Genuine friendships in Thailand.

WineOh

54 minutes ago, rumak said:

I demand 100 percent sincerity and integrity..... and an IQ  over 75.

all three in one person hard to find .   usually takes me about half hour to see which

traits are missing

more seriously:   casual friendships with some thais,  and some farangs, I have.

There is a reason that even thai people do not want to get "too friendly" with

neighbors, etc.    Maybe the same reason that farangs have with other farangs.

The initial friendliness somehow changes as we get to know each other better.

"familiarity breeds contempt"   .    BTW:  this saying originated in the 1300's !!

Isn't that saying usually used when applied to Superior Subordinate relationships like Officer and His men? Or in other authoritarian relationships like the corporate ladder?

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

Not something I ever hear applied to friendships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

First, ask yourself, "why are these guys going to Thailand?"

1.  women

2.  escape

3.  forget

4.  money problems

5.  start over

6.  not think

7.  die

if you want a true friend, you should have the same passions.  Well, that's usually 10000000x easier between the ages of 0-30.  Then people get married, kids, and less passions.  So you can join clubs and all that...might help.  

the problem is...if he does have the same passion as you, he might still have a bigger problem on the list (see above).  then that creates worse drama than being alone.

when in rome......yea, find a girl, 2, 3, try to relax.....if this isn't your thing, think about another country.  

I got about 5 of those. I notice finding new men to hang out with isn't on the list.

Based on the US but would be surprised if it wasn't similar worldwide (or at least westernised countries, some cultures with more emphasise on tribalism than individualism could possibly have fairly different results).

How Many Friends Does the Average Person Have?

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

These people are acquaintances, not friends. I consider true friends to be the people who help you in a crisis, and I help them in return. People who you can confide in without it coming back to bite you.

I consider true friends same, and no, do not have any here.  Am I lucky that I have an adult son here and some of his family here that would likely "help in a crisis"   

Am not sure what crisis could occur?  Being put in jail maybe?  Getting an ambulance to a hospital? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I would argue that merely giving things away to strangers is not a nice gesture, more a fool hardy endeavor that labels you an easy target.

The more you give to Thais for free - the less respect you get from them eventually. And yes, my personal experience with the Thai people is limited by the Pattaya girls and their Isaan relatives. Some of us, foreigners in this country, have an illusion that we can get a good attitude of the locals by showing them our compassion and generosity. Big mistake. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Have had more than 5 "intimate bonds" . They mostly tend to go back home and forget me until I contact them on Line again - hahaha

Edited by Skallywag
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The more you give to Thais for free - the less respect you get from them eventually. And yes, my personal experience with the Thai people is limited by the Pattaya girls and their Isaan relatives. Some of us, foreigners in this country, have an illusion that we can get a good attitude of the locals by showing them our compassion and generosity. Big mistake. 

everything you said there is bang on mate!

thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Based on the US but would be surprised if it wasn't similar worldwide (or at least westernised countries, some cultures with more emphasise on tribalism than individualism could possibly have fairly different results).

I guess if that study was conducted in Thailand, the results would be skewed. Thais are the most sociable people on the planet, among themselves. My GF has so many friends I have no idea how she keeps track of them all.

As something of an introvert and loner, it's ironic I should be in their midst, and be comfortable with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vigilante said:

The only ppl that tried to 'befriend' me, turned out to be gay

same here!!

Had one guy always sniffing around me, inviting to hang out with him and his other farang buddies.

Took me years to figure out that the only reason he was the one thai guy hanging out with 30/40 other english dudes was because he wanted to increase his chances of getting laid ????

Always an ulterior motive i find when trying to mix with locals, never genuine friendship. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unless they're related to her by blood, she won't really care about them.

Thais only really care for relatives, but they have many superficial relationships with people they borrow/lend money from/to.

She does have a very large family tree. I've taught her to neither a borrower nor a lender be. Give if you like, but don't give me that borrow BS.

We've toured around Thailand a lot, and it's incredible how we will be in any town or city, and there will be someone there she knows by blood or by Facebook.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:
8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unless they're related to her by blood, she won't really care about them.

Thais only really care for relatives, but they have many superficial relationships with people they borrow/lend money from/to.

She does have a very large family tree. I've taught her to neither a borrower nor a lender be. Give if you like, but don't give me that borrow BS.

We've toured around Thailand a lot, and it's incredible how we will be in any town or city, and there will be someone there she knows by blood or by Facebook.

My wife puts up with family but her true friends are not to be found within the confines of family.

• Like 2

Gotta find people with similar interests. Join a sports club -golf and tennis for me, but have met more Thai friends.

Find others with similar experiences -  for me AA has given my hundreds of friends I could trust with my life, Thai and foreign. 

Also, met a few lifelong friends at work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"Friendship with Thais I would say is impossible. "

I am not surprised you think that. You are always posting bad things about Thais, so can't blame them for not being interested.

Yeah...they all read his posts here ????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:
23 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I would never want to be a burden to them by asking for anything. 

I find true friends can ask for anything and not feel like a burden. 

A problem shared is a problem halved.

I understand many people look at it that way but I don't.????

• Like 1