Thai govt and Immigration confirm second visa amnesty - no need to do 90 day reports or extend visas

4 hours ago, Alittleguy said:

Really confusing.

My visa non-imm O marriage ends aug 2020.

I just went to immigration and gotten 60 days extension of stay.

60 days extension of stay due 30 June 2020. So am I included in the amnesty 31 jUly 2020?

do I need to report my 90 days?

Or do I have to go back immigration before 30 June 2020 for another extension? The embassy covid-19 letter of extension? 

Please enlighten me. Thankss.

Ubonjoe already clarified things, but why would you be confused in the first place?

You're on a non-O visa. So you're covered. You never do a 90 day report anyway, that's only for extensions of stay. Normally you leave every 90 days (or 90+60 days). At the moment you can't but with the amnesty valid until July 31, by which time the borders will likely have re-opened, you'll be fine.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There seems to be considerable doubt that the original and now extended amnesty period has ever applied to those on annual extensions of stay based on marriage or retirement. UJ I believe has specifically posted that those on annual extensions are NOT covered and need to apply for new extensions same as always.

So as regards 90 day reporting, it becomes an interesting question, does the amnesty on 90 day reporting only apply to the tourist and visa exempt type entries that ARE clearly covered by the amnesty, or does it instead apply to everyone regardless of visa/extension type?

I'm on a retirement extension of stay, and until/unless I hear something with more clarity, I'm going to go ahead and do my next 90-day report when it's due, and fortunately being in BKK, I'm able to do it online.

As is usual, Immigration and their announcements are as clear as mud.

When my 90 day is due I'll march down to Immigration like a good little farang and submit the 90 day in person.  They can either accept it or tell me how to proceed after July 31. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Guderian said:

The original extension wasn't exactly generous, announced in April and allowing people to stay until the end of the month. About what you'd expect from such a niggardly bunch as Immigration. Now suddenly they turn in Santa Claus, have another 90-day extension for free, and maybe more to come after that, who knows?

Surely they should be trying to get foreign tourists back home ASAP, shouldn't they, not encouraging them to stay for another three months? Does this mean that they don't expect normal international air travel to even begin to resume until August at the earliest? Or is it a desperate attempt to cling on to what little is left of Thailand's tourist industry, lol?

What a stupid comment.

There are no flights aside from repatriation flights currently being allowed to land in Thailand, and most of these have already departed with few flights still on the agenda. Many tourists did try to leave but their flights were cancelled or they're too expensive, so they prefer to ride it out. And not everyone is a tourist, some are on non-O visas and married to Thais. They don't want to leave, but normally they would need to do a 90 day border bounce, which is not an option for the time being.

The government, or at least the immigration department, probably doesn't know when the crisis will end. Instead of congratulating them on finally making a rational decision you condemn them. In my opinion, international air travel may resume by June or July, but it will be limited until August or September.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

So what happens on August 1.  Does everyone have to do there 90 day report then or is there a grace period (7 days)?

Then is your next 90 day reporting date October 30?

Can you imagine all expats having the same expiration dates on their 90 day reports and then everyone having to file them during the same time period.  <laughs>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

What a stupid comment.

There are no flights aside from repatriation flights currently being allowed to land in Thailand

This is untrue. There are plenty of airlines using Bangkok as a stopover. For example you can fly with Eva Air back to London for 20,825 next week. Anyone who really needs to get home can but a lot of tourists have run out of money or are just waiting it out until flight prices decrease.

17 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Having to start from scratch means first having to get a Non-O visa from outside of Thailand.

Renewing can be done without leaving the country and only extending the existing visa, no need for a new one.

You can do it in Thailand with a visa exempt entry

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Here just posts from one topic, there are probably several more in other topics:
"The ministerial order is only for those that have to be able to leave the country. "
"The way I read the ministerial order it does not apply to those on long term extensions of stay."

When taken out of context they may appear that way.

I think I have softened my stance is more correct. But I will continue to say that people should do their extension not skip doing them since they may not be able to go back on the extension after the emergency ends. They may have to start all over again by getting a new non immigrant visa.

It does certainly apply to those that cannot qualify for their extensions or do not want to keep their extensions since the only way to stay longer would be to leave the country.

Trying to tie extensions of stay and 90 day reporting together was a little disingenuous.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

Can you imagine all expats having the same expiration dates on their 90 day reports and then everyone having to file them during the same time period. 

They will not be expecting everybody to report at the same time. There will set a date or dates to them by.

They could just say that your first report will be 90 days from when your skipped report was due. Or set dates by the month it was skipped. For example those in that were due in April would be due in August.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The two are not really related. I have said it will cover them if they are unable to do their extension. I do not suggest people skip their extension application since it not 100% clear that they would be able to apply for their extension when the emergency ends.

