PM apologizes for miscommunication about 5,000 baht subsidies

snoop1130

13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

When I heard about the original statement, I thought he was implying they were going to let the economy reopen - so the 5K baht payment would no longer be necessary. 

The govt can't force people to "not work" - then deny them survival-funds at the same time.  Well, I guess they "can" - but not w/o repurcussions.

I think your understanding of it is exactly what will happen. Since they don't have the money to help their citizens for more than one month. The country will ease the lock down so business can continue and he won't have to pay more installments of that money with which the government does not have to give away. Kind of sad thing though because If this happens and the virus takes hold it means people will die and get indebted even more that they are already. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i believe his behavior is a hangover from being an arrogant  military general, where no one questions anything no matter how foolish from the boss's mouth

I think when things are ticking over this self appointed general will spout confidently about stuff with little fear of repercussion. Now the country and most of the world has been hit with the most difficult situation in our lifetimes. So instead of Thailand having a professional politician running the country (which is what the country deserves) they instead have a General trying to navigate this more then challenging time, God help the Thai people and everyone staying in the country.

• Like 2

From the daily reports of the very low numbers of infection and deaths compered to many other countries I am alarmed to hear that the economy is in dire straights . I still see non food businesses like hardware stores open in my area when I was under the impression they were meant to be all closed 

• Like 2

If he and his cabinet do not step up, and put forth a funding package that covers all Thai National's, and even those disenfranchised workers living here and working on legitimate work visas, who have been affected by this crisis and start taking care of his people, the suicides that have been occurring will only increase, and those folks that are left desperate, but look at the life others still have, will turn to crime as a way to get what they need. 

There is only so much volunteerism and donations can do, there is no way another country will help bail out Thailand, its time to start using its reserves to assist. 

My GF started to laugh yesterday when she saw that the Government is allowing gifts and charitable donations to be given to officials working to keep COVID-19 from taking over.  She said that to her and her friends on Facebook it smells of more "Yes you can give, because those you give to will have to kick a large percentage up the chain".  She says it is no different than the brown envelope, and they all fear that unless you can hand over some cash you will be stuck at the back of the Que, and never be seen if sick, and left to die as you are unwanted by this country.  She said no one cares for this government as they have made it extremely hard for normal everyday people to survive, and now with this crisis, unless they have paid into SS or have been paying into the system of taxes by having a job with a company that does not hide it's money by paying workers under the table, or off the books, many are being left high and dry.

• Like 1

Looks like new helicopters and military hardware come BEFORE Thai people. How does this <deleted> get away with it, cant the Thai people see this. Could some one produce Toilet paper with his face on every sheet, sure it would be a good seller.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stocky said:

Indeed.

You can reopen, but if there are no customers to pay to keep the lights on, the malls, hotels, restaurants, bars etc., will not be staying open for long.

To be fair, every government in the world is facing the same dilemma; when can we safely open, and what are we going to do with the huge numbers of unemployed.

( Let's not even talk about debt, both public and private)

Indeed. Even if you re open everything there will no money being made to pay staff. Thailand is a developing country, the government do not have the funds available to prop up salaries like they are doing across Europe. They need to arrange food banks and assistance so the people can eat and they need to do something like this as quickly as possible. They need professional politicians and people who can navigate the country through the crisis before people start getting very desperate. Once people get desperate it can quickly get out of control and the countries leader spouting apologies doesn't cut it, all people will care about is how to feed their families not his apologies. Stay safe everyone.  

• Like 2

Last week I think, someone said he saw a cartoon on a Thai news report. The Thai officials were at a table shaking their heads, holding out an empty wallet. But then under the table was a pile of cash. Haha. Seems to fit perfectly. But other than that description, I cannot find it. Anyone got it?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

From the daily reports of the very low numbers of infection and deaths compered to many other countries I am alarmed to hear that the economy is in dire straights . I still see non food businesses like hardware stores open in my area when I was under the impression they were meant to be all closed 

I've noticed in our area that more shops are kind of 'half opening' by leaving part of their frontage open.  Mom and Pop shops are also selling Booze to anyone who wants it and has a bag to hide it in....apart from Village's where nobody bothers to hide it anyway !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I do not see a rebellion in my village community as yet, but my wife who has 100's of friends on Facebook and in Line groups comes out with dismal stories of people without electricity and the unfair distribution of the 5000 baht support.

People are beginning to get angry.

The people allowed the political situation to happen, now they are reaping the rewards of having an ineffective government. Not at all surprised there is growing anger, desperation won't be far away and then,,,,,,,,,,, We all need to say a little prayer and hope for a miracle for everyone.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

When I heard about the original statement, I thought he was implying they were going to let the economy reopen - so the 5K baht payment would no longer be necessary. 

The govt can't force people to "not work" - then deny them survival-funds at the same time.  Well, I guess they "can" - but not w/o repurcussions.

I hope you are right about the last 

And its a good point 

Everyone should be responsible for their actions 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stocky said:

Indeed.

You can reopen, but if there are no customers to pay to keep the lights on, the malls, hotels, restaurants, bars etc., will not be staying open for long.

To be fair, every government in the world is facing the same dilemma; when can we safely open, and what are we going to do with the huge numbers of unemployed.

( Let's not even talk about debt, both public and private)

Yeah, let's not even talk about when we can open the roads again. 20000 dead on the roads every year. It's a pandemic. We won't be able to open the roads again for a long time. How can people get to work??

• Like 1