Cm Has The Season Been Up Or Down

Gonzo the Face

I did not read anything about:

1) currency devaluation (20% drop for the USD vs the baht)

2) more expensive airplane tickets (although this one was alluded in the article)

3) maybe a bit of a backlash (from the new government) against Thaksin and his CM's roots (and spoiling this part of the country to the detriment of others)

These and other issues have not helped CM.

All true, but IMHO none of these things would cause the large drop in numbers of Farang tourists that we saw this last year.

The biggest problem was the Flower Festival, and that was caused by an unthinking local Government. :o

Yes! I absolutely agree with you --as implied in bold-- that the Flower Festival had the greatest impact, but 1 to 3 have exacerbated matters as the tsunami, the floods, the smog, the crimes, the drunk vandal, the earthquakes,... Heck! Maybe even the annoying whistles heard everyday from my apartment complex at 6 am to 6 pm as parking employees and/or police direct traffic or-- my absolute pet peeves -- the smoke in some might clubs, the massage/bone crackers-attendees in these same night clubs' washrooms, or the insincere "You! Handsome!" calls! No country or culture is perfect, of course! Overall, though there are more positive than negatives in CM for me, although you would not think so, at first glance! :D

Edited by MyPenRye

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the chaing mai night bazaar last night. The word is there are more people than last month but no one is spending. The key word is many shoppers but no buyers.

you always have to take those comments with a grain of salt. At my g/fs work in the NB, it was ok. It certainly is better than June last year when the FIFA world cup was on. Im in the NB quite often and it does seem quiet but ok, seasonal I rekon.

What does your gf sell ??

My wife's family sells t-shirts which normally sell well if there are people. Last nights total sales for one shop was 1,000 baht and the other was 1,500 baht. The rent on each shop is 1,000 per night. My wife's sister says it is always slow in May but this year was the slowest ever. In the past June would be on the increase since the college kids (backpackers) were on vacation already. They said many more people than May but no buyers. Any way they say it is lower than ever before. They are stacking up the goodies on the spirit houses today. I will ask tomorrow if it helped.

DVDs.

where about are the shops? In Kalare? 1000baht per night in rent seems expensive to me except if its in Kalare or in a shop proper.

hopefully things pick up soon for your extended family.

DVDs will always sell to locals as long as the price is right. I buy them at the night bazaar for 80 baht because most of the other places charge 100-120 baht.

They have proper shops on the main street. It is still expensive as far as I am concerned. My wife asked me to rent a cart for 10,000 per month plus 1,500 per month for electric. Now that is expensive. I would rather pay 30,000 per month for an actual room. One of their shops has sleeping rooms upstairs that they get also but the other 4 have nothing but the room itself. All of the upstairs are blocked off.

no, Id rather have 3 stalls than 1 shop for the 30,000 baht. It will get you better coverage if you have them located in the good areas, but Id say the good locations would be hard to get. You wouldnt pay 1,500B p/m for electric either. The trade off will be space and extra staff needed.

ps traders dont need a room to catch a snooze, they just buy a lounger and place it on the side of the rd :o

My sister in law uses the rooms upstairs for the staff to sleep in. Since the 2 sisters have a total of 5 shops and I don't know how many booths they can't run them all themselves.

The booths have no place for people to try on the shirts. No place to look in a full length mirror. You have a total of 2 foot shelf space. Not much showing room. Their shops are right on the street with booths on the other side of the sidewalk. If I saw something at a booth on my right and there was a shop on my left selling the same thing with larger selection I would go in the shop. Then I would not be getting bumped into by passersby while I was trying to decide which shirt i wanted. Also being able to try the shirt on without sticking my stinky arm pits in the face of anyone walking by would be a plus.

I guess a better name would be cart instead of booth.

Edited by wolfmanjack

My sister in law uses the rooms upstairs for the staff to sleep in. Since the 2 sisters have a total of 5 shops and I don't know how many booths they can't run them all themselves.

The booths have no place for people to try on the shirts. No place to look in a full length mirror. You have a total of 2 foot shelf space. Not much showing room. Their shops are right on the street with booths on the other side of the sidewalk. If I saw something at a booth on my right and there was a shop on my left selling the same thing with larger selection I would go in the shop. Then I would not be getting bumped into by passersby while I was trying to decide which shirt i wanted. Also being able to try the shirt on without sticking my stinky arm pits in the face of anyone walking by would be a plus.

