Plastify copy of my passaport and visa

3 minutes ago, watthong said:

It depends on the individual who wants to look at it. A decade or so ago, I was travelling on long-distance bus around Thailand. One place we arrived before dawn. There was one policeman who wanted to see my passport. I showed him my plastified copy. No, no he wanted to see the real thing. Remember this is not the country where your passport comes from, so they have their "preferred" way of looking at your document. Best is prepare for the worst ie play safe.

With banks all mine all branches want the real thing, always.

If I am traveling away from my home for more than 1 day I take my 

passport with me.

been asked once for my passport in all the many years ive been here, it was at nong khai train station, loads of plain clothes officers walking round, tried to tell me my visa was expired aswell, even though I had just come from Vientiane with a new visa and stamps. lol.

they even took pictures of all the foriegners that were at the train station.

maybe they were after some tea money.

• Like 1

Only once around 10 years ago was I stopped in Thailand and asked for my original passport from the police.

This was on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok just as I left Robinsons and walking back to Nana.

There was a police stop on the pavement. I have never been asked since, and have only used the original for immigration, and for banking.

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

My BBL bank branch accepts my pink ID card for withdrawing money.

If I go to my regular Bangkok Bank branches they will accept my original driving licence.

But once I went to a Bangkok Bank branch that I have never gone before, they demanded to see my original passport even though I showed her my driving licence.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Can you quote the section of the immigration act, police order etc ?

These threads about carrying a passport etc come up every couple of months and people say its the law etc but nobody can ever point to the reference in the law, act, police order etc.

Just once I would like to see where it is written.

Seven or 8 years ago, it was announced that "Approved" copies of Passport data pages and visa pages would be acceptable in lieu of carrying around a passport .  AFAIK, it was never determined what constituted "Officially approved".

The US embassy will, for $25 additional issue a plastic ID card version of your passport main page with a new PP, however it is not an exact copy: the all important PP number is NOT the same for some reason.  I've never had any Thai bank or airline accept it as ID.

Edited by dddave

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Can I ask where you live, where are police asking for a passport at traffic stops ? I have never heard of a passport being asked for at a traffic stop, most people would be concerned if that is starting to happen.

im living both in Khon Kaen and Bangkok

I always carry color photo of my passport ID page and any relevant visa stamps wrapped up tight in saran wrap.  Since 2004 never had to produce it. But I have heard and read some reports  lately they have been requiring the actual passport in some  some places, such as Pattaya for example where they have checkpoints between sections of the city

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Can you quote the section of the immigration act, police order etc ?

These threads about carrying a passport etc come up every couple of months and people say its the law etc but nobody can ever point to the reference in the law, act, police order etc.

Apparently, after the May 2014 coup, Thai Visa asked this question directly to immigration in Oct 2014: 

Thaivisa.com, a popular portal for expats and travellers, put the question directly to Pol Col Thanasak Vongluekiat, superintendent of the Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi Immigration office in Hua Hin.

He said that by law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. A photocopy, stamped or not, or a driver's licence is not an acceptable substitute.

"The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country," Thaivisa quoted Pol Col Thanasak as saying.

Could Thai Visa confirm this interview took place and were they given/shown the actual section of the Immigration act that confirms the law or just told verbally please.

There have been several threads over the years where various Immigration Officials have publicly said that carrying a passport is not always practical, especially for expats staying in Thailand permanently, and have suggested (at the Officers discretion) an alternative option is carrying a copy of a passport or a pink ID card would be acceptable, but none of those interviews that I have seen have quoted the actual act, although none have have said its not a legal requirement either.

It is a legal requirement for Thai Nationals to carry their ID cards at all times so I would be surprised if foreigners were totally excluded from that requirement.  

On 4/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, dddave said:

Seven or 8 years ago, it was announced that "Approved" copies of Passport data pages and visa pages would be acceptable in lieu of carrying around a passport .  AFAIK, it was never determined what constituted "Officially approved".

The US embassy will, for $25 additional issue a plastic ID card version of your passport main page with a new PP, however it is not an exact copy: the all important PP number is NOT the same for some reason.  I've never had any Thai bank or airline accept it as ID.

That is nonsense and Rubbish. The passport card(I have one) is only valid for cruise ships and land border crossings to the US and the number is not the same as your passport number. I have cheekily proffered it several times in Thailand to board domestic flights or check in to hotels and was usually denied.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, EricTh said:

If I go to my regular Bangkok Bank branches they will accept my original driving licence.

But once I went to a Bangkok Bank branch that I have never gone before, they demanded to see my original passport even though I showed her my driving licence.

nothing is simple in Thailand IS IT??

The driving licence contains passport number and address !!!

I thought Pattaya Plod had said a phone photo of PP & visa page was OK?  Mind you they also said a bandit stop had to have a senior officer present.  I got done by a lone Somchai going in to Jomtien a couple of months back.

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

It doesn't if you use your yellow book and pink ID card for proof of residence and ID when renewing your driving licence. Your driving licence then shows your Thai ID Number and NOT your passport number.

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

True but somebody just don't understand and refused to accept it.