PATTAYA GYMS ? do they reopen on Friday 1st May 2020 ?

samtab

On 5/1/2020 at 11:03 AM, elgenon said:

I would think an open-air gym would be be like some of Tony's gyms that have few if any walls.

Muscle Factory in Pratumnak is open air technically, fully walled but all extremely large windows open, and they have a couple of Big Ass Fans on the ceiling keeping things cool I can't think of anything worse than weight training in the cold lol

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:40 PM, RickG16 said:

Much prefer open air gyms with big fans + lots of ventilation and shade. Why not breath in fresh air? Also makes you sweat more if slightly hotter.

Yes this is what beginners, who have no idea about what they are doing, think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Yes this is what beginners, who have no idea about what they are doing, think.

I'm a beginner am I? Interesting.

Why do so many top athletes do warm weather training in the off season do you think?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, RickG16 said:

I'm a beginner am I? Interesting.

Why do so many top athletes do warm weather training in the off season do you think?

Depends on the point of their exercise, what their sport is.  If they are getting ready for a competition that takes place in hot weather (runner, cycler, footballer, etc.), then yes, it makes sense to train in warm weather as part of the conditioning.

If you are focused on bodybuilding or strength training, then exercising in hot weather is not helpful.  Also, exercising in hot weather can make you fatigued and dehydrate too fast that you can not benefit from the exercise over a prolonged period.

For example, if I'm doing 20+ sets of leg presses at 500kg, I don't want to be getting excessively dehydrated.  That is not beneficial to strength gains.

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

Depends on the point of their exercise, what their sport is.  If they are getting ready for a competition that takes place in hot weather (runner, cycler, footballer, etc.), then yes, it makes sense to train in warm weather as part of the conditioning.

If you are focused on bodybuilding or strength training, then exercising in hot weather is not helpful.  Also, exercising in hot weather can make you fatigued and dehydrate too fast that you can not benefit from the exercise over a prolonged period.

For example, if I'm doing 20+ sets of leg presses at 500kg, I don't want to be getting excessively dehydrated.  That is not beneficial to strength gains.

Very true... I find that the open air gym (with plenty of shade and big fans) makes me sweat that little bit more when I'm running, but that I am still able to perform strength exercises to nearly the same ability. TBH I would probably work out for less time as it's a little hotter, but this suits me fine. 

27 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

gyms were ok'd to open May 17th...yet I can't find even one open in Pattaya.  Even condo gyms.

Does anyone know of a gym or condo gym that has now opened?

Pratamnak Soi 5 near the top, past by yesterday the non ac gym was open and with people working out there....

3 hours ago, JayBird said:

My friend was a 3time Olympic hammer thrower. He said cool is good for cardio but warm is good for weights.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

The pool at my condo has opened this morning so I presume the gym has too. The rule for all gyms is for use of free weights only, no sitting/standing at any machines.

so no cardio in gyms ?