I guess a better name would be cart instead of booth.

thinking about it further, youre probably correct for the sale of t-shirts. Most other products dont require a shop. eg watches, silk, lamps, silver, cds dvds, sunglasses, etc etc

I call them stalls. :o

• 5 weeks later...

now with the European holiday in full swing, have you business owners noticed any upswing? (tourist related)

the nightmarket seems busier so all is better for now until the holiday ends, hopefully the baht doesnt go up further. Im sure its having an impact on the tourism numbers and spending habits,but unsure on its degree. Perhaps we will know when the high season comes around again. Maybe less visitors from USA and more from Asia?

now with the European holiday in full swing, have you business owners noticed any upswing? (tourist related)

the nightmarket seems busier so all is better for now until the holiday ends, hopefully the baht doesnt go up further. Im sure its having an impact on the tourism numbers and spending habits,but unsure on its degree. Perhaps we will know when the high season comes around again. Maybe less visitors from USA and more from Asia?

From my standpoint April and May were down , month for month over the previous year. I did feel , even into the 3rd week of June that June was following suit. Strangely enough, when all the numbers were in, June showed about a 15% increase over last year. This was in revenue. Numerical guest/customer count was also up but not that much.

July seems to be doing pretty good or maybe I should say, above last year. Not ordering the new Mercedes yet though.

Gonzo

Yes, they're back. A major difference from last year is that this year there seems to be more people moving around in cloves, be it as a family or as a bunch of friends. A shop like mine gets overcrowded if two such cloves enters around the same time - and it isn't fun to be too busy, neither.

July has picked up without a doubt, hopefully the trend will continue.

very hard to say, as the rainy season is nearly upon us and the tourists will slow down to a trickle. CM needs a shot in the arm during this time. The flower show would have been better on now, even thou its probably not the best weather wise and all the rest of it. But for the local economy it would have played out better.

Yes, they're back. A major difference from last year is that this year there seems to be more people moving around in cloves, be it as a family or as a bunch of friends. A shop like mine gets overcrowded if two such cloves enters around the same time - and it isn't fun to be too busy, neither.

Cyberstar, what line of business are you in, if you dont mind me asking?

I was at BKK railway station a couple of days ago and definitely moving in large groups or families.

Not many couples or singles.

Seemed to be a lot of French, Scandinavian and Aussies.

There were at least 3 groups of about 20 people each group.

Groups of 20 are not large enough. Best to have 30 or more just to even the odds.

depends on the type of group. Family groups would be harder of course esp if you hit on a hottie with dad around, but ones with groups consisting of singles between 18-30 are more than likely to score. :o

Don't mind at all - thanks for asking... I think a term like "computer related services" would be broad enough to cover it all. Those who bother can get details on 'cyberstarasia.com'.

However, the "department" that is most in touch with the street, and depends the most on tourists and such, is a small, downtown internet cafe - 'cafe.cyberstarasia.com'.

Actually, until April this year that cafe constituted the complete business undertaking ... One good thing about the increasingly blacker and blacker hole from February to mid-June, was that it gave a kick in the butt as to figure out how not to be solely dependent on walk-in business. If patrons don't come to your door - your door must come to the patrons, was what i thought in April. Consequently the company website, has expended from one page, with a copy of a business card, to almost a whole bunch of sites, which already have helped boost business a tiny bit (although only on the penny/cent/satang-level, so far).

Don't mind at all - thanks for asking... I think a term like "computer related services" would be broad enough to cover it all. Those who bother can get details on 'cyberstarasia.com'.

However, the "department" that is most in touch with the street, and depends the most on tourists and such, is a small, downtown internet cafe - 'cafe.cyberstarasia.com'.

Actually, until April this year that cafe constituted the complete business undertaking ... One good thing about the increasingly blacker and blacker hole from February to mid-June, was that it gave a kick in the butt as to figure out how not to be solely dependent on walk-in business. If patrons don't come to your door - your door must come to the patrons, was what i thought in April. Consequently the company website, has expended from one page, with a copy of a business card, to almost a whole bunch of sites, which already have helped boost business a tiny bit (although only on the penny/cent/satang-level, so far).

Jeebus, never thought about the coincidence, but I drive by your shop almost every day, I think. Same road as La Villa and the Rose Guesthouse, right?

