Tablets / Ipads...I don't get them?

Kenny202

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you have a stand for it, or a case with a built-in stand? they do make a lot of difference.

I tend to use mine in bed to watch the cricket whilst Madam is watching TV, tablet propped up on the bed (case with stand). Me, cans on, laid on my side. I'm comfortable like that but it's not for everyone.

I do have a case that doubles as a stand which kept falling down. Put a little strip on the back of it now which keeps it in place...but even with a stand it is no good on your lap, too low down. In bed yeah I guess you could prop it up on the bed and watch it side on if a movie etc, but if you are surfing the net or doing stuff like that hard to type. Easier for me to have a phone in one hand, easy to type, easy to hold etc. I am going to buy one of those small lap desks....sit on your lap and the one I ordered you can tilt up to get an angle so no need for the stand. If I don't end up keeping the tablet will use for my laptop.

By the sounds of it these things are good for their purpose, which as far as I can see is a mini TV screen ????

11 minutes ago, jadee said:

Hi, the main appeal of tablets is entertainment/gaming/social media/ and easy video conferencing. Most tablets - especially Huawei's running Android - aren't designed for serious work. 

I don't own a tablet and prefer using a slim laptop running Windows for all the reasons you said (better for work and productivity, easier to type, almost as light as a tablet).

A middle-ground solution that's become quite popular are hybrid tablet/laptops with detachable keyboards so they can be both. 

But as you're was a gift and you just want to get the most out of it, here's my two cents: 

1) if you want to watch it in bed but don't want to hold it, buy a 'bed bracket stand' - under 200 baht from Lazada. 
2) If it's difficult to type on, buy a case with built-in bluetooth keyboard, - a generic one costs around 700 baht from Lazada, 

I got a macbook pro now which I have had and loved for many years and still going strong. Just a little bit bulkier than a Macbook air I used to have which these days not needing too much grunt would probably be perfect for me. I don't know why but I did tend to use my Macbook air more portably than my pro which I tend to leave in one place all the time. The Mac Air so easy to pick up and move around will be my next computer choice for sure, when my poor old Macbook finally dies lol....2009 and still going strong lol

I hold the tablet with both hands like holding a book and use my thumbs to scroll down the page or typing on the on-screen keyboard. I read a lot of paper books in this position so found no difficulty when I switch to reading e-books on the tablet.

getty_531307482_241811.jpg

Edited by sanmyintmaung

yea, i don't them either.  wanted to buy one forever, never convinced myself.

1.  books, kindle

2.  games, real laptop (I'm not building a desktop in Thailand)

3.  can get a high quality screen for cheap, bigger than an ipad

4.  tablets can get hot

5.  no keyboard built-in, so extra money

6.  can't really do anything but basic stuff

7.  maybe they crack easier

bottom line:  get a year-old laptop, like 14 inches, good resolution, and it will probably be better.   lenovo, asus, something like that.  

but if my grandfather was alive, i would have him try a tablet first

actually, i wouldn't.  just get him a bigger phone.  

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

How would you do a Google search or type an email if they didn't have a built-in keyboard?

Its touch screen same as your phone. When you go to a field or type a message on screen keyboard pops up

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Its touch screen same as your phone. When you go to a field or type a message on screen keyboard pops up

I'm quite aware of that, I was responding to Ventenio who said there was no keyboard.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, jadee said:

Hi, the main appeal of tablets is entertainment/gaming/social media/ and easy video conferencing. Most tablets - especially Huawei's running Android - aren't designed for serious work. 

I don't own a tablet and prefer using a slim laptop running Windows for all the reasons you said (better for work and productivity, easier to type, almost as light as a tablet).

A middle-ground solution that's become quite popular are hybrid tablet/laptops with detachable keyboards so they can be both. 

But as you're was a gift and you just want to get the most out of it, here's my two cents: 

1) if you want to watch it in bed but don't want to hold it, buy a 'bed bracket stand' - under 200 baht from Lazada. 
2) If it's difficult to type on, buy a case with built-in bluetooth keyboard, - a generic one costs around 700 baht from Lazada, 

I agree with jadeed.. with a lot of these Android  and Windows based tablets, it is often possible to attach an OTG (on the go cable) with a usb hub. To this you can connect a full size keyboard  a mouse and extra storage . Using a stand  to support the screen you can then have a basic computer  and worked very well for me on many occasions. Charging the battery at the same time was really the only limitation I could not work successfully. Tablets are great ! 

My Nexus 7 has been wonderful.. as was my ho surface 7 until I upgraded to Windows 10  from 8 .. iPad I gave to my wife .. I am not an apple man .. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Am I missing something here?

Yours was a gift so you are excused, but what you missed was that companies make gadgets which nobody really needs and then tries to convince the public they are essential.  Tablets are one such gadget.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

yea, i don't them either.  wanted to buy one forever, never convinced myself.

