Living on Phratumnak

jakubec

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I'd never driven a motorbike until i came to thailand and if it's just pottering around in the city stuck in traffic it's unlikely you'll have a serious accident.

but to each their own.

Enjoy.

Have you been to Pattaya...? High likelihood of having an accident for novice riders. Serious is your definition perhaps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Have you been to Pattaya...? High likelihood of having an accident for novice riders. Serious is your definition perhaps.

yeah i lived there 8 years mate, thanks for asking, have you been?

you realise there are tourists ( or used to be ) that have never driven motorbikes before in their lives, these tourists  hire scooters every single day ( or used to  ) when they visit Pattaya for holidays, the % of them that have accidents is very very very very small.

it's really not that hard.

23 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

There now, I have lived here rather longer.

Had a motorcycle for all of them... 

Motorcycles account for 74% of vehicular accidents in Thailand, which is the second highest in the world. Thailand is actually highest just for motorcycles. You are ill-informed and now in my special place....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There now, I have lived here rather longer.

Had a motorcycle for all of them... 

Motorcycles account for 74% of vehicular accidents in Thailand, which is the second highest in the world. Thailand is actually highest just for motorcycles. You are ill-informed and now in my special place....

how many of your 74% are complete novice drivers?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

you realise there are tourists ( or used to be ) that have never driven motorbikes before in their lives, these tourists  hire scooters every single day ( or used to  ) when they visit Pattaya for holidays, the % of them that have accidents is very very very very small.

it's really not that hard.

I beg to differ.  One of my friends was very seriously injured by one of these tourists on a motorbike for the first time who had no idea what she was doing.  Lost control and ran him down, nearly killing him.  In the state where I used to live in the US, a motorcycle license is much more difficult to get than a regular drivers license, for good reason.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

how many of your 74% are complete novice drivers?

Umm.  Why in the world would that even matter?   I was run down and killed by a motorcycle but. unfortunately for me, it was a novice driving the motorcycle rather than someone better experienced.  Ding--still dead. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, newnative said:

Umm.  Why in the world would that even matter?   I was run down and killed by a motorcycle but. unfortunately for me, it was a novice driving the motorcycle rather than someone better experienced.  Ding--still dead. 

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Anyway, the discussion was about 'novice' motorbike drivers that's why it would matter.

I will not engage you any longer as this is about living in Prathumnak not driving motorbikes.

I would not choose Prathumnak for all the reasons listed above but Harry seems determined to live there and appears to know about the shortcomings, so maybe people with knowledge could try to answer his original questions about the particular condos.

I do however agree with the earlier suggestion of renting in his choice for a few months prior to purchasing. You learn so much more by actually living there.

Good luck in your search @HashBrownHarry

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Almost the entire population of Pattaya / Thailand manage on motorbikes, it's a way of life here, don't see what the problem is?

Try riding back at 1am after 10 beers past the Police check point at the bottom of Pratamnack Hill.

Once upon a time Pratumnak was the Beverly Hills of Pattaya, not any more.

The New Nordic group have dotted it with all those orange buildings (apartments) and they are Hotel letting them so lots of tourist buses, noise and fumes.

Also it takes so long to get anywhere when the traffic is around (not much traffic these days).

Theppraya Road gets bumper to bumper.

• Like 1

It’s not a bad area - traffic going down to Threppasit can be pretty awful. 
You must have a car - so make sure there is sufficient parking .

Who on earth goes on motorbike taxis ? Or even baht buses?

The water situation in Pratumnak is dire at the moment - it’s something to ask about. Reservoirs are empty- it’s a real problem- and may continue unless we get a mega rainy season. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Let me tell you then, many people don't want to get on a motorbike let alone a taxi bike, certainly not regularly, plus Pratamak has 100s of soi dogs that turn even more aggressive at night, so walking back late at night is risky

You live in Pratumnak to be in Pratumnak. Mainly to be out of Pattaya, which is close for an occasional visit.

As for the Soi dogs, you must be showing aggresion towards  them as I have never had an issue  with them. You have to live there for an informed opinion.

Edited by ianezy0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

You live in Pratumnak to be in Pratumnak. Mainly to be out of Pattaya, which is close for an occasional visit.

As for the Soi dogs, you must be showing aggresion towards  them as I have never had an issue  with them. You have to live there for an informed opinion.

Cobblers. Just your limited view

Park Lane Resort have some nice Condos only 15 Min walk to Jomtine Beach, Bath Taxi passing on regular Basis, Best you Rent first prior to Purchasing & then no regrets,My Friend has 2 x 36Sq One Bedroom Fully Furnished units with many extras i.e Ac living & Bedroom, No Brokers Rent direct from the Owner,

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Pattaya is one of the easiest city's in the world to get about imo, m/c taxi bikes EVERYWHERE.

I fail to see how not being on the bah bus route is an issue when considering a location.

You followed the above post with FOURTEEN others, and you still refuse to accept that many people do not want to get on a motorcycle in Pattaya.  (I do use m/c taxis, but I understand clearly why many do not.)  

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you genuinely lived there you'd realize there are 100s of dogs, mostly they are ok but sometimes not, depends what day, weather, mood, walking back home late at night where dogs are is risky, most people understand that

Agree but that is not unique to Pratumnak

• Like 1

Popular calculations were that you could rent for 18 years versus buying before you were out of pocket With current rentals no doubt considerably lower it has probably extended to over 20 years! So, why buy?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

You followed the above post with FOURTEEN others, and you still refuse to accept that many people do not want to get on a motorcycle in Pattaya.  (I do use m/c taxis, but I understand clearly why many do not.)  

What's your point?

On 4/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Pattaya is one of the easiest city's in the world to get about imo, m/c taxi bikes EVERYWHERE.

I fail to see how not being on the bah bus route is an issue when considering a location.

Have you even been to Pratumnak?If the baht bus stops at the traffic lights at Sarn Pattaya, there's a looong way to the condos close to the beach or on the top. You don't walk that distance every time you've been somewhere else. You need a mc taxi. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Agree but that is not unique to Pratumnak

Name a location in Pattaya that are similar to Pratumnak when it comes to distance from for example Thappraya Rd when coming either from Jomtien or Pattaya. You need to walk or take a mc taxi every time. 

23 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

...HashBrownHarry now up to 16 posts and still doesn't get the point. Sad.

Pros: Some quite nice condos.

Cons: Many condos are to expensive.

A disaster when it comes to stores or even bars.

The distance from Thappraya Rd when living at the top or near the beach. A very long walk or you need to take a mc taxi (every time). 

A lot of Russians (not a big fan). 

And imo so boring. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, eyup said:

Popular calculations were that you could rent for 18 years versus buying before you were out of pocket With current rentals no doubt considerably lower it has probably extended to over 20 years! So, why buy?  

Well, for me they have all been money-makers--I never made any money until I bought my first condo.   But the main reason is to own my own space to do what I want with it, have my own furniture and artwork, and so on.  I'd rather pay myself than a landlord.  But, for many, renting can be a better option.  Really, whatever makes you happy. 

• Like 1