If I need you to look at a dodgy notebook HDD, do I just stop in at the cafe?

Jeebus, never thought about the coincidence, but I drive by your shop almost every day, I think. Same road as La Villa and the Rose Guesthouse, right?

Right, that's Ratchapakinai. Go 100 meter North from Rose or 60 meter North from La Villa. As for your HDD: I'm exclusively a software guy, but yes - you can just drop by. I never charge just for looking, but I hate people looking over my shoulders. I can promise a diagnosis within 24 hours (usually much less), after which we either make a deal or you get your laptop back without a trace of having been touched.

Right, that's Ratchapakinai. Go 100 meter North from Rose or 60 meter North from La Villa. As for your HDD: I'm exclusively a software guy, but yes - you can just drop by. I never charge just for looking, but I hate people looking over my shoulders. I can promise a diagnosis within 24 hours (usually much less), after which we either make a deal or you get your laptop back without a trace of having been touched.

Yup, I know where you are, see the sign when I drive by. I'll bring my petulant laptop by.

Yup, I know where you are, see the sign when I drive by. I'll bring my petulant laptop by.

looks like cyberstars season will be up abit more soon :o

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, maybe it's normal for this month, but I see a LOT of farang about these days. Lots of families, lots of groups (apparently). Not a retail/tourist guy, I do export, so I don't know how it compares year2year. Lots of largish, young blonde girls about as well. Interesting to look at by way of contrast, for a bit anyway. Nothing more, me being afraid of my 5'3" Thai wife and all!

Gotta say, maybe it's normal for this month, but I see a LOT of farang about these days. Lots of families, lots of groups (apparently). Not a retail/tourist guy, I do export, so I don't know how it compares year2year. Lots of largish, young blonde girls about as well. Interesting to look at by way of contrast, for a bit anyway. Nothing more, me being afraid of my 5'3" Thai wife and all!

European holiday season bump?

They look mostly Euro to me, heard quite a bit of Scando-accented English, and plenty of Brits too. Just glad for the people who run local biz (Thai and Farang) that things have picked up, two months ago the place was dead quiet, "crickets chirping" like.

Edited by calibanjr.

Bump is the correct word.

In about 2 weels there suddenly won't be any tourists around for about one month - happens every year at this time. It slowly starts to pick up again starting at the end of September.

Lets hope they are no new Flower Festival-style disasters in store for us this year courtesy of local Government. :o

For what its worth, a leading rafting business offering a good product at a reasonable price ex Pai told me on Sunday 30 July that bookings this year were less than 50 percent of bookings in the same season last year.

Reports from Phuket and Samui indicate things are quiet too, but by how much?

sure looks down to me.

If inbounds are down this year 1) is this a long-term trend, with tourists going to cheaper, more exciting neighbors, ie are we seeing some kind of sea change in Thai tourism, or is it a short-term reaction due to adverse publicity of political instabilities etc? 2) Is it localized, ie is Chiang Mai suffering more than other regions? 3) is Thai Government policy regarding visas, as well as as negative attitudes generated by double pricing by organizations such as the RFD (national parks) having any affect on numbers, or on the amount of money brought in by foreign visitors? 4) Do the figures have anything to do with TAT's announced policy (since the 2006 coup) of going for more 'quality' tourists rather than the mass tourist policy of the previous Shinawatra Admin? 5) Could inbound numbers have any relation to adverse sentiment regarding long-distance jet-air travel as part of increasing awareness of the global warming? 6) Do the falling numbers have anything to do with a global economic downtown in terms of disposable income for luxury travel (holidays)

Big questions for Thailand's tourism

[quote name='Ulysses G.' date='2007-08-01 18:21:38' post='1450291'

Lets hope they are no new Flower Festival-style disasters in store for us this year courtesy of local Government. :D

Flower Power :o

Do you mean the Flower festival or the Royal Flora Ratchapruek 2006 ? If it is the 2nd, I have bad news for you : Royal Flora 2007 opens today. :D ... And good news : it's a low-key opening. They don't expect more than 2 000 visitors a day (in The Nation). :D

Do you mean the Flower festival or the Royal Flora Ratchapruek 2006 ? If it is the 2nd, I have bad news for you : Royal Flora 2007 opens today. :D ... And good news : it's a low-key opening. They don't expect more than 2 000 visitors a day (in The Nation). :D

Lets just hope that there are hotel rooms for some Foreign visitors this year. :o

Lets just hope that there are hotel rooms for some Foreign visitors this year. :o

According to The Nation, the public would not be allowed in the international and corporate garden sections. Well, that leaves the kitchen garden.