1.  books, kindle

2.  games, real laptop (I'm not building a desktop in Thailand)

3.  can get a high quality screen for cheap, bigger than an ipad

4.  tablets can get hot

5.  no keyboard built-in, so extra money

6.  can't really do anything but basic stuff

7.  maybe they crack easier

bottom line:  get a year-old laptop, like 14 inches, good resolution, and it will probably be better.   lenovo, asus, something like that.  

but if my grandfather was alive, i would have him try a tablet first

actually, i wouldn't.  just get him a bigger phone.  

I found that a cheap Mac Air 12 inch screen is the best. I bought one over 5 years ago and it works perfectly, can rest anywhere feels about the same weight as any large tablet.

• Like 1

Have had a Android tablet for over 8 years, basically 1st generation with almost no memory, 2 sims, camera, used for GPS driving as well as a additional mobile - MINI HDMI to TV.  Same with Android TV Box, basically 1st generation, low memory, mine has camera built in.  Both still working.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I do have a case that doubles as a stand which kept falling down. Put a little strip on the back of it now which keeps it in place...but even with a stand it is no good on your lap, too low down. In bed yeah I guess you could prop it up on the bed and watch it side on if a movie etc, but if you are surfing the net or doing stuff like that hard to type. Easier for me to have a phone in one hand, easy to type, easy to hold etc. I am going to buy one of those small lap desks....sit on your lap and the one I ordered you can tilt up to get an angle so no need for the stand. If I don't end up keeping the tablet will use for my laptop.

By the sounds of it these things are good for their purpose, which as far as I can see is a mini TV screen ????

There's a light weight foam 'pillow' shaped as a stand that you can buy on some e.commerce sites, can be used on a table or desk or on your stomach.

image.png.96cdb1622f863b08645fca70d463e02d.png

Snipped from E.bay Australia.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, adammike said:

I wouldn't be without one. I don't need a laptop or PC for work I'm retired,I am not into gaming.Its an e-reader loaded with dozens of books,it's a mucic centre I have a Chromecast plugged into my amp and Spotify is on most of the day,it connects automatically to my smart TV so I can watch utube etc,I have subscriptions to the Guardian and Independent so i get my news fix, and talk to my family in the UK via messenger for free.I never read in bed but if you must you need to sit up just like I am now in my easy chair with my €300 Huawei android tablet on my thigh.Its a perfect bit of kit for me.I see top spec laptops, apple pro tablets and their screens makes mine look prehistoric they are fabulous but they start at over €1k for the very basic ones though when you get up to and over €2k they do bring out the geek in me.

Subscription to The Guardian?  Throw that hunk of junk in the trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

Looks like you don’t know how to use a tablet to it’s full potential, I have an iPad Pro and use it for everything from airline/hotel bookings to investing in the stock markets, it does everything my laptop does including using apps like office etc and not as encumbersom as carrying a laptop around.

I agree, though I have had numerous MacBook Pro’s, I still have 1, I switched to an iPad Air 2 for work in 2014 as I had to commute for about 16 hours a week on trains and busses. 
It was able to do anything I needed from attendance tracking to holding lectures and everything between. I sill used Mac’s at home but for mobile use I didn’t  need them.

it is about time to get an iPad Pro as it’s getting a bit long in the tooth, though with the strong possibility of a refresh in autumn I can hold off to then.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's a light weight foam 'pillow' shaped as a stand that you can buy on some e.commerce sites, can be used on a table or desk or on your stomach.

image.png.96cdb1622f863b08645fca70d463e02d.png

Above snipped from E.bay Australia.

image.png.e79b8081747b7d05faf257aa1d7ef41d.png

Above snipped from Alibaba website, shipped from China.

Am I missing something here? Be interested to know how people use them in bed or watching TV etc

Yes! You are missing something. 

I own a Samsung Tab S4 and I use it as a TV media centre. If you have one of the latest smart TVs with wifi connecting a tablet to the TV is very fast. Since I have Netflix, German TV channel media centres, BBCiplayer, cinema apps and series apps installed I basically stream UK or German TV or Netflix movies right on to the tv from the tablet. No need for apple tv or any of that.

Secondly whilst I also have a Kindle Paperwhite, which is lighter to use, it only lets you read black and white. That's where the tablet comes in. If you download magazines you are much better off reading colour content on an Amoled screen tablet. A great app for that is Moon Pro, paid version, perfect for reading books, PDFs and all Epubs.

The tablet is of course also great to read the daily newspaper with online.

Can't imagine living without the Tab S4.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a love/hate relationship with my 12.9 inch ipad Pro. Love it for reading books, as my close vision’s not what it used to be, and perfect for browsing the internet. Hate that its toy operating system makes simple file transfers from my PC very complicated.