Anybody changing their motor oil in car by themselves?

On 5/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, Don Mega said:

For a 2.4 revo an oil change is Bt.1483.00 not including labour.

Motor Oil 10W-30 SM (Gallon) (6L)) 873.00
Motor Oil 10W-30 SM (Liter) (1L)) 302.00
Grease (GC-LB Grease 15 Kg.) 88.00
OIL FILTER 200.00
sump plug washer 20.00

for the old 2.5 model it wil be about the same plus Bt200 or so for labour.

wow! - you have an honest service station!! 

- for me without exception, if I'd received that 6l + 1L;

no matter whether it came out of a 6L container

- the Bill would show 7L @ the 302/L rate 

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

wow! - you have an honest service station!! 

- for me without exception, if I'd received that 6l + 1L;

no matter whether it came out of a 6L container

- the Bill would show 7L @ the 302/L rate 

I cutNpasted from the Toyota Thailand website.

• Thanks 1

I’m surprised that people take their car just to have the oil changed, as far back as I can remember it’s always been part of a scheduled service.

We have both a Ford and a Toyota which are serviced by the respective dealerships and at the end of the service we receive a report on various items tyres brakes etc.

I think the last time I did any maintenance on a car was when I was about 35 and I am seventy now, but horses for courses.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:23 AM, CGW said:

Not worth the effort and mess to save a few baht, then you also have to dispose of the old oil and filter.

I think the labor is near nothing...

• Like 1

Ok to change the Oil yourself but you dont save much, What about the rest of the Vehicle, 

You still have wear n tear on Front Suspension ie wishbone rubber bushing  & unless you have a Hoist or other to get the weigh of you undercarriage will cost you more in the long term,

I have a Light vehicle Workshop out on Highway 36 Pong district & if you want to Purchase your own Oils & Filters oke by us as we only charge Labor Rate Plus you will get Full Inspection & Report  at no extra cost,

You are dealing with English speaking staff & no funny Business, We can pick your car up from your house & return to you low Cost,

I have a few vechiles but the Vigo is not old and has ALL toyota servicings/receipts which us farangs put a hight value on.  All done on time with full synth oil..  HOWEVER!, what a shables of a place!!  where the heck do they find these untrained monkeys?  a couple of times some issue and they just keep changing parts untill "hopefully" its fixed and at the end.... you guessed it, a long bill for stuff thats nothing to do with the issue... (Yes us Rafangs are stupid with too much cash to burn!)

They break stuff during the services then look suprised when yI return and point them out.........

Grabby brages for one : They test drove it a few times.. seems hard for the head mech to feel the brakes grabbing/realse .. like thats normal or something..  the disks have been skimmed 2 times allready and new pads (no change) They ordereds new disks after telling me we dont skim here in Thailand!

and by the time they arrived (Phuket)  I was so over travelling to the dealer...  gave it to my rally car mech friend and he pulled all the brakes apart and now like new..

Another, a squeek skweek on a front wheel...  Dealer had no idea.. suggested change wheel bearings..  meanwhile I got new tires and mentioned it to the boy at the tre shop.. he knoew vidos... did something, no charge all good now...

Been here many years..  Friend sent his Beemer to BKK after endless expensive cooling probless.. another had engine rebuilt at the Dealer with all his new  imported parts.. they ruuned it!

So, seems dealers here are the oppisote of the western world... trained to follow checkboxes of change a filter or two and so on...  if not for the receipts I would stay well away..  same with the scooter... soft front suspention.. dealer has no idea but change the forks..  old guy down the road put heavier oil in.. JOB DONE!!!!

need I go on?

Find yourself a decent guy.. that knows you dont want to cut corners but also not get ripped off....  thats the best..

