Foreigners caught on Pattaya beach face year in jail or heavy fines, says police chief

rooster59

What do they do if you can’t afford the fine? Or refuse to pay it?

Im guessing some people don’t have that kind of money or ... they wanna be clever and refuse to pay 

Let’s say your British and they stick you in the can.. do they British embassy not get involved or actually do anything to help you or you just have to serve your time? Presuming you have no money to pay the fine, no deporting? I’ve read you can be deported at your own expense but what if you can’t even afford that? Lmao 

I have no intention of going to Pattaya let alone Pattaya beach I’m just curious

Edited by Jackcwba
X

Just end this nonsense already. Even Danang just started allowing people onto the beach again 2 days ago, none of them wearing masks anymore. The country is still on partial lock down, but at least they've started easing some restrictions. No reason Thailand can't follow suit.

6 hours ago, petermik said:

"beautiful environmental place"....I,ve heard Pattaya (my home btw) described in many different ways but this is a first :clap2:

Yes indeed but I did think "oh really". I thought Pattaya was the World's sex and debauchery capital!

Remember many if us see the Police from our own countries as ' public servants for the people " Thailand is an example where those who join police see it is an opportunity to exhibit any ' control' tendencies ! I'm.sure the army PM would back them in this feeling 

Perhaps some posters here haven't noticed yet, but the law can be "different" if you are a foreigner.

I hear and see Thais breaking the rules where i am, but, as a foreigner i would not dare to do the same.

23 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

Im guessing some people don’t have that kind of money or ... they wanna be clever and refuse to pay 

Let’s say your British and they stick you in the can.. do they British embassy not get involved or actually do anything to help you or you just have to serve your time? Presuming you have no money to pay the fine, no deporting? I’ve read you can be deported at your own expense but what if you can’t even afford that? Lmao 

I have no intention of going to Pattaya let alone Pattaya beach I’m just curious

Generally speaking, if you can't pay a fine you go to jail and they credit you 500 baht for each day in the slammer. So if you have a 20,000 baht fine you'd only have to spend 40 days in jail and then get blacklisted and deported.
The Embassy won't do squat for you. You get yourself in **** and they'll provide a list of lawyers and maybe help you contact relatives back home as well as making the occasional visit to make sure you are "OK".
They have no obligation to try and get you released and at best they may help you arrange a ticket home (at your expense). If they have to pay for some reason, you have to repay them after you get home. 

Thailand doesn't take <deleted> excuses like "oh I came from a broken home so you should go easy on me" or other kinds of BS like people get away with "back home". They'll literally drag you out of the home you paid for, throw you in jail, take you to court to be sentenced and blacklisted,,, then back to jail until you've served your sentence or are deported.

No bail. No appeal. No chance to settle your affairs. Maybe not even a chance to pack a bag and lock the door to your home.

A lot of people like to whine about "their rights" but they forget, they are not in their home country and Thailand doesn't give 2 sh**s what your "rights" are back home. A lot of people also seem to think that they should be able to do the same things they could get away with "back home" and then cry when they get arrested and thrown into jail for things that wouldn't even get "a slap on the wrist back home".

And that's when they have a "democratically elected" government that isn't dominated by the same military people that overthrew the previous government !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, actonion said:

Why "can't" you congregate at the beach, but you "can" at any Street Market in East Pattaya which is far more busy than the beach? especially  the market in Soi Siam Country Club

Because nobody is going to drive down from Bangkok to congregate at a market.  If they opened the beaches, there would be throngs of outsiders getting away to the beach.

Here in Texas, they closed the beaches for the same reason.  To keep the city people in the city.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

They do if they're too lazy or too busy. Home made gai pad mit mamuang tonight, lunch from the market. Also had to go to the market for some of the ingredients for tonight's meal. Problem?

No problem at all, I realize one has to go to the market or supermarkets to buy

stuff you need for cooking in all the years I have lived in Thailand I have never

bought ready meals from the market I always cooked at home, and yes I was

married and busy some times.

• Like 1

I don't get it maybe it's because people on the beaches don't wear masks and the wind can blow droplets? California is having a heat wave and they won't let people on the beach either.

Many Southern California beaches remain closed as heat wave hits

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/many-southern-california-beaches-remain-closed-as-heat-wave-hits/ar-BB13aomE?li=BBnb7Kz

3 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

I got the amount to pay and could pay it time and time again. Big deal. Just as long as you are not convicted and put into prison then you can still stay here. But I would not do it. Put it that way. So just do everything on across the beach road street and enjoy the view from there. What they gonna do then? Somethings you need to enjoy and their rhetoric BS is sometimes and mostly always superfluous. 

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Foreigners caught on Pattaya beach face year in jail or heavy fines, says police chief

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thais and foreigners were among people arrested for violating the ban on congregating at the beach, in contravention of the Chonburi governor's order.

The "Chief" said that the Foreigners (Didn't mention Thais ) Face jail / Heavy Fines . Nice one Chief,Show your True colour .   :wai:

18 hours ago, actonion said:

Why "can't" you congregate at the beach, but you "can" at any Street Market in East Pattaya which is far more busy than the beach? especially  the market in Soi Siam Country Club

Pointing a finger at other risky behaviour far afield and crying 'what about them' is not productive. The rules brought in is all about Pattaya beach, the topic is about Pattaya beach, as far as I know the darkside does not have a beach. 

18 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thais are exempt

I am sorry but you are incorrect mate. One of my Thai friends was threatened with a 100,000 Baht fine but was told by police they will accept the 30,000 Baht payoff or she is going to jail????????‍♂️????????????

19 hours ago, smedly said:

people generally have no problem following rules if they make sense 

e.g.

Chonburi Governor has ordered that all people out during the day must walk using one leg only or face one year in jail

"people generally have no problem following rules if they make sense". What about the mad drivers on Thai Roads?? 

16 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

True, got stopped on my bike recently and was asked for 2000 baht - noisy exhaust, normally they ask for 500, so I was shocked.

So I started whimpering, crying, and opened my wallet to show how little I had, pleaded with them to let a stupid farang off with a little fine, all in my perfect English.

Ended up coughing up 500 baht.

Bastids

The police should automatically put motorbikes with noisy exhausts off the road, but it is nice to see them doing their job here even if it is adding to their tea money funds.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

lack of enforcement 

there's no lack of enforcement when it comes to arresting people on the beach

Where will the BiB get the most tea money, on Beach Road or setting up check points on any busy road you care to mention?