Lockdown update

SidJames

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But I suspect it has more to do with no money to buy alcohol anymore rather than the ban itself.  

Of course, it should be that there is no alchohol to buy, but as I can personally confirm, as of two hours ago it was freely available locally to here, with queues akin to a free food handout. Must be well connected to do that. Same place when we had the coup 10PM curfew had huge queues throughout the night. Pattaya checkpoints less than a mile away too!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Do you (and everyone else who trots this out) ever stop to consider that maybe the restrictions that have been put in place are the reason, or contributing enormously to the fact that there are so few deaths here?

PH

Correct. Why people don't fail to understand this is beyond me.

They seem to think that Thailand and Pattaya in particular are in the viruses good books and it will give them a bye ball.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

China is huge...maybe all those coming in Dec and Jan were from otehr regions.  Entirely possible

We had one from Wuhan here in Hua Hin in January being treated in hospital for COVID, she recovered.

52 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Of course, it should be that there is no alchohol to buy, but as I can personally confirm, as of two hours ago it was freely available locally to here, with queues akin to a free food handout. Must be well connected to do that. Same place when we had the coup 10PM curfew had huge queues throughout the night. Pattaya checkpoints less than a mile away too!

Location please lol

2 hours ago, SidJames said:

Schools remain closed until July with a view to keep them closed longer nearer the date depending on how things are then.

What am I missing, the virus doesn't affect kids, yet schools are closed - why? Just part of the fearmongering or is there a genuine reason for it, hell if the kids can survive school transport and high speed motorcycle rides, sure they have no fear of a virus, or is there a pretence that they are being "protected" ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CGW said:

What am I missing, the virus doesn't affect kids, yet schools are closed - why? Just part of the fearmongering or is there a genuine reason for it, hell if the kids can survive school transport and high speed motorcycle rides, sure they have no fear of a virus, or is there a pretence that they are being "protected" ????

Presumably they spread it, despite being asymptomatic.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

China is huge...maybe all those coming in Dec and Jan were from otehr regions.  Entirely possible

I also do not blindly believe everything I am told.  Even from people I trust.  But I have not heard a peep about any Thai hospital being inundated with sick people - quite the reverse of many Western countries whose much better equipped facilities are close to being overwhelmed - which gives some sort of indication that Thailand has - somehow - so far escaped the worst of this virus.

PH

I read somewhere that 100,00 arrived in Thailand from Wuhan during the period, many on direct flights. Wuhan is the size of London; they travelled accross the globe but due to the proximity to SE Asia moreso to Thailand and other ASEAN countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Could be, maybe. My approach is to obey the law and live on the basis of being better safe than sorry.

I can't explain to myself how so many Chinese were here in December and January and yet nobody caught the virus till well after they had all gone home.

So many different theories around and it is hard to know what to believe. I haven't suddenly taken the view that everything we are told is the clear and unvarnished truth.

Stole my thunder I was going to say pretty much the same. 

But well said. 

59 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

I also do not blindly believe everything I am told.  Even from people I trust.  But I have not heard a peep about any Thai hospital being inundated with sick people - quite the reverse of many Western countries whose much better equipped facilities are close to being overwhelmed - which gives some sort of indication that Thailand has - somehow - so far escaped the worst of this virus.

PH

1) first para entirely unlikely. 

2) second para very good point. I do not know anybody who knows of anybody here (Thai or foreign) who has had the virus or the symptoms. And everybody seems very conscious of them. 

3 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Do you (and everyone else who trots this out) ever stop to consider that maybe the restrictions that have been put in place are the reason, or contributing enormously to the fact that there are so few deaths here?

PH

No, because look at other countries without enforced lockdowns. Japan, much larger population only has 360 deaths in total. I think there’s other reasons. The virus has been shown not to like sunlight, and humidity. Also recent studies are showing regions where the population is deficient in Vitamin D are getting more severe cases - and this includes Italy. Japanese get Vitamin D from a diet rich in fish. Thailand is obviously very sunny. 

Edited by TeaMonkey
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1