Regular Mail

junkofdavid2

Hi!

1) How long does it take to mail some documents (nothing expensive) in an envelope from Bangkok to the USA using regular mail?

2) How safe and reliable is it? (Is it common for it to get lost?)

3) Would you recommend another service instead?

*It doesn't contain anything "expensive" like a cheque or whatever, but it contains personal information about me (birthday, thai bank, stock brokerage account number).

Would it be "risky" to mail it?

I'm sending it to my US stockbroker.

Cheers!

Edited by junkofdavid2

I send insurance refund checks to my bank regularly and have not had any missing. Takes about 2 weeks to USA however. Use a local shop-house post office type service as closer than post office.

You can use registered mail or a courier service if contents can not be replaced (checks can be).

Hi!

1) How long does it take to mail some documents (nothing expensive) in an envelope from Bangkok to the USA using regular mail?

2) How safe and reliable is it? (Is it common for it to get lost?)

3) Would you recommend another service instead?

*It doesn't contain anything "expensive" like a cheque or whatever, but it contains personal information about me (birthday, thai bank, stock brokerage account number).

Cheers!

Regular service is terrible, up to 3 weeks, by air they say ! i have my doubts ,i send about 20 items a week and am qualified here ! ,the alternative is EMS but double the money,.

Edited by mikethevigoman

I send packages and envelopes all the time to the US by registered airmail and (knock on wood) have not had one gone missing in the 8 years I have been doing that. Time can vary from 7 days to 3 weeks, with something like 12 days a good average. I think the slow end of things is actually in the US, with some areas having faster service than others. EMS is good and quicker (4-5 days?) but starting cost is something like 800+ Baht, whereas the registered mail fee is 55 Baht.

It looks like your stock broker acct number is the main confidential info you will send.

Dont give you broker the full acct number. Just give him the last 3 or 4 digits and from your name and address he can figure the rest out.

Can I use EMS to send to a United States P.O. Box (no human recipient)?

Last time I sent EMS to someone (in Thailand), it couldn't be delivered because no one was home to sign the "received" form.

i think all ems parcels need a signature and a phone number,. call them