Happy motoring..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seeall said:

I have a few vechiles but the Vigo is not old and has ALL toyota servicings/receipts which us farangs put a hight value on.  All done on time with full synth oil..  HOWEVER!, what a shables of a place!!  where the heck do they find these untrained monkeys?  a couple of times some issue and they just keep changing parts untill "hopefully" its fixed and at the end.... you guessed it, a long bill for stuff thats nothing to do with the issue... (Yes us Rafangs are stupid with too much cash to burn!)

They break stuff during the services then look suprised when yI return and point them out.........

Grabby brages for one : They test drove it a few times.. seems hard for the head mech to feel the brakes grabbing/realse .. like thats normal or something..  the disks have been skimmed 2 times allready and new pads (no change) They ordereds new disks after telling me we dont skim here in Thailand!

and by the time they arrived (Phuket)  I was so over travelling to the dealer...  gave it to my rally car mech friend and he pulled all the brakes apart and now like new..

Another, a squeek skweek on a front wheel...  Dealer had no idea.. suggested change wheel bearings..  meanwhile I got new tires and mentioned it to the boy at the tre shop.. he knoew vidos... did something, no charge all good now...

Been here many years..  Friend sent his Beemer to BKK after endless expensive cooling probless.. another had engine rebuilt at the Dealer with all his new  imported parts.. they ruuned it!

So, seems dealers here are the oppisote of the western world... trained to follow checkboxes of change a filter or two and so on...  if not for the receipts I would stay well away..  same with the scooter... soft front suspention.. dealer has no idea but change the forks..  old guy down the road put heavier oil in.. JOB DONE!!!!

need I go on?

Find yourself a decent guy.. that knows you dont want to cut corners but also not get ripped off....  thats the best..

Happy motoring..

Hasn't been my experience over a period of nine years with both Toyota and Ford dealerships have been happy with the service standards only a couple of weeks ago they picked up a nail in the tyre small thing but I hadn’t seen it

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, kingdong said:

Perhaps not so silly,you don,t know what they,'re putting in it and could end up mullahering your engine,if you want to be on the safe side but the correct oil and genuine filter and just pay a garage to change it,make sure the engine is warmed up and stand and watch while they do it.

When I have gone to B-Quik they ask you which oil you want.  They offer a wide variety.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:50 AM, kingdong said:

Perhaps not so silly,you don,t know what they,'re putting in it and could end up mullahering your engine,if you want to be on the safe side but the correct oil and genuine filter and just pay a garage to change it,make sure the engine is warmed up and stand and watch while they do it.

You seem a bit paranoid. They will put in the oil you ordered and it's really cheap to get it done. 

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Try Lazada. PTT  10W30 Dynamic common rail 6+2 l semi synthetic oil for 690 BT + 134 BT deliver cost. You can get a 55 baht voucher every day in may if buy more than 490 bt. Go to vouchers for that. 96 baht a liter if you do yourself. I use this oil for my Dmax 2.5 liter ( 6+1 liter).

• Like 1

Changed Oil and filter a few times at both cockpit and bquik.

Once I had brake pads done as well and got back home and checked the oil level and noticed the brake filler cap missing .

Found it luckily wedged in the engine.

Another time they asked if I wanted a genuine Toyota filter which I paid extra for and checked after and it was a non-genuine part .

Went back the next day and they said no problem next time they will replace it free!

Never went back again.

I know these things are a rarity but still it shouldn't happen

17 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I use to til I had to buy a different oil filter wrench. After that I got lazy. People don’t know how much money they can save by doing light maintenance on their vehicles.

Just been looking at buying car ramps probably not worth saving a few 100 baht.

Best idea is buy your own and pay them 200 baht to do it but feel embarrassed to ask them cheap Charlie springs to mind

as for me .. change oil filter use a good brand for your diesel  non synth   ..  it is a waste of money  .. BUT  change oil at regular intervals  ...  

me  40 yr auto usa 

5 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Changed Oil and filter a few times at both cockpit and bquik.

Once I had brake pads done as well and got back home and checked the oil level and noticed the brake filler cap missing .

