Zebras seen as source of disease that is killing horses in Thailand

webfact

Zebras seen as source of disease that is killing horses in Thailand

By The Nation

800_df71bd6b78edf5b.jpeg?v=1587700718

Zebras are presumed to be the cause of African Horse Sickness that has killed hundreds of horses all over Thailand, experts said.

The Department of Livestock Development and Thailand Equestrian Federation said zebras may be the source of the outbreak. They asked everyone who owns a zebra to help prevent the spread of the disease.

All zebras must now be quarantined in covered stables with a very fine wire screen, 32 holes for an inch, to prevent disease carriers such as gnat and horsefly.

Owners of zebras can request the screen from the federation via 02-710-3166 or http://tefthailand.com website.

The department has told the zebra owners to strictly follow suggestions to protect the lives of horses in the country.

Source:  https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386691

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

I keep calling but its always engaged. Any other Zebra owners have the same problem..? Must be getting thousands of calls by now. Most of my friends have the same problem trying to get through. 

I think it might be easier to paint them to look like horses.

Question? Should I paint the white bits black or the black bits white.

What do other Zebra owners suggest?

Just cover it with a newspaper. Then it will be black and white and read all over.

Edited by bluesofa

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

I keep calling but its always engaged. Any other Zebra owners have the same problem..? Must be getting thousands of calls by now. Most of my friends have the same problem trying to get through. 

I think it might be easier to paint them to look like horses.

Question? Should I paint the white bits black or the black bits white.

What do other Zebra owners suggest?

Exploiting the limitations of Zebra's legal definition to the full we have given our's a multi colour paint job which we call Zainbow's to complete the deception ..  

IMG_20200424_092924.jpg

• Haha 1

Yes, I mentioned this on the April 3rd thread post #12. I wrote 'AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?' My guess would be that Zebra had been imported but unchecked.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, apophyss said:

Now i understand why thai drivers never stop for pedestrian on zebra sign...

Hahahaha yea .. The ones you see at shrines and spilit houses are for good luck supposedly .. But quite the opposite is likely to happen putting a foot on a zebra crossing in LOS .. 

Quote from a TVF post dated 25 December 2019:-

"I recently inherited a few items that I'd like to bring to my home in Thailand. Among others, I have a huge zebra skin (from the culling practices in Africa, not from hunting)"

Can a zebra skin "carry" the African Horse Virus??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes, I mentioned this on the April 3rd thread post #12. I wrote 'AHS is native in Zebra which carry the virus but don't appear to suffer. According to what I read a couple of years ago non-native horses in Africa had a very high mortality rate and was not controlled until a vaccine was produced last century. So my question would be...were any Thai horses in close proximity to a Zebra, perhaps one recently introduced to a Thai Zoo?' My guess would be that Zebra had been imported but unchecked.

You got it. Some poor import protocols or a little oversight ....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You could try putting it on sleeping horse.

Oh pack it in .. It's a hobby .. bit of horseplay is one thing but you cart it too far .. you radish flogging a dead horse long after the stable door is shut .. 

12 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Oh pack it in .. It's a hobby .. bit of horseplay is one thing but you cart it too far .. you radish flogging a dead horse long after the stable door is shut .. 

Just why do they call that horse The Blacksmith?

Well if you kick it in the backside, he makes a bolt for the door.