Health Insurance - I need genuine and serious advice

Hi.  I'm 81 years old and in the UK with my Thai wife of 13 years, who is with me on a UK Spouse visa.  She is about to apply for her "Further Leave to Remain" visa and then immediately after apply for UK Citizenship. 

I have built my wife a very nice home in Chiang Rai, where we have often stayed for several months at a time. I have most usually entered Thailand on a 30 day visa waiver and stayed for various periods on a retirement extension using the requisite Bt800,000 bank deposit, which I've for years had for several years and still have. However, in view of my wife's upcoming visa renewal and the time she has already spent outside of the UK, we have been unable to return to Thailand for over a year. 

I am now very concerned because I've been reading disturbing reports that Thia immigration have now introduced a requirement for a recognised health insurance for all foreigners to enter the country or to be granted a visa extension, either my marriage or retirement, regardless of Thai bank financial deposits. As is commonly known, even despite being very healthy and active, it's impossible for an 81 year old to obtain health insurance, anywhere, which will make it impossible for me to ever return.

Bar stool lawyers aside, can anyone please provide serious, accurate, advise as to whether there is any way around this problem and if so, the best visa to gain entry.  Also, if visa waiver is still available.  I'm sure that there must be many other in similar situation also needing this advise.

Edited by Paradice lost
Aditional imsormation

14 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

its not possible to get insurance cover for covid in the UK

Did you read the OP.

He is asking about new health insurance requirement and in the past has been staying in Thailand on extensions based on retirement. He can continue this in future except for non O-A.

Nothing to do with covid-19

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

its not possible to get insurance cover for covid in the UK

Not sure anybody ever really tried to get any to meet that short lived requirements plus very few people could enter the country even if they could get it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yang123 said:

Don't the recently enacted regulations state that any foreigner entering (or re-entering) Thailand must have a COVID-19-free medical certificate and a US$100,000 health insurance policy?

Those regulations will be scrapped as soon as the numbnuts who brought them in realise they are waving 15% of GDP goodbye, which is what tourism contributes to the Thai economy.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Those regulations will be scrapped as soon as the numbnuts who brought them in realise they are waving 15% of GDP goodbye, which is what tourism contributes to the Thai economy.

Except the government has been gagging to introduce mandatory insurance for foreigners for years now.  I rather doubt they'll give that up readily, even if they end up trying to "hide" it in an additional charge on airline tickets.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Have those requirements actually been cancelled? Or are they still there, ready to be resurrected once flights resume?

I would say they have been cancelled since they are not in effect now.

What will be required to enter when the allow people to enter the country again is unknown.

I suspect it will depend upon where they are traveling from. I think they have learned their lesson about the health certificates so there might impose a 14 day quarantine for those arriving from high risk countries.

I think they imposed the covid 19 insurance to make it harder for those that qualified harder to enter the country. 

6 hours ago, Oxx said:

Have those requirements actually been cancelled? Or are they still there, ready to be resurrected once flights resume?

The requirements are still there. Yesterday I asked at jomtien immigration about going to cambodia by land an returning by land, IO said I would need the insurance and a health certificate from Cambodia.

48 minutes ago, fred110 said:

The requirements are still there. Yesterday I asked at jomtien immigration about going to cambodia by land an returning by land, IO said I would need the insurance and a health certificate from Cambodia.

I am not sure how an immigration officer could predict what will be needed in at least a month or more.

On 4/28/2020 at 5:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

The only requirement to have insurance is to apply for a Non-OA visa at the embassy in London in your case.

It is not required for a extension of stay based upon retirement unless you used a OA visa to get the entry you would be extending.

No insurance would be required if you entered with a non-o visa or a tourist visa and then changed it to a non immigrant visa at immigration need to apply for an extension.

Also not required to apply for a non-o visa or a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

My wife is also stuck in the U.K. we are on extension of stay and she is my dependant recently the Thai government announced that all foreigners had to have $100,000 health insurance policy which must have written in It that the police states you are covered from Corona virus this does not apply to Thai nationals there was also a requirement that both foreigners and Thai nationals must obtain a health certificate stating you are clear from Corona virus and this letter can be no older than 72 hours before you fly . I have already seen posts that Thai nationals who didn’t have this certificate were turned away at airports around the world my wife has already made  enquires in the U.K. on both issues and tells me that there is no chance of getting either requirement . It should also be noted if this couple were to return to Thailand they have to go into Quarantine for 14 days on a military base.

3 hours ago, fred110 said:

I would think the IO just wanted to say something that made him look informed, even though he had no idea!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My wife is also stuck in the U.K. we are on extension of stay and she is my dependant recently the Thai government announced that all foreigners had to have $100,000 health insurance policy which must have written in It that the police states you are covered from Corona virus this does not apply to Thai nationals there was also a requirement that both foreigners and Thai nationals must obtain a health certificate stating you are clear from Corona virus and this letter can be no older than 72 hours before you fly . I have already seen posts that Thai nationals who didn’t have this certificate were turned away at airports around the world my wife has already made  enquires in the U.K. on both issues and tells me that there is no chance of getting either requirement . It should also be noted if this couple were to return to Thailand they have to go into Quarantine for 14 days on a military base.

In a similar situation, my Thai partner and son are in the U.K. flights already have been cancelled. I have until the 26th of May to decide on a return date to Thailand with B.A. they say that flights will currently resume on the 1st of June. I would like to travel back but as yet details of restrictions which I assume will announced when the next lockdown ends.

I don’t think any Insurance company would cover you for Covid19 so the government will have to revise that decision for me.

20 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

That is basically all old info. Since early this month has not allowed flights with passenger disembarking here that includes Thai's unless they are on a arranged repatriation flight. That will not end until the end of May.

"THAILAND -- published 27.04.2020
Flights to Thailand are suspended.
- This does not apply to state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing without disembarkation, humanitarian aid, medical, relief and repatriation flights. Passengers are subject to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

It is known what will be required when flights resume.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fred110 said:

Borders it would seem are long way off opening. Also require opening both sides. Each country may may their own requirements. Even then any health insurance would be perhaps only one component. You may need a medical of some sort and even isolation. Immigration would have zero knowledge of what might be required. Below zero would be random IO. Who could predict zip.

• Confused 1

The insurance question, if there is any would be a good one to know the answer?  I would like to know this for sake of potential of needing insurance for illness or accident at any age?

Aside from company group policies, I have never had much luck with insurance. 

16 hours ago, crazykopite said:

You have posted about this on at least 2 other threads about health certificate and insurance and I personaly have put you straight twice. Not needed, because these requirements were cancelled  by the banning of all incoming flights other than repatriation of Thai nationals. Now thats a 3rd time.