The article also says that it wil last only 2 months. So that takes us to the beginning of October... Just 2 months before the King's birthday.... I bet they won't close it in October as planned.

I fully support putting on this kind of event right before or after high season when local tourists would help the economy, rather than hurt it. Doing it at the height of tourist season when it is already difficult for big-spending foreigners to get rooms, is just self-defeating. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I fully support putting on this kind of event right before or after high season when local tourists would help the economy, rather than hurt it. Doing it at the height of tourist season when it is already difficult for big-spending foreigners to get rooms, is just self-defeating. :o

totally agree. Now that the euro holiday is coming to an end, the next 2 months should be a struggle for most small businesses.

In response to Frankdogs post here is what I think is happening. The combination of several factors are going against Thailand this year/season as far as tourism is concerned. High baht vs dollar. Ongoing insurgency in the south. Military installed government. New destinations eg Vietnam.

For what its worth, a leading rafting business offering a good product at a reasonable price ex Pai told me on Sunday 30 July that bookings this year were less than 50 percent of bookings in the same season last year.

Reports from Phuket and Samui indicate things are quiet too, but by how much?

sure looks down to me.

If inbounds are down this year 1) is this a long-term trend, with tourists going to cheaper, more exciting neighbors, ie are we seeing some kind of sea change in Thai tourism, or is it a short-term reaction due to adverse publicity of political instabilities etc? 2) Is it localized, ie is Chiang Mai suffering more than other regions? 3) is Thai Government policy regarding visas, as well as as negative attitudes generated by double pricing by organizations such as the RFD (national parks) having any affect on numbers, or on the amount of money brought in by foreign visitors? 4) Do the figures have anything to do with TAT's announced policy (since the 2006 coup) of going for more 'quality' tourists rather than the mass tourist policy of the previous Shinawatra Admin? 5) Could inbound numbers have any relation to adverse sentiment regarding long-distance jet-air travel as part of increasing awareness of the global warming? 6) Do the falling numbers have anything to do with a global economic downtown in terms of disposable income for luxury travel (holidays)

Big questions for Thailand's tourism

:D:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o

God Almighty

You must be a newbie ??????

Andf exactly WHICH government do you think it was that wanted to abandon the single, fat walleted, ready-to-spend, solo traveller, in favour of the wife-and-kids-dragging, slim walleted, 2.4 household with single income, believing they would be a financial asset to Thailand?

Try a google for "Thai VIP 2 million Baht card" or similar ;)

Gaz

God Almighty

Andf exactly WHICH government do you think it was that wanted to abandon the single, fat walleted, ready-to-spend, solo traveller, in favour of the wife-and-kids-dragging, slim walleted, 2.4 household with single income, believing they would be a financial asset to Thailand?

Try a google for "Thai VIP 2 million Baht card" or similar :o

Gaz

As you say, no Thai government wants to abandon fat tourist wallets, but why should a ready-to-spend etc single tourist not be a quality tourist, and who said quality tourism meant poor family tourism as opposed to fat-wallet tourism?

Methinks it could only have been you after a quality night in a Loi Kroa bar.

Check out 'TAT firmly focused on quality tourism' Nation 22/01/07

Frankdog

God Almighty

Try a google for "Thai VIP 2 million Baht card" or similar :D

Gaz

As you say, no Thai government wants to abandon fat tourist wallets, but why should a ready-to-spend etc single tourist not be a quality tourist, and who said quality tourism meant poor family tourism as opposed to fat-wallet tourism?

Methinks it could only have been you after a quality night in a Loi Kroa bar.

Check out 'TAT firmly focused on quality tourism' Nation 22/01/07

Frankdog

is that possible?

im sure the TAT has its ideas on what "quality" is.

Most likely is a tourist who spends plenty of money in Thailand without breaking its laws.

Chiang Mai will one day have to brace it self for the huge influx of chinese holiday makers coming down from the mainland. Im sure when middle income earners in China start travelling, the economy of Thailand and the whole of asia will benefit. IMO. :o