started for the majority of workers, yet alone continue, and then who's going to have money to spend ? My wife has had to close her small beauty/hairdressing salon which she still has to pay rent for unlike some who get a rent free mansion with servants , yet i notice our supreme little leader and his cohorts, still have cut and dyed hair, while the wife stresses over her and her kids far away who also have no money, not ONE BAHT has come her way, except from this dirty smelly foreigner who still has to check in every 90 days, who can't even leave his province. HE HAS NO CLUE ABOUT THE PEOPLE and there struggle, they were struggling before to make a living but now .................................????????????? 

• Like 2

I am quiet sure, there was always enough money, to pay more then 1.9 million people for 3 months or even 6 months!

I bet you. there was enough money to do that for far more people!

And then, everybody got their greedy hands in and someone told the PM, how little money would be left...and then he made the first 180 and told everybody, maybe there is enough for 1 month!

Then he got told hoe angry that made basically everybody and made the next 180 and said, there will be enough for more than 1 month!

For how many people?

No one knows, but be sure, there will be no payment after the outbreak is stopped!

Now...here is my prognosis: very soon (within the next 2 weeks probably) the number of new infections will go down every day, hit zero by May 1st and no further payments will be made!

It's a miracle, I'd say!