Wissanu denies government 'begging' for money by reaching out to tycoons

rooster59

The intention of this is unlikely to be get money from billionaires.  It is more likely to be to provide a forum for the billionaires to advise to dish out stimulus money to the business sector.  The implications of this should be obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Except Medical Staff.

Agreed.

But maybe they could defer their payments until they actually have the money available and have sorted out the 5,000 baht payments to the unemployed?

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Imagine if the situation proves that funds are not there anymore? Memories of '97 itch my rear.

What funds do you refer to, only a month ago there was i believe

1700 billion in cash reserves or am i suffering shut in syndrome ? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Almer said:

They have (allegedly) over 200 billion USD in foreign currency reserves

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG

but not enough to pay Thais the 5,000 baht per month for 3 months ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johng said:

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG

Or in my Mrs 100% justifiable claim for even 1 month,  or is a closed shop keeper with rent still to pay not a justifiable  claim ?

Imagine if the situation proves that funds are not there anymore? Memories of '97 itch my rear.

This is what I am hearing from my wife and her friends.

The word on the street is that the government is about out of cash.

There is growing discontent at some of the measures being taken, like massive increases in the price of your electricity.  Some consumers are seeing a 4-fold increase, well above what could be expected by extra usage due to being locked down somewhat.

Be very careful to check your electricity bills this month and compare the rates to previous bills!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hayduke said:

This whole "Give us money, we are poor and the buffalo is sick" could certainly be a lot more believable. Maybe if if the general announced he would contribute….say….one month’s worth of his own salaries, commissions, fees, incentives, service charges, management bonuses, stock options, expense accounts. miscellaneous brown envelopes,  etc, etc (maybe a few billion Baht or so) to a general relief fund. Just one month's worth of the swag, general.....just one.

One supposes that the operative word here is General and the words relief fund identifies the recipients, Rather well masked don’t you think?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Almer said:

How about all expats buy government bonds with a guaranteed return and these bonds can be used to extend Retirement/ marriage visa ?

Why not just give all honest ( no criminal record) ex pats the opportunity to buy Thai citizenship thereby removing all visa requirements, gaining a passport and having the same rights as Thais, with just one proviso Doing anything that gains you a criminal record in Thailand will result in removal of all rights and deportation.

It has got to be worth 1.5 to 2 million each for peace of mind for expats and a large pot of money for the government that does not have to be paid back 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

1 hour ago, johng said:

Whilst that money may exist, and may be being held by the country, remember that this government is a puppet of certain interests, and therefore probably does not have unfettered access or control over that money.

1 hour ago, hugh2121 said:

How about cancelling some of the military toys on order?

They are of very little use anyway in the military sense, the submarines' shortcomings have been widely discussed, and the ground/air equipments are in small amounts, and without extensive training and developing and adopting doctrines to suit their capabilities will have little effect upon the combat power of the forces. The purpose of the purchases were a) the chance to pose and boast and b) financial opportunities attached to the procurement processed. Both have passed.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Slow down there big guy, he's already said....

So calm down, while they think up a plausible reason to BS the people with....

So calm down, while they think up a plausible reason to BS the people with....

Exactly! and, what ever happened to those Billions of U.S.$'s they been talking about in reserve?

Edited by Dap