Thai govt and Immigration confirm second visa amnesty - no need to do 90 day reports or extend visas

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What makes think they would do it that way?

It think they will have fixed date or say those that had them due in April do them by a certain date and then May, June and July do them by a certain date.

Or the best way would be to state the report is due 90 days from the date the skipped report was due.

Being dumb ,can i ask ,as i am on a yearly marriage visa ,and my 90 day is due next month ,am i covered and now do not need to do it ,thanks.

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Wouldn't it  be so much clearer if a blanket "Permission to stay" was extended until 31st July. After all, this is essentially the governing factor for ALL types of visa ?

But then Immigration would have nothing to do!  The point of the amnesty is to help those who are unable to leave to either go home or do a border run.  Thousands of expats who live here are unaffected and can still do their regular annual extensions, in, hopefully, a much quieter Immigration office.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Being dumb ,can i ask ,as i am on a yearly marriage visa ,and my 90 day is due next month ,am i covered and now do not need to do it ,thanks.

If you are on a one year extension of stay and are doing 90 reports you are included in it.

You do not need to do the reports until after July 31st.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

If your visa/permission to stay expired March 26 or later, you're covered by the amnesty. 1 year extensions has to be done same as before. 

Do you realize that "1 year extensions" in your second sentence relates to your "permission to stay" as mentioned in your first sentence? As such, your sentences contradict each other.

1 hour ago, cnxnicho said:

Agree totally and the Phuket article makes no mention of retirement/ marriage extensions, the amnesty covers visa extensions for foreigners here temporarily only.

FYI, "retirement/ marriage extensions" are for "foreigners here temporarily only."  There's a term for foreigners who can stay here in Thailand permanently, it's "permanent residents" and these don't need to do no extensions. If you are only retired or married (to a Thai) you're not there yet.

• Haha 1

Hi

I entered Thailand on February 12th on a Non IMM O single entry so was due to exit 11th May with Emirates then back to the UK but my flight was cancelled on 24th March.My Thai wife and I were planning to go to the Jomtien Immigration office on Friday 8th May to try to get an extension. We own a house on the Dark Side Pattaya in my wifes name and I have a house in the UK. I do not keep 400,000 baht in the bank as I am only doing the single entries everytime I enter so I am hoping this 31st July covers me. My wife was due to fly to the UK on 2nd June with Etihad but we have not received a cancellation for her flight yet. Any extension will help in the planning of return flights.

Bob Joshua

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

True, but the poster I replied to is currently outside of the country anyway. So again, what specifically should the government do to help people whose extension expires while they are abroad?

This is a particularly pertinent question for me on the very day that my (9th consecutive) extension based on retirement expires with me stuck in the UK. Of course, there doesn't need to be anything done at present as we can't get into Thailand, the question will only be relevant when international flights restart and people start turning up at immigration desks.

You ask what specifically should (or perhaps it should be could) the government do to help. What I would like on my eventual return would be a 30 day stamp during which I could go to my local immigration office and renew my extension as per normal even if it is backdated. Do I expect this? Not really.  When I finally do return (with my 8 year old dual national son in tow) I will make sure that I have the equivalent of 20k baht in my pocket and a cheap ticket out to do my best to make sure that I am admitted.

Posters who say it's easy to start again with a new non 'O' visa maybe don't have the same memory of the process that I have from 2011. Apart from the trip abroad for the actual visa then it has to be extended at my local office, Jomtien for another 30 days. Is that still followed by a trip to CW for an initial three month extension and finally a full year extension back at Jomtien? Any generosity from the Thai government towards people affected by being prevented in obtaining their extension at the correct time by the flight ban would me most welcome if not expected.   

• Like 1

I like to muddy the waters.

Say a teacher got a Non-B.  One year.  Then got an EXTENSION for another year, and this extension was set to expire.  Are you telling me they have to go to Immigration?  

IMO, they should just CLOSE immigration.  Then nobody needs to think about anything.  Like I'm not asking, "So, If I have 3 boys and 1 girl from Vietnam, can i cross the border into Laos?"  

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, BOB JOSHUA said:

Hi

I entered Thailand on February 12th on a Non IMM O single entry so was due to exit 11th May with Emirates then back to the UK but my flight was cancelled on 24th March.My Thai wife and I were planning to go to the Jomtien Immigration office on Friday 8th May to try to get an extension. We own a house on the Dark Side Pattaya in my wifes name and I have a house in the UK. I do not keep 400,000 baht in the bank as I am only doing the single entries everytime I enter so I am hoping this 31st July covers me. My wife was due to fly to the UK on 2nd June with Etihad but we have not received a cancellation for her flight yet. Any extension will help in the planning of return flights.

You good until July 31st. No need to do anything at immigration.

8 minutes ago, sniggie said:

This is a particularly pertinent question for me on the very day that my (9th consecutive) extension based on retirement expires with me stuck in the UK. Of course, there doesn't need to be anything done at present as we can't get into Thailand, the question will only be relevant when international flights restart and people start turning up at immigration desks.

You will certainly have to start all over again.

You best option is to apply for a single entry non-o visa online at the embassy in London or in person at one of the consulates in the UK.

