Thinking about buying this used car Mercedes Benz C200

NCC1701A

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/mercedes-benz-c200-cgi-elegance-bangkok-metropolitan-kanchanaphisek/6411267

758,000 Baht. It is 8 years old. I will only use it to go shopping. I am thinking that I might rent a condo in Bangkok after the lock down is over. 

any Mercedes owners here? what is service like on this car?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

A friend of mine had a Merc a few years back...20k a tyre they wanted..80k to reboot a car...of course If you don't use much, servicing should be minimal...luxury always comes at a cost

It's not series 5, see a good 200 merchants about and in Cockpit for servicing, no problem. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, baansgr said:

A friend of mine had a Merc a few years back...20k a tyre they wanted..80k to reboot a car...of course If you don't use much, servicing should be minimal...luxury always comes at a cost

Did he just walk next door and get them at ~6k a tire, I have a Merc, 24k for a set of tires six months ago!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Why would anyone want a car in Bangkok? Also, second hand car prices for Mercs and BMWs seem extortionate. Just think what you could do with B750,000 in Nana Plaza???

After the Covid-19 wipe-out, probably only a short time.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have to start to face reality. all things being equal a pimped out ride beats a scooter. 

i have to make every trip to villa market count from here on out.   

and don't forget i am from los angeles. 

Just put a thousand bhat on your forehead and say I am a handsome man, you will not be able to beat them off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

So you will sit in traffic jam all day in this thing?

Better buy a condo close to villa market and the skytrain/bts. A car in BKK is useless.

I used to think that.

Than I married into a woman with a car ????

Now I can't be arsed to go to big C 200m from my condo if my wife doesn't drive me there.

And lets not forget BTS and covid. From your previous posts you seem to be extremely paranoid about covid, so a man who is 100 years old like yourself has a lot to be concerned about.

And sure.... 20,000 baht salary a month is not enough these days. You are expected to drive a nice car too. Just imagine her joy when you park at Samyan Mitrtown where she will be snapping her photos from parking all the way to PAUL. Instagram uploads are sometimes more important than rice. 

Oh, I recommend Ashton condo. Even it it is 30sqm, nobody has to know. It's all about facilities baby!

Bonne chance

Save your money pal

Take it from someone who has lived and worked in BKK for 15 years....

The last thing you need there  is a car of any description!

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Mercedes are a great car - except for the front wheel drive B series.

I have owned several of them in the last 15 years (including a B200) and they are best mass production cars.

But in Thailand they are massively over priced. A similar Merc in Australia is AUD$13K - AUD$15K.

At today's exchange raten (20) that is about 260K Baht to 300K Baht.

Even at high exhange rate in last decade (30)  that is about 390K Baht to 450K Baht.

I have a 2008 CLK Merc that was $120+K when new and I bought it for $12K - best car ever owned/driven.

Great cars - plenty of service/parts in Thailand (it is the to go to car for wealthy) - heaps of them.

But the price concerns me, in terms of what I would pay for the same car in Australia.

And that is because if you buy one and it has problems - they can be very expensive to get fixed. 

If it is in good condition (know a mechanic) then it is still a bargain compared to same priced alternatives (Honda/Toyota).

Whatever you do dont buy a 'boutique' car - one that there is not many of them (Volvo) unless new - parts/service problems.

Get a mechanic to check it out - if Ok then offer 500K? see what happens? 

Not many buyers in the luxury market right now - but we all know Thais have 'face issues'.

• Like 2

ok so 750k baht divided by short time minus 1 add 7 = are you out of your mind.

get a camry and use the rest to indulge on a month long trail of short time destruction. you'll still have a decent car and your nuts will feel like that 8 year old merc. 

• Haha 1

any Mercedes owners here? what is service like on this car?

I drove Mercedes ML until 2019, when I left the Caribbean, and I also bought a used one.

Service was not worse than with the VW Touareg, in terms of price, of course some things can always break down with a used car.

The CGI Blue efficiency is a smart choice because its consumption is exceptionally low for such a luxury car. And the C class does take its cue from the S Class. 1.8 Litre is a bit on the weak side for my liking but still plenty of power for Thailand where 80 and 100 kmh are as good as it gets really.

The W204 is the third generation and has undergone many improvements to the predecessors, only the years 2008 to 2009 are to be avoided due to greater break down statistics, 2012 is fine.

Electronics were a weakness from 2007 to 2009, but that was fixed with software.

The ignition is the particular weakness of this car, this weakness continued until 2013.

Service costs for the 1.8 CGI are around 460 Euro. Make sure you check the transmission, it would cost 900 Euro to fix it.

The CGI Blue efficiency costs around 180 Euro a month for petrol, an average of 84 per month for wheels, and a total of 337 Euro per month on average, including everything, insurance etc.

Mercedes is, next to Porsche, the best car on the planet, and you really feel it when you drive one.

This is one exceptionally fine automobile at a good price. I like the Elegance version best as well.