Outbound flight cancelled

alyx

Hey 

i have just received a notification from Thai airways that our flights departing from Bangkok on the 30th June have been cancelled.

i will go to Thai airways today if it is open , which I doubt, to see what can be done ( refund / reschedule )

Has anyone received the same kind of messages, if so, which dates ? 

Yes it seems so 

I called the Thai Airways office who confirmed that flights "might" resume from the 2nd of July at least for my destination (Paris) but nothing certain.

I asked for a voucher rather than changing dates and that option does not apply to our tickets> 
I can (by phone or on site ) amend the date of our tickets which will be valid until the 15th of December (against the 28 of September)

Such a bother, as we do not even know if the Schengen borders will be open for non nationals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

I wonder about other airlines

Emirates Airways have cancelled nearly all flights until further notice.

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/travel-updates/

Emirates' customers are in the fortunate situation that this airline is giving them the almost unrestricted choice of a) change date within 12 months, or b) refund for the unused part of the ticket, or c) receiving a travel voucher.

On the other hand, a stop-over flight via Dubai makes everything a bit more complicated as passengers have to comply with both the transfer regulations as well as the outbound regulations set up by the UAE authorities.

for Ozzie's jet star have scheduled repatriation flights starting tomorrow

By Kate Kachor11:58

Jetstar Asia will operate five services a week to Southeast Asia to help repatriate Australian citizens stranded by during the coronavirus pandemic.

From tomorrow, the temporary services will travel to Manila, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur.

The flights will be available only to Australian citizens and permanent residents returning home, an airline spokesperson said in a statement.

The flights will also assist with freight in the reg

Just as a follow up: one of my acquaintances whose outbound tickets to Paris have been cancelled in the same way as mine went to Thai airways yesterday.

He, and his family, were put on the Swiss air same day flight in June, with, obviously, a couple of hours of transit in Switzerland. 
Not all airlines are grounded  

• Like 1

If you are registered with the UK Embassy. They are giving daily email updates of available flights from some regional airports and other flights from BKK to UK, but expennsive. 

it is cheaper for me to stay while I can. To fly home now would be like flying straight into Death Row. Empty Supermarkets and a food delivery service of up to 2 weeks wait there. So I am Definitely Staying. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, alyx said:

Well, this is good for Australians but I was under the impression that their Government had asked them to remain where they were, or am I wrong ?

I am australian and been living here nearly 7 years. I registered with the Oz embassy in Bangkok. No such request received to stay here, in fact the emails I have received are the opposite suggesting I head back.

1 hour ago, William C F Pierce said:

If you are registered with the UK Embassy. They are giving daily email updates of available flights from some regional airports and other flights from BKK to UK, but expennsive. 

it is cheaper for me to stay while I can. To fly home now would be like flying straight into Death Row. Empty Supermarkets and a food delivery service of up to 2 weeks wait there. So I am Definitely Staying. 

Slightly :offtopic:Just responding to @William C F Pierce

I returned to the UK on Mar 25th so have been back nearly a month.

I've noticed a distinct improvement in the supermarkets in my area (Surrey) since my return

On Monday I walked into my local Sainsburys without having to queue - had to previously. Got almost all I wanted, so definitely not empty + no queue at the checkout.

Shorter queues at other shops too, compared with 3 weeks ago. Prices not being increased beyond normal.

So if you do make it back, that's the situation...sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed relevant. 

You need to be aware  of EU  rules even if  the flight originates in Thailand as regards REFUNDS.

Rule 261 you are entitled to a refund, many airlines trying to get out of this but the law is there if the flight lands in the EU they have to abide by that. Of course they will try everything to wriggle  out of  it, more info here https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/news/2020-03-18-covid-19-guidance-eu-passenger-rights_en

You do  not have to accept vouchers but they will try to push you into this, this only applies if THEY cancel the flight, if  you cancel it its  different.

This does  not  apply to compensation as this  is classed as exceptional circumstances and is  not due.

• Like 1

Another anecdote. A mate of mine was on Qatar. He flew here and then they told him then had cancelled his flight. But if he wanted to fly back with them he shelled could out another 25000 or so baht and he could have a seat. 

He went with EVA Air direct for 22000 baht.

B.A. cancelled our flights for the 12th of May, mines was a return Newcastle to BKK via Heathrow, my partner and sons is the return leg. B.A.advised me in an the email to go to their website to either change dates or claim a refund. To predict a travel date is impossible so I opted for a refund, I was redirected to a Voucher Application Page. If I wanted a refund I would need to call them, impossible after going through the various press this that and the other you receive a message to say they are busy then the call ends, I have trying for 2 weeks now.

Under E.U. Law B.A.because are based in the U.K I am entitled to a refund to be paid within 14 days. I called my bank to try to see if I could raise a dispute via my C.C. To do that I have to prove the flights have been cancelled and they have refused to refund any monies. 

The Banking Rep. said Air Fares could double in the near future so if in the end I opt for a voucher what would be the value of it. I have ‘tweeted’ B.A. regards this but I am still waiting for a reply.

if Air Fares double Tourism globally will take a huge hit although I can’t see airlines flying empty aircraft ?

The Aerospace business is some tight spots unlucky because virus

or already were on the rails.... then if you do finds flight most likely 

expenseive followed by 14 day quarantine... and some countries your quarantined a facility they’ve set up....

and for some Misery I mean Trump is suggested close all US borders with very few allowed in...

reckon he ate a bad cheeseburger...

