Old shrine surfaces as Bang Wad reservoir hits bottom

rooster59

Old shrine surfaces as Bang Wad reservoir hits bottom

By The Phuket News

1587187245_1-org.jpg

The water level at Bang Wad reservoir has falled so low that the original Toh Tha Mee Shrine has become visbile again. Photo; via PR Dept

PHUKET: Heavy isolated showers this week have helped restore some water back into Phuket’s main reservoirs, but more is needed, Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) Chief Graisorn Mahamad has told The Phuket News.

As of Mar 24, Bang Wad reservoir, the island’s main water source, contained just 850,000 cubic metres of water – or 8.3% of its full capacity. At that time, the water in the reservoir was expected to last just 17 days. (See story here.)

Now the reservoir contains just 80,000m3 of water, Mr Graisorn has confirmed.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/old-shrine-surfaces-as-bang-wad-reservoir-hits-bottom-75749.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-19

I heard that the cost of building a pipeline off island was too high. Not because building the pipeline itself costs too much but because the people that own the land want prime real estate prices for scrubland to allow the pipeline to cross their land.

9 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

I heard that the cost of building a pipeline off island was too high. Not because building the pipeline itself costs too much but because the people that own the land want prime real estate prices for scrubland to allow the pipeline to cross their land.

Too bad no such thing as eminent domain can happen.

BTW, there was a desal plant built, seems it was another cash grab as are most projects, statues and signs here.

Edited by steelepulse

This is something that always makes me start thinking. They know that there is a shrine standing below water. Why in the world do they not put it on the side on the pond?

Yeah, I know. The water is blessed and the pond is divine with a shrine in it, but it could be that by just standing beside too, and people could make merit at the same time.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

All that is required is a local government with the power and desire to fix things rather than just talk about it, and a national government that will spend money on infrastructure on the Island instead of just collecting large amounts of revenue from there. 

Now that one of the main obstacles has been removed there might be a glimmer of hope.. a very small glimmer.

7 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Hmmm maybe they (GOV) can do what State Gov did in Massachusetts ( USA) back in the day. They took the land they wanted in neighborhoods by "eminent domain"  Gov makes what they consider a fair offer, if you don't acept the case goes to court and a judge will set the price. Either way the Gov takes the land.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Its called a government order 

On 4/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, Farmerkev said:

Heres a thought maybe too obvious though. Phuket is next to the sea why not get a reverse osmosis plant and make potable water when we put all 4 on at my work (onboard a ship) we produce 280m3 per hour. Large plants are available that can do 350,000m3 plus per day, sure they are exspensive (maybe full watch collection could cover cost) and needs competent engineer (work permit required)to maintain but it would help solve water issue

Dont need it. Just need to buy more airccaft for the rain making squad and the problem is solved.

• Like 1