Hypothetical Question: If you have to leave Thailand now, what are the exits?

Hypothetical.  Because I supposedly have an automatic visa extension to 7-31-2020.  I was planning to go to BI, Jomtien office next week and apply for an extension.

But, I asked myself, what if BI said, no.

Then what would I do?

1.  Make a run for the border?  Which country?

2.  Apply for a one-year visa?  For an Elite visa?

3.  Go to one of those supposed visa experts who advertise? Hope is they know someone at BI?   

4.  Overstay?  Stay up to ? days, before being placed on the one-year ban list.

5.  Go into hiding, with a trusted Thai girl friend, like some American GIs did on Okinawa during the Vietnam War?

6.  Do what an American did last summer?  Float a houseboat in the Andaman Sea ten miles off of Phuket.  It did not work for him, because the Thai Navy destroyed his houseboat, claiming it impeded international navigation, even though it was outside of Thai waters.

The last suggestions are mere dreaming.  But, I was wondering what are the realistic possibilities?  In terms of the pandemic, the risk of getting CoVid-19 is less in Thailand than USA, all other southeast Asia countries (except Vietnam?), and airports, especially their security checkpoints.  I don't want to get sick and do not want to die.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Dont put any trust in the thai govts figures.

vietnam is opening. Hawaii seems to have done ok last time i checked. Just be aware that no matter where you go you will probably be stuck in quarantine for 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sujo said:

vietnam is opening. Hawaii seems to have done ok last time i checked. Just be aware that no matter where you go you will probably be stuck in quarantine for 2 weeks.

Vietnam lifted its 3 week social distancing policy 2 days ago, but it's not opening internationally, and I assume it won't be doing it any time soon. Unless you are a diplomat or an expert you won't get in at all, with or without quarantine. I am in Vietnam right now, and from what I have been hearing and reading they are probably much too worried about a second wave, having just managed to contain the first one, to open the country to foreigners. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:07 PM, Sujo said:

Yes, Vietnam's borders are opening but only for Vietnamese citizens and a few foreigners who have expertise that can benefit Vietnam's fight against the pandemic. They are all immediately put into 14 days quarantine upon arrival.

???? Keep safe everyone

13 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

I've fallen behind on the ThaiVisa acronyms, "BI" in Jomtien would be 

I think it is meant to mean Bureau Immigration but the correct name is the Immigration Bureau or IB.

• Like 1

If you have to leave Thailand, it is right now by air to your home country, possibly with a transit, who will have to let you in as an own citizen, quarantine or not. Special rules for Europe's Schengen area, by country.

Other than that, I don't know who would let you in, or even board in Thailand; Japan, Singapore, Australia... that is totally unfathomable right at the moment, a couple of things might change 1st of Mai, more likely 1st of June. IF they do to that extend.

I listed only "first world countries" within close or middle distance, as they have reliable border procedures (I did not say "easy to navigate" or "easy to find out about", when everything is in the flow) I would strongly recommend, not trying any "emerging market" countries in the vicinity, as they don't handle things any more reliable than Thailand. And this whole forum is full of posts where something went wrong with whatever kind of visa or the extension of it. I read about one chap who had a completely valid visa for Malaysia, succesfully got on a plane with Lion Air (a budget airline) from Bangkok, got refused by Malaysia, equally got refused to enter Thailand when put on the next plane back, and then that spelt days of detention and trouble until someone decided to solve it in Thailand, Lion Air were apparently out of their depth handling things.

If you were to leave to the surrounding countries, do it by land border, if they let you. The Thais will refuse to let you leave if they suspect you will not be allowed in, if that still happens they will cancel their exit stamp and/or give you a 7-days-to-leave the-country stamp, or something. Still better than being stuck in an international airport's detention zone.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

Crossing over to nearby countries (for farangs) is at least 2 months away imo

They will open up for their own citizens first....foreigners, much later

I concur. And will open to people from their neighbouring countries with a border pass.

"Who" will open up first is totally open, maybe Cambo with its Angkor Wat business and nothing much to loose, the Chinese having gone.

I only know, I am perfectly OK in Thailand with my Non-Imm O valid till June 17th, and, as things stand, on amnesty until 31.07.; preferably someone opens (along with Thailand), and I can do an ordinary visa run and stick around until September to then see what's the name of the game by then. Otherwise, I'll do what I always do, stay abreast of the news, regulations, and laws, then wing it somehow, an interim 4-week stay in Germany always being an option.

Please wait for the tea leaves to settle, so I can read them.

1 hour ago, samjaidee said:

Yes, Vietnam's borders are opening but only for Vietnamese citizens and a few foreigners who have expertise that can benefit Vietnam's fight against the pandemic. They are all immediately put into 14 days quarantine upon arrival.

???? Keep safe everyone

What has Vietnam got to do with the OP's rambling about leaving Thailand? He just need a ticket out of the country, which isn't that easy at the moment,but doable. 

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What has Vietnam got to do with the OP's rambling about leaving Thailand? He just need a ticket out of the country, which isn't that easy at the moment,but doable. 

You are correct, but I surmise the question is not "how do I get out of Thailand?", but rather "what do I do when that amnesty runs out by 31.07., wanting to stay in Thailand after that point in time?" with everything linked to that, such as visa and border-runs.

Which is precisely what I personally should very much like to know, but the tea leaves are still in the process of settling...

I think this is a case of having to trust the Thais now doing what others are with foreigners. France started with 3 months amnesty. It has just extended that again to a total of 6 months.

I wonder whether the Thais will have the sense to look at foreigners getting home situations and restrictions on getting to/ in to their home countries and travel restrictions there or indeed neighbouring countries so as to get a visa renewal? It's all very well saying look there are flights out / some land borders are open so go or face the consequences of staying/ overstaying. And to do a successful border run could involve hard to comply with requirements both at your destination country and for reentry to Thailand for some time.

There is no real choice but to sit it out as long as amnesties permit.. We are hoping that some resorts may be allowed to reopen and travel to them soon so we can get a break from our home and wife's family!!! That's the wife saying this not me!!! I do concur though!

And yes it is is possible to exit to your home country in some cases. Mine is France...and I can take my Thai wife as she has a current visa, but the French Embassy tell me it has to be by direct flight....there are none at the moment. Even under normal circumstances I think only Thai Airways did daily direct flights. AirFrance did but seasonally. If we could actually get to France there are no trains bookable before July and home is a 3 hour train ride away. Cost of a taxi would be prohibitive.

The lockdown there has been extreme and easing is going to be slow and cautious. Life is better for us here!

And if we were to leave, when could we return and on what terms? Could we comply? We both want to get to France but now is not the time.

• Like 1