Thailand extends alcohol ban, health ministry says some measures could be eased

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

All I need to know is when can I get covered from head to toe in oil again??? 

im going into withdrawal here ????

Try a relatively cheap "Scouser Solution"....

Ask for "namman pheut" in your nearest Big C. Just in case they don't understand vegetable oil.

Then slather away.

Rooster

1 hour ago, Mikeasq60 said:

When can I fly into Thaland again so I can visit my wife?

1 hour ago, Magenta408 said:

I don't much care either way, I have my supplies, but what is the logic behind such an edic?  What does this serve? Power surge!

10th September. That’s when my flight is booked ,so that’s the day it’ll be opened...

5 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Do tell, I have a lot of back problems, I stopped outside my normal massage place on the darkside a few days ago after I saw the front door open, I was told straight up, no way, I asked can I get someone to come to my house and got the same response ???? A PM would suffice if you know of somewhere over here.

I think it is normal for staff/owners to live in there shops , do you think after all this pain they want somebody possibly infected in there home? It is by the day becoming evident things are going to be very different for a very long time, not just a few weeks.

• Like 1

Alcohol  ban helps control the spread of the virus ? , maybe it does,  but how about helping control the spread of this virus by closing  all the Street Markets  in East Pattaya which as of yesterday  were over crowded, many with masks and just as many without masks, i refer particularly to the market  on Soi Siam Country Club, it looks like just another ordinary day..

17 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"alcohol ban will help control the spread of the coronavirus by discouraging social gatherings" 

That only applies to people who require company in order to enjoy a drink, while millions worldwide now just want to sip a few, bored at home watching movies and licking the cat's butt ???? 

Make it yourself.

Edited by revup

Meanwhile the biggest clusters here comes from a)the army (read=government) holding a huge illegal sporting event and not really being penalised for it, and b) an Islamic gathering in KL where they thought Allah would protect - no booze there (that anyone would admit to anyway).

I do get that they want people to stop sitting around in bars and restaurants getting wasted on nasty spirits and gallons of Leo all night but surely the curfew does that. 

18 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Seriously, I need barber shops to reopen, I need a haircut. You can delay the entertainment.  

No problem here in Siem Reap, Cambodia - barber shops, beauty salons, massage parlors still open. In fact I got my hair cut a couple of days ago! No bans here (including bars and restaurants)!

I love that they have said the alcohol ban will end on April 30th. Really!?!? So you're telling us that you won't (probably on the 29th of April) decide that people might have parties to celebrate Labour Day on the 1st May? Then there's Coronation Day on the 4th, Visakha Bucha on the 6th and the Royal Ploughing ceremony on the 13th. I seriously can't see the alcohol ban ending soon. Not enough of the heirarchy have controlling interests in the liqour business.

• Like 2

Banning alcohol outright is dangerous in itself.  Alcoholics become dependant on alcohol (obviously) nut so does the body, you can't just cold turkey on alcohol like you could on say heroin.  The body needs to slowly get itself off it.  

From the few times I've been to Thailand thee did seem to be quite a few people who looked like they'd fit into the alcoholic category.............

What an absolute load of rubbish to reduce social gatherings those with drink problems and there are many start to get aggressive towards family if the government are going to ban the sake of alcohol then they have to give medication for free to those that will be suffering with withdrawal symptoms. I fear a lot of Violence will be taking place whilst this ban is in operation ☹️☹️☹️☹️

31 minutes ago, rott said:

So your idea of paradise is a place with no alcohol? 

Yes, it would mean that I could go out to a restaurant and enjoy a nice meal with my wife and not have to put up with some drunk coming and slobbering and spitting all over a person and then when you tell them to go away they get all offended and abusive and want to start a fight. So yes paradise would be a place where there were no offensive, abusive drunks which they all seem to become after too much alcohol.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

What an absolute load of rubbish to reduce social gatherings those with drink problems and there are many start to get aggressive towards family if the government are going to ban the sake of alcohol then they have to give medication for free to those that will be suffering with withdrawal symptoms. I fear a lot of Violence will be taking place whilst this ban is in operation ☹️☹️☹️☹️

What utter nonsense, yet another Falang who can’t see further than his own nose

one of the reasons for banning alcohol sales at this time is to attempt to reduce alcohol related problems such as domestic violence.