Requirements are here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

You other option as you wrote is not all that great if they give you the runaround at a immigration office.

13 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I like to muddy the waters.

Say a teacher got a Non-B.  One year.  Then got an EXTENSION for another year, and this extension was set to expire.  Are you telling me they have to go to Immigration?  

IMO, they should just CLOSE immigration.  Then nobody needs to think about anything.  Like I'm not asking, "So, If I have 3 boys and 1 girl from Vietnam, can i cross the border into Laos?"  

Yes teachers with annual extensions still need to go to Immigration to process a new one.  The good news is that Immigration is not too busy and it should take far less time than usual.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The point of the amnesty is to help those who are unable to leave to either go home or do a border run.  Thousands of expats who live here are unaffected and can still do their regular annual extensions, in, hopefully, a much quieter Immigration office.

If that's the case then why also forfeit the 90 day report? The other half of the whole point that you missed is to prevent folks from gathering in notoriously crowded public (in this case immigration) offices. It doesn't make sense when you forbid people from sitting across one another in restaurants and then stuff them into a sardine can, does it? My take on whether amnesty extension covers a) 90 day report and not b) 1 year extension (retirement/marriage) is like saying the girl is "half-pregnant." Either you cover both or you do neither.

In reality this translate to: Under amnesty cover, you (farang) don't have to buy it, but if you want, we (Immigration) will sell it to you. This applies to "a" (90 day report, no charge) as plenty have attested to, right? You can still do it (on line/on land whatever), or you can skip it for now. This also applies to "b" (1 year extension) as some have reported (some first hand experience and hot line 1178). You don't have to get it during the amnesty period, but if you show up and apply for it, we will (for the usual 1900 baht fees) give it to you. 

In an "abundance of caution", most of us, including yours truly, will buy it simply because we can, whenever we can. Whether you take the risk of infection getting yourself in a petri dish, it's up to yoo.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, watthong said:

If that's the case then why also forfeit the 90 day report? The other half of the whole point that you missed is to prevent folks from gathering in notoriously crowded public (in this case immigration) offices. It doesn't make sense when you forbid people from sitting across one another in restaurants and then stuff them into a sardine can, does it? My take on whether amnesty extension covers a) 90 day report and not b) 1 year extension (retirement/marriage) is like saying the girl is "half-pregnant." Either you cover both or you do neither.

In reality this translate to: Under amnesty cover, you (farang) don't have to buy it, but if you want, we (Immigration) will sell it to you. This applies to "a" (90 day report, no charge) as plenty have attested to, right? You can still do it (on line/on land whatever), or you can skip it for now. This also applies to "b" (1 year extension) as some have reported (some first hand experience and hot line 1178). You don't have to get it during the amnesty period, but if you show up and apply for it, we will (for the usual 1900 baht fees) give it to you. 

In an "abundance of caution", most of us, including yours truly, will buy it simply because we can, whenever we can. Whether you take the risk of infection getting yourself in a petri dish, it's up to yoo.

I think you're overstating it.  Workplaces like offices are still open although employing social-distancing.  Immigration is no exception.  Shutting down the whole place would lead to chaos when it re-opens.  The current plan is logical as it removes the necessity for all the stranded tourists and border-runners to make the trip to Immigration. Extending their stay until 31 July gives them plenty of time to go home, or, when the borders reopen, do their border run.  Expats who live here are in a different position - Thailand is their home!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately not all Imm offices are complying with this.

Mine continues to require 90 day reports, refuses to accept them online and demands a bribe to submit them in person. 

There are those in society that will always take advantage of others in a crises.

Set up a mini video recording camera of the IO demanding the accepting the bride and put it up on YouTube.  

OK, I glanced at ALL 9 pages.....question:

Non-B, FIRST year (NO Extension, and not looking for an extension with my current school).  Expires:  April 30th, contract expires same date.  

I think we DON'T yet have an answer......do the @ with my name when someone knows if I need to go to immigration or not, AND if I'll have a Non-B until July 31th or something else AND if I can apply for a NEW Non-B with a different school in Thailand (can't leave).  lol

i know, i'm difficult.  thanks.  

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Like everything in Thailand even printed, unequivocal words don't count for much.  

I have done my yearly extension as normal, and would advise anyone with a non- imm O or B visa to do the same, particularly as immigration offices are so quiet at the moment.

IMHO take no notice of anything Thai Immigration announces about any relief of visa requirements.

just keep doing what you do for your reporting and renewals normally.

As these IO sharks will we waiting after July to screw you over and have their hand out for the bride shortfalls from agents and Farangs during this corona virus crises.

Most of them never miss an opportunity to screw visa applicants over for money.

The boys at the top of the IO brown paper bag chain of repotting will not put up with shortfalls in their monthly ill gotten gains.

Really confusing.

My visa non-imm O marriage ends aug 2020.

I just went to immigration and gotten 60 days extension of stay.

60 days extension of stay due 30 June 2020. So am I included in the amnesty 31 jUly 2020?

do I need to report my 90 days?

Or do I have to go back immigration before 30 June 2020 for another extension? The embassy covid-19 letter of extension? 

