RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

1 minute ago, pattayamick said:

I have lived in Pattaya since late 1970’ies. I have lost count of all the times Pattaya has been declared dead. Pattaya always bounces back.

Exactly. Until the girls from Isaan have better options they will continue coming to Pattaya

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I stand amazed that you can remember being over-charged for Pattaya taxi rides in 2004.  And, even more amazed that it apparently is still eating at you 16 years later.  How in the world do you handle something even more serious and distressing--like a stubbed toe?  

Of course you remember & thought robbing bstrds !!! & NOT eating at me stating a fact i have a few non pat friends who live out there and also stated same as me a couple posted on this thread !!! If you walk about forgetting everytime you get mugged of you must have a poor bank account ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Pattaya - thoughts come to mind....

It's like stumbling across a recently deceased torture victim killed by asphyxia.  A 'Plastic bag over the head' job. 

Pattaya has had its essential breathing air 'Tourism' taken away from it and has quickly died.

A quick check for vital signs reveal No heartbeat, no breathing. Pupils fixed and dilated.

However, the death has just occurred - there is a short window of opportunity of around 2-5 minutes where life can be restarted in a human being without permanent brain damage. A good first aider trained in AED use and BLS will stand a good chance of bringing the previously healthy patient back to life. 

The same goes for Pattaya - the death just occurred. There's a short window of opportunity of around 2-6 months where business life can be restarted without permanent damage to the existing economy and mass closures in the tourism service industry. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pattayamick said:

I have lived in Pattaya since late 1970’ies. I have lost count of all the times Pattaya has been declared dead. Pattaya always bounces back.

Yes, Pattaya has always bounced back, but I think it will take a long time for this bounce back to come, and the bounce will not be so high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

Pattaya - thoughts come to mind....

It's like stumbling across a recently deceased torture victim killed by asphyxia.  A 'Plastic bag over the head' job. 

Pattaya has had its essential breathing air 'Tourism' taken away from it and has quickly died.

A quick check for vital signs reveal No heartbeat, no breathing. Pupils fixed and dilated.

However, the death has just occurred - there is a short window of opportunity of around 2-5 minutes where life can be restarted in a human being without permanent brain damage. A good first aider trained in AED use and BLS will stand a good chance of bringing the previously healthy patient back to life. 

The same goes for Pattaya - the death just occurred. There's a short window of opportunity of around 2-6 months where business life can be restarted without permanent damage to the existing economy and mass closures in the tourism service industry. ????

A read through the news today,the British health chief saying that social distance will likely be in force all of 2020.The Aussie one saying roughly the same and forget foreign travel.A Chinese spokesperson saying that because of the reality that a second wave is happening no travel till October and possibly not before next year's Chinese New year.Japan is likely to go into lockdown soon.Here in the Netherlands every event is cancelled till I September.

Russia in trouble maybe.We are going nowhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

To do what?
Count flies?

In Le Figaro today, it is a French newspaper with a large circulation;
an article you would expect:

"Why a layoff tsunami is inevitable;
The purge that is preparing will be of unprecedented violence.

The layoffs will be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. "

And we are only talking about France, a country which has a system of protection for workers and the unemployed that Thailand does not have.

We can also expect a stunami of layoffs also in Thailand and maybe a civil war because tens of millions of Thais not only have no money to live but most are in debt and even over-indebtedness .

Millions of unemployed in most countries, slowly people are waking up to it

24 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

There's a short window of opportunity of around 2-6 months where business life can be restarted without permanent damage to the existing economy and mass closures in the tourism service industry. 

That will take tourists.  Where are they going to be coming from, and when?  

2 - 6 months is still low season, also, many will not have the available cash to holiday here next high season, planes will need to be flying with reasonable ticket prices, and Thailand will need the tourists to be able come here, and return home, without 2 weeks quarantine. 

2 - 6 months is optimistic. 

The best Pattaya can hope for is to be reincarnated. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, Don Mega said:

Pattaya is fantastic now... No smelly tourists from the UK/Russia/Europe/ETC ETC  and no hordes of chines in tourist busses.

hopefully it moves forward and never returns to  time gone by.

And where are you from ????????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Even before covid19 Pattaya was dying.

I doubt if even 50% of the bars will be able to reopen. 

Pattaya was certainly not dying !

Yes many of the too many beer bars will die from Covid impact,

but in my opinion it's a rather good thing for Pattaya ????

We are no more in the 80s-90s,

Pattaya doesn't need beer bars anymore, or just a few one for tourists.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, timendres said:

If the best of the lot migrate to Nana and Cowboy in BKK, I wouldn't complain.

Not that we have something to complain here in bkk but would be nice to have a whole new lot to choose from . Safes me a few trips a year to patts and when friends come over maybe they'll stay in bkk a bit longer ????????????

Edited by Nanaplaza666
Wasnt done yet

On 4/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, Pilotman said:

OP, the 80s and 90s may have been good for visiting western sex tourists, old farang slobs and worn out clapped out divorced bitter men,  but not for the Thai people, who had to service them for a pittence, or the bar girls working for a few Baht and no protection against the mafia that ran the place and exploited them.  I don't like the place now, but I don't look back on those times with rose tinted glasses.

Dont forget bar girls getting money sent too them from the four courners of the planet, house's built up in Issan for them by duped, love struck punters and of course go go girls earning up to 100000 baht a month lol, still it was a lot of fun if you used pay as you go.

A lot will depend on city hall. Do they want to ease up and let it be known Pattaya is open for fun, or will they take the opportunity to put a lid on nightlife and let it be known Pattaya is open for shopping, thereby attracting hordes of old foreign women looking for God knows what?

I agree that Pattaya is now a new cleaned up City ,because of this Wuhan Chinese virus .One can now walk down Soi 6 ,without that rotten fishy smell .Less cats calls all round to the sound  of >come inside you handsome devil < .

2 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Dont forget bar girls getting money sent too them from the four courners of the planet, house's built up in Issan for them by duped, love struck punters and of course go go girls earning up to 100000 baht a month lol, still it was a lot of fun if you used pay as you go.

No, it's 'pay as you come'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, Don Mega said:

Pattaya is fantastic now... No smelly tourists from the UK/Russia/Europe/ETC ETC  and no hordes of chines in tourist busses.

hopefully it moves forward and never returns to  time gone by.

So now it's a place worth visiting again. The hoards of tourists will be back and then ..... wash and repeat.....

On 4/21/2020 at 7:17 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

So what do you think will happen? Lots of fishermen in the future and they will use the bars in Walking Street as warehouses or what's on your mind?

Possibly all new businesses geared up for the first flood of Chinese tourists! There were rumors, I believe, that Pattaya and Phuket may become "Chinese Special Economic Zones" - like Sihanoukville in Cambodia. The Thais would love this with all the yuan flowing in! 

I can remember Russian Cruise Ships in the Sixties. They visited Lisbon for Example. to be led in a line to Busses, same Chinese style tour round the City following a Flag. I felt sorry for them. No real Money for the Locals, bit like the Chins in Pats they go to one Chin Eating Place much the same as Russians did. . Culling an overpopulated World has its costs.