Thai credit cards - minimum payment reduced - Covid measure?

Just noticed today that the minimum payment on my Thai AmEx bill is now 5% of the outstanding balance as opposed to the previous 10%.

AmEx is the only card I get a paper bill for and I pay off each month by direct debit so I never really look at the payment details, just the balance and check the transactions

Checking CitiBank Thailand and I see the same reduction.

I'm assuming this is a covid stimulus measure, but I don't recall seeing any announcements, not even on the bank's websites.

Whilst it doesn't affect me directly (as noted I pay it off each month on direct debit), I'm sure it will be welcomed by many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

Just add to their debt and make them think they can spend more.

This must be one of the lowest salary, highest debt countries in the world.

Indeed, but don't forget that the UK minimum payment has been 1% of balance since 2011.

At 10% Thailand had one of the highest minimum payments in the world.

Below webpage gives a summary of COVID relief programs being offerred by various Thai banks. Looks like dropping the minimum credit card monthly payment for X-amount of time is being provided by most/all.   I expect the Bank of Thailand (BOT) strongly suggested such and/or the Thai Bankers (Bangsters) Assn came to agreement--see monopolistic groups do lower prices sometimes (i.e., when forced to by events/govt).

https://www.thailand-property.com/blog/thai-banks-offer-support-home-loans-and-credit-card-payments

• Like 2