Please enlighten me. Thankss.

11 minutes ago, Alittleguy said:

Really confusing.

My visa non-imm O marriage ends aug 2020.

I just went to immigration and gotten 60 days extension of stay.

60 days extension of stay due 30 June 2020. So am I included in the amnesty 31 jUly 2020?

do I need to report my 90 days?

Or do I have to go back immigration before 30 June 2020 for another extension? The embassy covid-19 letter of extension? 

Please enlighten me. Thankss.

You can stay until July 31st. No need to go to immigration for anything.

Ninety day reports are suspended.

4 minutes ago, Helios said:

My visa on arrival expired on March 25th but I extended for an additional 30 days at CW, so will my visa automatically be extended? 

You can stay until July 31st. No need to do anything at immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Siameaze said:

I will be submitting my annual extension of stay based on retirement using >65k monthly income at Udon Thani before May 26.

I believe I will have all the necessary documents (e.g. Bank Book with FTT deposit recording)with the possible exception of the letter from Bangkok Bank. Does anyone have an example of a letter that has been accepted by Immigtation in a successful renewal ( preferably by Udon Thani Immigration). I want to be able to show an example to Bangkok Bank where my direct deposit account is held to smooth the process in getting that document.

Thanks for your help on this

And a letter confirming your income from your embassy?

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There seems to be considerable doubt that the original and now extended amnesty period has ever applied to those on annual extensions of stay based on marriage or retirement. UJ I believe has specifically posted that those on annual extensions are NOT covered and need to apply for new extensions same as always.

So as regards 90 day reporting, it becomes an interesting question, does the amnesty on 90 day reporting only apply to the tourist and visa exempt type entries that ARE clearly covered by the amnesty, or does it instead apply to everyone regardless of visa/extension type?

I'm on a retirement extension of stay, and until/unless I hear something with more clarity, I'm going to go ahead and do my next 90-day report when it's due, and fortunately being in BKK, I'm able to do it online.

As is usual, Immigration and their announcements are as clear as mud.

No there isn't any doubt at all. Those on marriage or retirement extensions are not affected by this amnesty. They/we just carry on as normal.

And regarding the 90 day reports about which you also seem to be confused about, they only apply that same group, marriage or retirement extensions. (plus maybe a few I don't know about)

And I really do not understand why folks are getting their knickers in a twist regarding 90 day reports. You've all got it crystal clear in black and white. They are NOT REQUIRED. SO DON'T DO THEM. End of issue.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Siameaze said:

I will be submitting my annual extension of stay based on retirement using >65k monthly income at Udon Thani before May 26.

I believe I will have all the necessary documents (e.g. Bank Book with FTT deposit recording)with the possible exception of the letter from Bangkok Bank. Does anyone have an example of a letter that has been accepted by Immigtation in a successful renewal ( preferably by Udon Thani Immigration). I want to be able to show an example to Bangkok Bank where my direct deposit account is held to smooth the process in getting that document.

Thanks for your help on this

Standard bank letter. bank letter.pdf  I used the same letter from Bangkok Bank for my extension at immigration.

You will need a bank statement showing all of your transfer. It takes about a week to get the bank statment that will show 12 months.

27 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

And a letter confirming your income from your embassy?

He is from a country whose embassy does not issue one. He has to shows transfers into a Thai bank to prove his income.

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And I really do not understand why folks are getting their knickers in a twist regarding 90 day reports. You've all got it crystal clear in black and white. They are NOT REQUIRED. SO DON'T DO THEM. End of issue.

Because some people here keep saying that the ministerial order doesn't cover people on one year extensions.

If this were the case, then it would just be logical that they are also not exempt from 90 day reports.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Because some people here keep saying that the ministerial order doesn't cover people on one year extensions.

If this were the case, then it would just be logical that they are also not exempt from 90 day reports.

The two are not really related. I have said it will cover them if they are unable to do their extension. I do not suggest people skip their extension application since it not 100% clear that they would be able to apply for their extension when the emergency ends.

No linkage between the two different parts of the ministerial order regarding extensions and 90 day reports.

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:
33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then 'some people' have got it all wrong, because 90 days only apply those on extensions. There is no ambiguity whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The two are not really related. I have said it will cover them if they are unable to do their extension. I do not suggest people skip their extension application since it not 100% clear that they would be able to apply for their extension when the emergency ends.

No linkage between the two different parts of the ministerial order regarding extensions and 90 day reports.

You made several posts which say that the ministerial order does not apply to people with one year extensions.

Here just posts from one topic, there are probably several more in other topics:
"The ministerial order is only for those that have to be able to leave the country. "
"The way I read the ministerial order it does not apply to those on long term extensions of stay."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1158807-question-about-non-o-extension-update/

I understand that you changed your opinion in the meantime, but these posts from 10 days ago is what people are remembering and which is now confusing them.

So, what happens in July 31?  Every person in Thailand with a visa extensions and 90 day reports covered under this announcement then have to show up at Immigration on August 1st? 

Can you envision the <deleted> of a zoo that's going to create?  Wow.

• Sad 1