No linkage between the two different parts of the ministerial order regarding extensions and 90 day reports.

The section granting relief of 90 days is subsection (2) of section 2.

Of course there is a link.

Subsection (2) does not exist alone , the same as subsection (1) and (3) of section 2

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Is there any chance of having a separate thread for discussion on the serious issue of amnesty for visas/extensions, without the overwhelming babble about when to do a 90 day report?

It would not help since people would just drag it offtopic.

Everything being discussed now was discussed from the 8th onward when the first topic about the ministerial order was posted.

Nothing really new other than the date the original order was extended to.

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Some have real concerns about possibly becoming overstayed, with the massive consequences that may invoke, and would like to get factual information on whether or not their visa class is covered by this announcement, without having to prospect through scores of posts from the panickers worried about the remote prospect of incurring a small fine for missing a deadline..

Nobody would be on an overstay unless they were on one prior to March 26th and if they were they would not be fined for the days after that day.

If a person in a situation where the only way to stay longer in the country is to leave the country you are covered by the ministerial order until July 31st now. 

• Thanks 1

In spite of the announcement some time back regarding the waving of the requirement to do a 90 day report, I went to the Chiang Rai immigration office yesterday and they processed the 90 day request. The office was nearly empty, and it took less than a minute to get in and out. 

If the 90 day WASN'T expected or required, one wonders why they processed me yesterday. 

29 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Is there any chance of having a separate thread for discussion on the serious issue of amnesty for visas/extensions, without the overwhelming babble about when to do a 90 day report?

I know they're linked in the cabinet decision, but vary greatly in importance for foreigners in this country. Apparently many panic merchants here consider the minor reporting issue to be paramount. One even wanted to know when in August he needed to report!

Some have real concerns about possibly becoming overstayed, with the massive consequences that may invoke, and would like to get factual information on whether or not their visa class is covered by this announcement, without having to prospect through scores of posts from the panickers worried about the remote prospect of incurring a small fine for missing a deadline..

If you had a valid permission to stay until at least 26th March you are covered by the automatic extension until 31st July, as easy as that, no exceptions, no overstay.

Most people here probably agree with this by now, and the people who don't are advised to call 1178 and get this confirmed.

Ubonjoe just has concerns that if somebody decides to not extend his one year extension when it's due now and use the automatic extensions, that immigration might not issue this person a one year extension in 3 months when the automatic extension ends, but requires this person to leave the country. I don't share this concern, but currently there is not enough evidence to properly prove if this is justified or not, so this is just speculation.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, b17 said:

If the 90 day WASN'T expected or required, one wonders why they processed me yesterday. 

If you go to an office there is nothing that requires them not to accept it.

It very simple to understand they are not required as written in the ministerial order that went into effect on the 7th of April.

If an office tryed to fine you for late reporting you could show them the section of the order that states they are not required.

Mine was due on the 18th and I have not done it and will not be doing it by Friday.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately not all Imm offices are complying with this.

Mine continues to require 90 day reports, refuses to accept them online and demands a bribe to submit them in person. 

hi sheryl , 

which imm office  province are u in ? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Ubonjoe just has concerns that if somebody decides to not extend his one year extension when it's due now and use the automatic extensions, that immigration might not issue this person a one year extension in 3 months when the automatic extension ends, but requires this person to leave the country. I don't share this concern, but currently there is not enough evidence to properly prove if this is justified or not, so this is just speculation.

But why would a person not do their extension? The offices are not crowded now and will not be until after the order ends. 

I would hope that people that need to be prepared to the their extension are not avoiding doing it. For example those using the 800k or 400k baht in the bank for 2 months before the day they apply.

Can you imagine the mess in August it would be if a lot people skipped their extensions and showed up in August to do them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
10 minutes ago, b17 said:

It very simple to understand they are not required as written in the ministerial order that went into effect on the 7th of April.

If an office tryed to fine you for late reporting you could show them the section of the order that states they are not required.

Mine was due on the 18th and I have not done it and will not be doing it by Friday.

Here I go being led off the main topic already.

My report was due yesterday, I'm not even thinking about it. However, yesterday a neighbor did his 90 day report at the moribund temporary immigration office on the Chalong Pier. The fishing must have been quiet. Also yesterday I did one on line for a friend that was rejected because I made a minor error with his address. It didn't match their records because I transposed one number!

(My reports don't work on line).

My real concerns relate to my retirement extension expiring early next month with the related health insurance criteria probably making it ineligible, and my inability to follow through with my plan to switch to marriage because the Amphurs closed down before I could register the act. I can't even get to Immigration to discuss the issue because of road blocks. This is why accurate information on amnesties is crucial for me.