Thai guys being cooked up at home whilst drinking heavily isn’t good news for many Thai wives 

18 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Reading another internet news page, it seems the entertainment idea is going to be shut down for some time. They have five key reforms and opening up entertainment seems to be a long way down on the list.

define entertainment? golf courses in and around bkk are scheduled to open 1st may and are actively promiting this. prayut has connections with Royal Golf in lat krabang and they are accepting bookings.

4 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

What utter nonsense, yet another Falang who can’t see further than his own nose

one of the reasons for banning alcohol sales at this time is to attempt to reduce alcohol related problems such as domestic violence.

Thai guys being cooked up at home whilst drinking heavily isn’t good news for many Thai wives 

well said

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deevo666 said:

define entertainment? golf courses in and around bkk are scheduled to open 1st may and are actively promiting this. prayut has connections with Royal Golf in lat krabang and they are accepting bookings.

All courses have been taking bookings for May throughout the state of emergency 

In fact doctors have advised that alcohol is very good to prevent viruses. Also taking saunas kills the virus. So why ban these? Also doctors advise exercise to keep the immune system strong by keeping fit but my pool, gym and sauna are closed? Do they want the infection to spread? As far as closing down household items and shops, I do not see the logic. We all meet up in one place now, the supermarket! It has not made the virus worse and Sweden have taken no such measures and their peak is flattening in line with or better than most countries. The amount of people who got infected or died is very low in comparison to other countries. I believe that people should be allowed to return to work but to be vigilent and wear a mask in public places for a while longer and to eat well and take vitamins like Vitamin C.

Thank god, when I read the title of this I thought that Thailand extended the alcohol ban behond the 30 th april. Well can skip this as i am well aware of the ban until that date...

'The extension of the alcohol ban will help control the spread of the coronavirus by discouraging social gatherings, said Pongsakorn Kwanmuang, spokesman for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.' All this shows is how infantile these supposed leaders really are.... it's like being in a bloody kindergarten and thus the way they treat the people. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, pattayadgw said:

'The extension of the alcohol ban will help control the spread of the coronavirus by discouraging social gatherings, said Pongsakorn Kwanmuang, spokesman for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.' All this shows is how infantile these supposed leaders really are.... it's like being in a bloody kindergarten and thus the way they treat the people. 

But it’ will help control this spread, it already has helped control of the spread. 

nothing worse than a Farang who is slightly inconvenienced, is there?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I wonder how many farang would still see thailand as a paradise if they banned alcohol forever ? 

I know I'll get flamed for this but, personally I wouldn't mind too much as long as the entertainment places had a choice of healthy drinks. I wouldn't want to spend all night drinking sugar-laden colas for example.

Obviously the problem is that most places of entertainment make a very very large proportion of their money from booze.

My personal take is that I like alcoholic drink but I don't need it - I realise I'm unusual but we're all different.

I'm certainly not unique though because I have a good friend now living in Jomtien who hasn't drunk alcohol for more than 30 years.......and he used to run a very good GoGo bar on Phuket.

And oddly, 2 of my favourite ladies are non-drinkers.

Anyone thinking that the alcohol ban will be lifted on 30th April might want to consider that the 1st and 4th of May are national holidays. 1st is Labour day and 4th is H.M. Kings Coronation . 

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/2020

That's a Friday and Monday making for a long weekend break. Can't see them  allowing the sale of alcohol knowing that it will lead to massive binge drinking over that weekend.

I would guess that they will be pushing the alcohol ban forward again a week or two