Found it luckily wedged in the engine.

Another time they asked if I wanted a genuine Toyota filter which I paid extra for and checked after and it was a non-genuine part .

Went back the next day and they said no problem next time they will replace it free!

Never went back again.

I know these things are a rarity but still it shouldn't happen

That is the problem, such things are NOT a rarity! You have to watch them.

My Nisasan navara gets a oil change with semi synthetic at the Nissan dealer for 1620 Baht.

That include oil filter, top up battery and tire pressure, and check everything. At the end they clean the car as well for free if I want.

Would be an idiot if i do it myself.

In Europe it cost you that much just to get on the appointment queue.

• Like 1

For those thinking of using semi synthetic, synthetic blend or full synthetic

Semi synthetic is not always a 50-50 mixture

Depending on the manufacturer it can be as low as 30% synthetic and 70% mineral oil

After my first oil change of semi synthetic I started reading articles and said why go part way

For a few more dollars I can go 100% synthetic

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/synthetic-engine-oil-whats-the-big-deal/

41 minutes ago, ifmu said:

as for me .. change oil filter use a good brand for your diesel  non synth   ..  it is a waste of money  .. BUT  change oil at regular intervals  ...  

me  40 yr auto usa 

Using synthetic is not a waste of money for me

I get extended oil changes and increased fuel mileage 

With air cooled motorcycles the engines run cooler, less friction 
   With my pick up I switched from good quality oil, using Shell and Castro, to 100 synthetic Amsoil

At 185000 miles it was using one quart per 5000 mile oil change

Now at 230,000 miles it is always at the full mark at a 10,000 mile oil change due to the fact

that synthetic has a much higher film strength 

• Like 1

I know a little bit about cars and engines. If you have been using a non synthetic oil, especially in an old car and then you change to a synthetic one, you more than likely will get oil leaks from your seals. 

4 hours ago, Susco said:

My Nisasan navara gets a oil change with semi synthetic at the Nissan dealer for 1620 Baht.

That include oil filter, top up battery and tire pressure, and check everything. At the end they clean the car as well for free if I want.

Would be an idiot if i do it myself.

In Europe it cost you that much just to get on the appointment queue.

4 hours ago, riche60 said:

if u cannot aford the fee for changing oil go home end of

If you can't afford the fee for changing oil, how can you afford the plane ticket home? Some people like to maintain their own vehicles because they know it is done correctly and with care. It's not about saving money. I have many different vehicles and they have never been in a shop. 

• Thanks 2

I have found that the price of the oil and filter at most places includes the labour to change them. I used to shy away from dealers as i thought they would be more expensive, but recently having used Nissan found its about the same and their workers know where hidden filters are as in the air con and auto/cvt transmission. also i might add as a mechanic in my past life, while it is up in the air i will go under the car and give it a visual inspection i also sit in the workshop and keep my eye on them.  Brakes i will continue to do myself.

Edited by brianthainess

15 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I tried changing my oil last week, did not know the oil container was made of aluminum so I tightened the bolt too much and broke the whole thing. Now I need a major reparation of the whole thing.

Its called a sump and sump plug.

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Hasn't been my experience over a period of nine years with both Toyota and Ford dealerships have been happy with the service standards only a couple of weeks ago they picked up a nail in the tyre small thing but I hadn’t seen it

Obviosly and needless to say... that one in 10 might be ok....  just because I had a good somtam in phuket town does not mean all of thailand make em great...

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That is the problem, such things are NOT a rarity! You have to watch them.

I found you had to watch them then realised while I was wasting my time watching them I could do it myself and save money.

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

I found you had to watch them then realised while I was wasting my time watching them I could do it myself and save money.

Surely they only charge a few hundred baht. Doing it yourself means having a container for old oil, disposing of used oil, etc. 

Much simpler to let a local do it. Just pick a busy place because locals go there because he/they are good. 

My local place is husband and wife. He does the work, she collects the money. ????