Suvarnabhumi ready for normal operations from May 1

Jonathan Fairfield

We haven't seen anything yet of the economic and financial crisis that is coming !

Opening an Airport means nothing when travel is still restricted to a maximum ! [and will be for quite some time]

... if the Big Guys have their way then it will stay this way until they have a Vaccine !

Edited by brain150

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

After FOUR pages, I've only spotted one post that seems to have the ability to understand.  DOMESTIC flights are starting on May 1st.  The ban on international flights remains in place at least until mid May.

So if what you say is true then please explain to me how Normal Operations, as in the OP title "Suvarnabhumi-ready-for-normal-operations-from-may-1" are only domestic flights.  Normal operations would be all aspects of the airports operations, including all flights.  Or am I missing something.  The OP is being optimistic in my views and was written prior to CAAT announcing the possibility of another 15 day ban on incoming flights, but a final say will be "given by the Public Health Ministry," CAAT chief Chula Sukmanop said on Monday.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So if what you say is true then please explain to me how Normal Operations, as in the OP title "Suvarnabhumi-ready-for-normal-operations-from-may-1" are only domestic flights.  Normal operations would be all aspects of the airports operations, including all flights.  Or am I missing something.  The OP is being optimistic in my views and was written prior to CAAT announcing the possibility of another 15 day ban on incoming flights, but a final say will be "given by the Public Health Ministry," CAAT chief Chula Sukmanop said on Monday.

You are missing something ????

Airport ready.  This is what they have said. 

Airlines not flying, either because they cannot or do not wish to; passengers not taking flights either because there are none or they do not wish to - completely outwith the control of the airport.

The opposite is not true...airlines cannot fly passengers to or from an airport that is not ready.

PH

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

You are missing something ????

Airport ready.  This is what they have said. 

Airlines not flying, either because they cannot or do not wish to; passengers not taking flights either because there are none or they do not wish to - completely outwith the control of the airport.

The opposite is not true...airlines cannot fly passengers to or from an airport that is not ready.

PH

You are absolutely right I missed this:

Sutheerawat Suwannawat, director of the airport, said that they would be able to support "all flights" as before but some adjustments would be required corresponding to preventive measures for Covid-19.

How is that, does that make it clearer?

Thank you so much for your assistance

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are absolutely right I missed this:

Sutheerawat Suwannawat, director of the airport, said that they would be able to support "all flights" as before but some adjustments would be required corresponding to preventive measures for Covid-19.

How is that, does that make it clearer?

Thank you so much for your assistance

I don't understand. Can someone please explain?

• Haha 1

Just to back up Phulublub.  The report does say that the airport will be 'ready' for normal ops on May 1st.  There is nowhere in the report that says 'normal ops will start on May 1st.'

There is plenty of info regarding what flights will be allowed and what flights will not.

May 1st is when restrictions will be lifted for DOMESTIC flights.  Except for repatriation, in the main, international passenger flights remain banned.

All well & good, but gov't not opened or advised will open borders by May 01, no idea if lockdown will be removed by then, what airlines will ready to resume flights by then, there's a backlog of Cargo to be shifted both in & out, etc!! Think they've put ...cart before the horse"!!!

17 hours ago, NE1 said:

Will they have to quarantine everybody on entry ?

If you can have the virus in your body without it showing for 6 days , then quarantine is a must for everybody.

Or am I wrong ( again )

You better get a health certificate before you come in, and - if available - a vaccination. Hopefully a vaccination against flu also. We don't want a whole soi closed down because someone spread the flu. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Just to back up Phulublub.  The report does say that the airport will be 'ready' for normal ops on May 1st.  There is nowhere in the report that says 'normal ops will start on May 1st.'

There is plenty of info regarding what flights will be allowed and what flights will not.

May 1st is when restrictions will be lifted for DOMESTIC flights.  Except for repatriation, in the main, international passenger flights remain banned.

Yes. There is a huge difference in 'airport open for business' and 'all international flights will resume as normal'.  The airport can be open 6 months and no flights arrive.  "But we have done our part......"

It reads kinda like that permanent residency story that ran week or so ago.  Sounded all new and flashy, until you realize there is no change to a program that has existed for decades. 

11 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

Yes. There is a huge difference in 'airport open for business' and 'all international flights will resume as normal'.  The airport can be open 6 months and no flights arrive.  "But we have done our part......"

It reads kinda like that permanent residency story that ran week or so ago.  Sounded all new and flashy, until you realize there is no change to a program that has existed for decades. 

The title of this thread is not

"Airlines and Customers Furiou that Suvarnabhumi not ready to resume operations"

If it were (and were true) then you might have a point.

PH

18 hours ago, aussienam said:

At least it will help those of us who are expats trying to get back to Thailand, some hope of getting home sooner.  Lots of us stranded outside.

I agree with you.  Are they still asking for covid-19 insurance with $100 k coverage and medical certificate for covid-19 testing negative?  I don't know if this applies to foreigners with retirement visa/ non immigrant o.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh dear! That´s what I call really hard. Living without that must have been terrible. Here we have people losing their jobs and income, that need economic relief packages. Then we have the ones that "need" their Michelin meals.

Can't you see it was just a joke? One Michelin meal in Bangkok doesn't cost much unlike USA or Europe.

Ready to resume business as normal “. Would say that’s good news for those wanting to leave and those returning home ! No mention of going into quarantine for 14 days ? Can’t see many tourists arriving as sanctions still in place in there own country,. Have Thailand found a Miracle cure overnight ? According to the British embassy in today’s memo flights are still suspended - with only Eva air operating 3 times a week ! 

NINE new cases, around 320 active across Thailand, mostly in BKK and the recommendation to the government is for 'full control' as it is now to be extended until May 31st, including the curfew and borders will remain closed.

It is said that some restrictions on opening businesses may be relaxed.  That will be announced after the cabinet meeting tomorrow.

The lock down extension for another month is what has been recommended to government.

Unbelievable!

Only two domestic Air Lines will restart May 1st but then they are waiting to decide on the routes each airline will resume depending on the lockdown exit strategies of each province, since some have closed their airports.  It is also a shock to my system to see that although right now airlines were not allowed to raise fares, they might be higher, but not more than the ceiling of 9.40 baht per kilometer, compared to 3-5 baht used by airlines now.  So lets see either double or triple the price flight prices is a possibility....

Edited by ThailandRyan

"Screening facilities for everyone who enters the airport is still necessary and personnel at Suvarnabhumi must wear face masks and increase the frequency of sanitisation." this may not be sufficient to pick our asymptomatic cases who could also prove damaging to the population at large.