On 4/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, alyx said:

Just as a follow up: one of my acquaintances whose outbound tickets to Paris have been cancelled in the same way as mine went to Thai airways yesterday.

He, and his family, were put on the Swiss air same day flight in on her June, with, obviously, a couple of hours of transit in Switzerland. 
Not all airlines are grounded  

Interesting. Are his family Thai or  EU citizens? My wife and I were going to fly to Paris via Amman on 2 May. Cancelled some time ago now.

I contacted the French Embassy Bangkok yesterday and was told that my wife, a Thai national and resident, could fly with me as I am French resident to Paris on her Schengen short stay EU famille visa but the flight( if I could find one) must be direct. I am only aware of 2 airlines that offer direct to Paris flights: Thai, who have cancelled all international flights until July and ( seasonally) Air France who have no flights at the moment.

With the just announced extended amnesty here until end July I'm thinking best to stay on here until then. By which time though both I and she will need new visas????

On 4/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, alyx said:

Any other airlines taking these steps in Thailand and elsewhere ?

Was to fly out today(April.23) to Taipei from CM on EVA Air. That was changed to tomorrow but departing from BKK. The flight has since been canceled. We have an onward flight to Vancouver but I don't know if this has been canceled also.

We canceled our tixs back in March in exchange for the 100% refund EVA was offering for certain routes.Glad we did.

22 hours ago, VBF said:

Slightly :offtopic:Just responding to @William C F Pierce

I returned to the UK on Mar 25th so have been back nearly a month.

I've noticed a distinct improvement in the supermarkets in my area (Surrey) since my return

On Monday I walked into my local Sainsburys without having to queue - had to previously. Got almost all I wanted, so definitely not empty + no queue at the checkout.

Shorter queues at other shops too, compared with 3 weeks ago. Prices not being increased beyond normal.

So if you do make it back, that's the situation...sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed relevant. 

Thanks nice to know there is an improvement in the store. The only mo, no is the uncontrolable death rate in the UK.

1 hour ago, William C F Pierce said:

Thanks nice to know there is an improvement in the store. The only mo, no is the uncontrolable death rate in the UK.

Which, according to yesterday's Government briefing, is beginning to level off and varies by area.  (BBC News good for following that)

But, as ever, published stats not always accurate.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:07 AM, bodga said:

You need to be aware  of EU  rules even if  the flight originates in Thailand as regards REFUNDS.

Rule 261 you are entitled to a refund, many airlines trying to get out of this but the law is there if the flight lands in the EU they have to abide by that. Of course they will try everything to wriggle  out of  it, more info here https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/news/2020-03-18-covid-19-guidance-eu-passenger-rights_en

You do  not have to accept vouchers but they will try to push you into this, this only applies if THEY cancel the flight, if  you cancel it its  different.

You are incorrect.  If the flight originates in Thailand you are only covered by EU261 if it is on an EU carrier.  The OP was flying from Thailand with a non-EU carrier (Thai Airways) so it doesn't matter whether he lands  in the EU or not, he is not covered.

I managed to get through to the B.A. U.K. Office today, for my partner and sons return flight from Newcastle to Bangkok, no voucher, 50% refund on the fares about £460 in total or change the date free. B.A. suggested the 1st of June, if they cancel it’s free again, if I cancel I would need to pay for new fares.

I was reluctant to rebook, we have until 14 days after the original flight date the 12th of May to make a new booking for free. I will wait to see what restrictions are in place for Thais and myself returning from the U.K.before I decide on a date.

My fare was a return, B.A. suggested a voucher, I requested a refund, no problem but it will several weeks for it to be processed.

The problem is no one can predict what restrictions will there be on returning to Thailand, my partner might have to travel alone, she has never travelled much, she has only transited through Heathrow once and will have a very lively 5 year old boy to contend with.

Do B.A. provide a service where she could be met at Heathrow after arriving from Newcastle and guided to the gate for the Bangkok flight ?

On 4/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, Dazinoz said:

I am australian and been living here nearly 7 years. I registered with the Oz embassy in Bangkok. No such request received to stay here, in fact the emails I have received are the opposite suggesting I head back.

Thanks for straightening the facts

9 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Interesting. Are his family Thai or  EU citizens? My wife and I were going to fly to Paris via Amman on 2 May. Cancelled some time ago now.

I contacted the French Embassy Bangkok yesterday and was told that my wife, a Thai national and resident, could fly with me as I am French resident to Paris on her Schengen short stay EU famille visa but the flight( if I could find one) must be direct. I am only aware of 2 airlines that offer direct to Paris flights: Thai, who have cancelled all international flights until July and ( seasonally) Air France who have no flights at the moment.

With the just announced extended amnesty here until end July I'm thinking best to stay on here until then. By which time though both I and she will need new visas????

They are both French citizens (expat in Thailand). 

I am not sure that the information given to you but the Embassy is correct. Actually, I doubt it.

As a French National ( or resident ) one is allowed to travel back to France and if there were restrictions on the route, then Swiss would not allow you to board (which, of course remains to be experimented:) )

This being said, I would remain in Thailand until the governments give a clear direction (none of them has so far ) especially if you plan to return to Thailand after your trip to France ( I guess that this is not your case ). Also, being free here, if you can afford to stay away from France, is better than being confined over there.