Expert virologist spells out main criteria for Covid-19 safe zone

snoop1130

Expert virologist spells out main criteria for Covid-19 safe zone

By THE NATION

800_29b474de7343df6.jpg

Yong Poovorawan

Only a place that has been free from a Covid-19 case for 28 days can be considered a safe zone, Dr Yong Poovorawan, expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, said.

The doctor said through his social media account that the a safe zone is always a place which is free from a disease for two times the incubation period. The concept was used in the time of Sars, Mers and also Ebola.

For example in the case of Sars, a safe zone is an area where a Sars case is not found for 20 days, since the incubation period is 10 days.

In the case of Covid-19, the safe zone must be areas where Covid-19 is not found for 28 days, since its incubation period is 14 days.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386627

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-23

• Sad 1

If only one person enters this so-called "safe zone" within those 28 days, it cannot be considered safe anymore. As it's impossible to prevent this from happening, I think the whole concept of designating a "safe zone" is questionable.

Then again, I'm not a Thai expert virologist. What do I know?

20 hours ago, YetAnother said:

there is nothing that can be considered a safe zone unless no one Ever goes in and out of it and nothing in the way of products comes /goes in/out; am not a virologist but i wonder this expert's intelligence

That's a given. Do you think he is that stupid? I'm sure he know a heck of a lot more about his field than most of the farangs on TV. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Do you think he is that stupid? I'm sure he know a heck of a lot more about his field than most of the farangs on TV. 

Indeed he is internationally respected person in his field, the article as is common with reporters dumbs him down. 

Great news! Open up our parks, beaches, restaurants and bars and stick the curfew where the sun doesn't shine.

Oh, and my missus says open all the shopping malls and beauty parlours, too. But for reasons which will be obvious I am saying "Nah!"