Video: Illegal teen goes through red light and slams into motorcycle - mum says "sue me"

webfact

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

If only people would take the time to glance right and left whilst starting off when the lights change to green then so many of these accidents could be avoided. Everyone knows that people run red lights here but it is still in your own hands to avoid such incidents. 

Did you also notice the pillion passengers crash helmet rolling around uselessly in the road?

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, smedly said:

The problem in Thailand is not so much winning in court but getting the accused to actually pay up if the court rules in your favour - good luck with that

It is same in the US, win a court case awarded money it is up to you to get the money. People can hide there money in various scams and good luck getting it.

This video is an education in why to always practice defensive driving to prevent accidents like this one. Jumping the traffic lights in a car on a busy crossroads is tantamount to recklessness - and as for the motor bike riders, it's tantamount to downright carelessness in not looking sideways.

Yes, I agree that the parent of the underaged car driver is responsible, but the mother does have this mitigating argument that - in familiar Thai excuses - 'well if they weren't there, my son wouldn't have hit them.' 

As for damage and medical compensation, that's another story that only Thais could sort out. and it would probably depend on who had the most money and higher family connections.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, first away from the lights gets a smack.

I am confused.

A few years ago in Nakhon Sawan I was the first away from the lights followed very closely by a guy in a Benz. I was about 1/3 away across when 2 old ladies in a scabby old pickup truck ran the red from my left. I was going straight ahead and even pulling to the right they still hit me under my axx where not 10 minutes before my mates leg was as I had dropped him of at home.

He would have lost his leg for sure if he was still on the pillion. We all ended up at the cop shop and her relatives were called and paid for the damage to my bike with a bit left over for me.

Now I am NEVER the first away from the lights nor do I run a red light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

This video is an education in why to always practice defensive driving to prevent accidents like this one. Jumping the traffic lights in a car on a busy crossroads is tantamount to recklessness - and as for the motor bike riders, it's tantamount to downright carelessness in not looking sideways.

Yes, I agree that the parent of the underaged car driver is responsible, but the mother does have this mitigating argument that - in familiar Thai excuses - 'well if they weren't there, my son wouldn't have hit them.' 

As for damage and medical compensation, that's another story that only Thais could sort out. and it would probably depend on who had the most money and higher family connections.

Quote "Yes, I agree that the parent of the underaged car driver is responsible, but the mother does have this mitigating argument that - in familiar Thai excuses - 'well if they weren't there, my son wouldn't have hit them.'

OTOH the motorcyclist has the same argument  'well if the car drivers parents had not stupidly bought their underage son a car and knowingly ignored the fact that the son was driving illegally and running the red light, he would not have been there and the biker and his passenger would have been OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Anyone remember Mr. Red Bull?

I used to tutor a kid whose parents gave him a car when he was 15. I talked to him a lot about it, explaining that whatever happened was his fault, regardless of who's right or wrong. He just told me his dad's a lawyer.

This is Thailand! I reckon 40+% of motorcyclists on the road don't have the proper licence.

Probably 10-20% of car drivers.

What about the teen girl who was drinking and had no license, she hit a van with 9 people in it and killed all of them.

And never spent on day in jail.

• Like 2

Clearly the driver ran the red and should be held accountable...

up to the police to enforce the law...once you start making excuses line counting to 3 or 5 whatever,  you will have chaos on the road - can’t apply individual rules of the road

I wonder where thailand ranks in road safety? (rhetorical question)

3 hours ago, Antonymous said:

That would be nice but ...

The mother can't be sued as she was not driving the car. The injured parties can take the driver to court and if found guilty (surely he would be) they could be awarded a sum determined by the court. But getting paid is another matter entirely. Seems that the Mother ain't going to help in that regard.

The mother is the owner of the car (therefore, it is her property which she is in control of , therefore responsible for). The driver of said property will not be held liable for the crash, as he is under the legal driving age. The mom's insurance will be held liable. Insurance should cover the vehicle, not the driver.

One person's property caused harm to another person.

Mom needs to go before the court and explain why baby (Nong) Somchai was driving the car. Her answer will be "He took it without permission, I am not responsible". This will need to be discussed in the proceedings.

Baby (Nong) Somchai needs to go to juvenile detention for 6 months and learn how to be a real Somchai, if he can survive it. Afterwards, needs to be picking up garbage on the city streets for 2 hours per day for 1 year.

If that were me on my motorbike that he hit, I would have played dead and racked up the most charges at hospital. <deleted> finding them... their little bit of money will do fine. That's a 2 million baht payout with a <deleted> attorney, 8 million with a good one.

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

16 is not legal to drive a car.  If it goes yo court, she loses big time!

Simply not so....the kid could have been 3 years old and still might get away with it if his parents have the money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I think this depends upon who Daddy is.

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If only people would take the time to glance right and left whilst starting off when the lights change to green then so many of these accidents could be avoided. Everyone knows that people run red lights here but it is still in your own hands to avoid such incidents. 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Clearly car driver liable but.......as a bike rider you have to check no vehicles are coming before riding off, many of them didn't look properly

It's true, but the driver is also on the wrong lane of the road, which probably explains why many didn't see him coming. The bikers probably saw the vehicles on the right in their lane coming to a stop, then looked left before proceeding to go ahead. Not to mention the speed of the car.. 

I also almost got hit by a mid-aged MB driver in this very same intersection, who rode through a red light. Turned around and started banging on his window, lots of wais and "sorry sorry" with his family including kids in the car. Decided to leave it there and not do any damage as I was intending in the anger of the moment. I had also my gf riding pillion.. 

image.thumb.png.5420e038b09c392c6c70618cfe9395be.png 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

First step is for the police to prosecute the parents for letting their child drive the car assuming by law they are responsible - once convicted it makes the courts decision to award damages much easier.

Once convicted mother and son should receive a good kicking, plus jail!!!!!

14 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Once convicted mother and son should receive a good kicking, plus jail!!!!!

Well as Paul Calf says on stage: "most men - but not you lot of course - just want a good kicking. And most women - not you lot out there of course - just need a good shagging."

2 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

What about the teen girl who was drinking and had no license, she hit a van with 9 people in it and killed all of them.

And never spent on day in jail.

I've never seen a report that said she had been drinking.

She was 16 years old at the time and very well connected but the victims did get their money eventually, took them almost 10 years and only happened at all because they shamed the whole clan on social media.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

She obviously thinks she's wealthy and well connected enough to make sure she doesn't loose anything!

And what action have the RTP taken so far - illegal underage driver, no license, no insurance, driving recklessly, in a car provided by parents.

Seems similar to the girl who smashes the mini van off the freeway, only thankfully, no fatal consequences this time.

Depending on how well connected mummy is, this may result in just a compensation deal negotiated by the BiB for their usual commission. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It won't need to go to court, like all the other similar incidents they will be demonised in the press for years to come, the kid who was driving will be a walking target for the rest of his life and they deserve everything they get.

All they need to do is pay up and it all goes away, the quicker they pay the less pain they will receive.

The amount they should pay is not just about medical expenses, we're talking about how many millions in compensation they need to pay to keep the little brat out of prison for a few years.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

You see this kind of thing multiple times on the news every night ... including driving into the back of cars, careening off the road for no reason etc.  I can’t figure out if it’s just Thailand or does the Thai news just give it more coverage than other countries?If it is Thai drivers then they seem to completely lack situational awareness.