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

So, to summarize for a marriage visa:

Extension or stay - not covered

Single/Multiple entry visas covered by amnesty.

?

Your 'Extension to stay' is automatically extended until 31 July!

My Non-O multi entry Visa (Given on grounds of Married to Thai) expired in February, I came back to Thailand (After a 30 minutes trip to Laos) on 25 February before the Visa expired, and got 90 days 'permition to stay' (Until 25 April). That was automatically extended until  30 April, and is now again automatically extended until 31 July.

When  (If) the border opens before 31 July, I have to go to Lao sometime before 31 July to get a new Visa. Until then I don't have to do anything (Including 90 days reporting )

This has all been confirmed by Mukdahan immigration.

Edited by Jorgendk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

My real concerns relate to my retirement extension expiring early next month with the related health insurance criteria probably making it ineligible, and my inability to follow through with my plan to switch to marriage because the Amphurs closed down before I could register the act. I can't even get to Immigration to discuss the issue because of road blocks. This is why accurate information on amnesties is crucial for me.

What exactly do you have to do at the Amphoe?

You do have the option to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time unless you are not legally married now.

It may be that more offices will be open after the 30th when the new emergency decree goes into effect.

Phuket immigration is the only place that can tell you what would happen if you did not do your extension next month. I am concerned each office may have different interpretation of the ministerial order for long stay extensions since is not clearly stated in it.

If you were denied your extension due to not having health insurance you would certainly be under the order until July 31st.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But why would a person not do their extension? The offices are not crowded now and will not be until after the order ends. 

I would hope that people that need to be prepared to the their extension are not avoiding doing it. For example those using the 800k or 400k baht in the bank for 2 months before the day they apply.

Can you imagine the mess in August it would be if a lot people skipped their extensions and showed up in August to do them.

It depends on the circumstances:

50 year old healthy person: Just go now, you even have the advantage of an empty immigration office. The chance to get run over by a car on the way to the immigration office is probably way higher than catching Corona and dying from it.

80 year old with asthma and high blood pressure: I wouldn't tell this person to go to the immigration office to do an extension.

In the end everybody has to make this decision by himself, to make a proper decision the people should be given correct information.

At least until yesterday we had several posters here who told people that if they don't go for the one year extension when it's due they will be on overstay, which does of course pressure people into going to the immigration office. Some people might have decided to stay at home if they knew that they won't be on overstay.

9 hours ago, connda said:

So, what happens in July 31?  Every person in Thailand with a visa extensions and 90 day reports covered under this announcement then have to show up at Immigration on August 1st? 

Can you envision the <deleted> of a zoo that's going to create?  Wow.

No.  The people covered under this amnesty should have been able to leave Thailand by 31 July.  The reason they set a 3 month amnesty is they fully expect borders to reopen and (departing) flights to resume in the next 3 months.  If that doesn't happen, I guess the amnesty will be extended again.

90 day reporting for Expats who live here hasn't been stopped completely; you just will not be fined if you miss it during the period of the amnesty.  Nothing to stop you doing it by mail or online if you can.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where in Thai law is the power granted to a minister to disapply section 37(5) of the immigration act

( 90 days report).

Section 17 of the immigration act only allows the disapplication to certain groups in accordance to their permission to stay as a special case.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, rech said:

if you are here with a non-o multi-entry, can you stay when your 90 days expire ?

even if your visa has already expired ? (need to leave the country to get a new non-o multi entries)

Jes.

I am in same situation, and it is confirmed by Mukdahan Immigration. 

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What exactly do you have to do at the Amphoe?

You do have the option to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time unless you are not legally married now.

It may be that more offices will be open after the 30th when the new emergency decree goes into effect.

Phuket immigration is the only place that can tell you what would happen if you did not do your extension next month. I am concerned each office may have different interpretation of the ministerial order for long stay extensions since is not clearly stated in it.

If you were denied your extension due to not having health insurance you would certainly be under the order until July 31st.

Amphurs are where you register marriages.

Obviously, as stated, I have yet to do this despite being in the relationship for more than a dozen years. Getting documents from my consulate and having them translated took longer than expected and, strangely enough, the virus closedowns weren't anticipated. The Amphurs closed the day before we went there, remain shut and are now inaccessible anyway because of roadblocks.

The fact that there are 4 public holidays at the beginning of May cause additional difficulty in getting advice from Immigration before my extension expires. Of course, I could apply for retirement again, face the chance of rejection, and come under the blanket amnesty of someone without a current permission to stay, but have good reason to avoid this.

Perhaps you now have a better understanding of my interest in accuracy on the issue.