Fitting an outside bath.

vogie

IMG_20200423_105205.thumb.jpg.f7b7cad3bb63b5afbc85ca7b03ebdf03.jpgMy friend wants me to build a frame for a bath he wishes to use outside, there will be no plumbing involved as the bathtub will filled with a hose and waste water let out to run on to the garden, the bath will be sitting on the flags though.

It seems the bottom of the bath will be carrying the most load and therefore if the bath comes with this type of fitting will it be enough to hold the weight of the water or is this fitting just for adjusting the height of the bathtub? If I can explain that the tub has not arrived yet and I am not sure if it even comes with this fitting, but if not the fabrication of one will not be a problem.

We don't want to place it on mortar as he wants to be able to move the bathtub. Thanks

The bathtub has just arrived and it has these plastic fittings as supports, will these supply enough surface area of the tub to carry the weight of the water?

Edited by vogie
Bath arrived

Bath holds about 100l so 100 Kgs. When someone climbs in they will displace water but as they cannot completely submerge their whole weight in water maybe half. So the support need to be for the heaviest person in the family plus 50kgs or half the water. Roughly.

• Like 1

Looks to me it will be too easy to flip over if you just use the plastic support.

Have a simple steel frame made that supports the outside edge and let the bottom carry weight as well.

Will be a nice simple solution to cool off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The bathtub has just arrived and it has these plastic fittings as supports, will these supply enough surface area of the tub to carry the weight of the water?

No. You need to support the top as well, this will prevent the side’s bowing out

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No. You need to support the top as well, this will prevent the side’s bowing out

Yes the plan is to build a galvanised metal frame with struts supporting the plastic legs, I was just unsure whether those legs would be strong enough.

59 minutes ago, vogie said:

Looks very nice, is the water filtered?

No the water comes from the well(30 meters)it has a nice blue color and tastes really good.

A little cold sometimes.

• Like 2

Just now, jvs said:

Sure but i dont have that kind of money.

Neither did I.  I then found out that if I lowered my spec for some kind of filtered, outside water facility, the cost didn't change all that much, so a pool it was. albeit the cheapest design I could find.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The girl is free for 30 days.  If you decide to keep her the price will increase exponentially every 30 days.

• Haha 1

I built a frame using aerated 10 cm concrete blocks. Easy.

Then vertically cut back the top row in order to get the bath neatly fitting in there. Obviously glue the bath into place but before doing so bung in a lot of wet mortar under the base of the bath and don't be afraid to pump in loads of PU foam. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t use those 4 points as a stand for the bath.

Those are to help lock the bath into place when fitted into a cradle

Sand cements mix added by some builders to stop the bath cracking or the drain plug being broken and pushed through the bath (cheaper baths are quite weak there) by feet on it.

you could build a decorative stone rock plinth that takes in the whole base of the bath fill that with a damp mix of cement n sand at 5 to 1 then settle the bath in that.

(This is easy to break out later if need be).
Backfill with decorative small pebbles These will add support to the bath And assist the cement base in stopping lateral movement/ ‘rocking’ , it’ll add a beautiful element to the overall design, and slow water to flow away. If you want to you could catch this water dripping from entering and exiting the bath and divert into a small lotus pond nearby Just as you plan to do with the grey bath water ????????

13 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I wouldn’t use those 4 points as a stand for the bath.

Those are to help lock the bath into place when fitted into a cradle

Sand cements mix added by some builders to stop the bath cracking or the drain plug being broken and pushed through the bath (cheaper baths are quite weak there) by feet on it.

you could build a decorative stone rock plinth that takes in the whole base of the bath fill that with a damp mix of cement n sand at 5 to 1 then settle the bath in that.

(This is easy to break out later if need be).
Backfill with decorative small pebbles These will add support to the bath And assist the cement base in stopping lateral movement/ ‘rocking’ , it’ll add a beautiful element to the overall design, and slow water to flow away. If you want to you could catch this water dripping from entering and exiting the bath and divert into a small lotus pond nearby Just as you plan to do with the grey bath water ????????

Thanks for the input but I am building it for a friend who is in oz and is unable to return to Thailand because of the present circumstances. He wants it mobile, he doesn't want it plumbing in.

I have thought about this and the only practicle solution that I can see is to get a piece of thick Plywood and place on the plastic blocks and backfill with expanding foam therefore distributing the load a lot better.

No weight must be put on the lip of the bathtub and baring in mind that the tub holds a 180 litres of water and let's say for argument that the person is 100 Kilo, that is 280 kilo in total, so each block would be supporting 70 kilo.

A photo of work in progress.

IMG_20200426_111505.jpg

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

No weight must be put on the lip of the bathtub and baring in mind that the tub holds a 180 litres of water and let's say for argument that the person is 100 Kilo, that is 280 kilo in total, so each block would be supporting 70 kilo.

Looks good but bear in mind that the total weight will be less.If the bath holds 180 liters when full

you need to remember that a person weighing 100 kilo will displace roughly 100 liters.

So you only need to put 80 liters of water in the bath to have the baht full when the person enters the bath,if not 100 liters of water will be going over the top.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Looks good but bear in mind that the total weight will be less.If the bath holds 180 liters when full

you need to remember that a person weighing 100 kilo will displace roughly 100 liters.

So you only need to put 80 liters of water in the bath to have the baht full when the person enters the bath,if not 100 liters of water will be going over the top.

The specifications I would imagine means reconmended filling and not to the lip as it does have an overflow fitted. Thanks

D.I.Y., OMG, Uncle caused more damage than the Money he Saved. Put me off for life. My Dad bolted Industrial fittings to Beautiful Oak Doors. Kitchen Cabinets so Hi no one could reach, matters not they fell down once a month. Chap next door here fitted water a pump that irrigates our Mangoes, but his Showers no good.????

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Very impressive. I'll buy you a beer.... ... oh balls!

My friends wife gave me a box of 'MY' beer as a thank you, never tried it before, probably under normal conditions it would not be my number one choice, but at this stage anything that has beer written on the can/bottle is drinkable, except Leo of course.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

My friends wife gave me a box of 'MY' beer as a thank you, never tried it before, probably under normal conditions it would not be my number one choice, but at this stage anything that has beer written on the can/bottle is drinkable, except Leo of course.

MY beer is ok, best of the bad bunch.

I'm drinking it right now; it tastes best - ie just about palatable, when it's very cold.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Looks good.  Did you use mechanical connections or weld (MIG?).

I used 'L' brackets, so quick to do and baring in mind that the frame is not carrying any weight, only the saddle in the middle is carrying all the weight which in turn is transfering all the weight to the patio tiles. I can weld but this is galvanised steel and can start spitting and indeed give out toxic fumes, but there was no need. Never used mig or tig in my life but have qualifications for arc welding, the box steel is so thin it would be better oxy/acet or brazing.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 6:31 PM, nauseus said:

Very impressive. I'll buy you a beer.... ... oh balls!

I suppose you've heard the news.????????????????????????.........????????????????????