Rise in curfew violations since Sunday amid warning booze ban could be reinstated

webfact

"Thaivisa notes that the stats may fuel fears among Thailand's drinkers that bans will be reintroduced because some people are flouting the law."

Every time I see some comment like that I remember when booze was banned on trains because one of THEIR drunken/drugged up employees raped and killed a young girl by throwing her off the train. And it's still banned! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HHTel said:

What threat.  It's only been mentioned should infections rise.  Nowhere, except on ThaiVisa has there been a threat of reinstating the ban based on curfew or 'get together' violations.

I never wrote this below what you quoted. Please be more careful when quoting! 

"

And the threat of banning alcohol again is just treating it's citizens like children, but typical of the military mindset.

Goodness me, a hint of alcohol been banned again and there will be a few killed in the stampede. Saw video of what I thought was a Makro somewhere on Sunday and it was mayhem.

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I never wrote this below what you quoted. Please be more careful when quoting! 

"

And the threat of banning alcohol again is just treating it's citizens like children, but typical of the military mindset.

Sorry, not me.  Blame the system.  It's the system that establishes the 'Who said?'  I never intended to quote you at all!

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

Should be one of the last things that gets lifted. 

Lifted ? Come on guys, that is the one chance to become finally sober once and for all  ???????? OK, let me think again .... maybe back to Makro at 11:00 tomorrow ?

Edited by moogradod
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

What troubles me is why punish all for the sake of the guilty, this is dragging Thailand back to the "Dark Ages"; it is the guilty people who should be punished then you would not upset the whole nation by a thoughtless decision.!!!!!!! 

That would involve patrolling, observing, raiding, arresting, processing, bailing or remanding in custody, prosecuting and taking to jail/collecting a fine - which as it is awarded by a court is not subject to the less rigorous informal accounting procedures favoured...

Much easier and more satisfying to dress up in your tightest uniform and go on the telly to announce a ban - although you will have to practice your "stern, regretful but you leave me with no choice" mode of delivery. That shows that you have real power and influence. The ban also may provide your chaps, who are quite hard hit now so many businesses which they "looked after" have closed, with the opportunity for some informal accounting procedures.

Bear in mind, you wear a uniform, and so are not accountable - to anyone really.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

There was a solid reason why Thailand was one of only two nations worldwide, which had a ban on alcohol. Total overkill. To re-instate this ban would be a heinous abuse of power. One new case overnight. Curfew is no longer required. Intelligence is required. On both the part of civilians and the brain dead army. 

Hate to break it to you but ban on alcohol has been implemented in more than two nations.

At least Greenland (Denmark), Thailand, Botswana, Bahamas, Panama, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tahiti, French Polynesia, Sint Maarten, Mexico (Southern States), France (parts of Northern) has banned all sales of alcohol. Most countries has put in place limitations such as banning the sale of alcohol in bars and restaurants (or sale or drinking in public places), but also some have restricted the sales to limited hours, alcohol importation (etc. Cambridge Bay, Alaska) or banned non-locals/travelers to buy alcohol elsewhere such Pennsylvanian residents are banned to buy in Ohio... Probably many other places/nations that has banned all sales of alcohol that I don`t know about.

To grant you something here, most of these places I first mentioned has banned the sales of alcohol due to domestic violence, and if you look at the statistics, these places also tend to have more alcoholism and domestic violence on a general basis. The ban in most of these places wasn`t to prevent the spread of the virus, but rather to prevent the increase of domestic violence due to implementations taken because of the virus.

That being said, Thailand`s ban on alcohol has probably been one of the most justified one: Songkran

Now that Songkran is long gone and the cases barely exist in Thailand, I don`t see the need for any alcohol ban or any otherwide nation ban for that matter, other than Province-by-Province based and perhaps some travel restrictions.

Edited by HOAX
  • Like 1

This morning's BP states "The ban was lifted in most provinces including Bangkok on Sunday, which marked the first of a 14 day trial period for resuming alcohol sales." later referencing Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothinin.

So my take on this is that the ban has not been lifted, it is simply a 14 day trial, so anyone who enjoys a social drink would be well advised to do a bit of judicious re stocking or even indulge in a bit of panic buying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, actonion said:

Reinstate the alcohol ban  because some broke the curfew law ?... these people will always break the curfew laws  no matter how long the alcohol ban is...

Although, if you read the OP, some of those apprehended were in Pathum Thani which still has the alcohol ban in place. So ban or not they are going to find some way to obtain alcohol, drugs etc. and congregate. So why bother with the ban? My fear is that the idiot running this province sees the article and decides to punish everyone by extending the ban beyond May 31st.

Out of the people illegally congregating 60% were caught drinking alcohol, 21% were gambling and 11% were doing drugs.
-
makes you wonder what the other 8% were doing ? Imprisonment and the possibility 40,000 baht fine,. Sounds extreme under the circumstances ! If you can’t keep order in your own home then please don’t expect farang to show you how to behave ????????

There was a solid reason why Thailand was one of only two nations worldwide, which had a ban on alcohol. Total overkill. To re-instate this ban would be a heinous abuse of power. One new case overnight. Curfew is no longer required. Intelligence is required. On both the part of civilians and the brain dead army. 

true,,, I am surprised you are not all celebrating you are pretty much free of the virus now. It surely must be time to start letting people get back to work to feed themselves, even if there are social distancing measures in place for a while. as for the alcohol ban, completely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Hate to break it to you but ban on alcohol has been implemented in more than two nations.

At least Greenland (Denmark), Thailand, Botswana, Bahamas, Panama, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tahiti, French Polynesia, Sint Maarten, Mexico (Southern States), France (parts of Northern) has banned all sales of alcohol. Most countries has put in place limitations such as banning the sale of alcohol in bars and restaurants (or sale or drinking in public places), but also some have restricted the sales to limited hours, alcohol importation (etc. Cambridge Bay, Alaska) or banned non-locals/travelers to buy alcohol elsewhere such Pennsylvanian residents are banned to buy in Ohio... Probably many other places/nations that has banned all sales of alcohol that I don`t know about.

No limits on buying booze in the UK, no bars/pubs open though. I've seen people walking around drinking cans of beer or sitting on park benches drinking beer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fantom said:

This morning's BP states "The ban was lifted in most provinces including Bangkok on Sunday, which marked the first of a 14 day trial period for resuming alcohol sales." later referencing Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothinin.

So my take on this is that the ban has not been lifted, it is simply a 14 day trial, so anyone who enjoys a social drink would be well advised to do a bit of judicious re stocking or even indulge in a bit of panic buying.

Could be that`s what he meant but I think its rather another message lost in translation. Its more likely he is referring to Thailand`s 14 days period of control of the spread, which is within the incubation period in most cases when isolated (4-12 days, even though a few people hasn`t tested positive before as long as over 3 weeks after being infected).

24 minutes ago, fantom said:

It's not a '14 day trial'.  The CCSA has confirmed that the ban on alcohol sales has been lifted but for take-away only.  People here and especially the media love to read into the news some underlying restriction.

What the CCSA has said is that restrictions in force will be reviewed EVERY 14 days. That includes ALL restrictions.  If all goes well, then further restrictions may be lifted. Where does that say that alcohol sales are on a 14 day trial?

Are we now in the middle of 'Fake News'?  People should listen to the official government announcements instead of trying to fill in blanks that are not even there.

I despair.

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

No limits on buying booze in the UK, no bars/pubs open though. I've seen people walking around drinking cans of beer or sitting on park benches drinking beer.

But UK, US, Russia, Belarus and Sweden are also the countries that didn`t quite do as the others, and now pays the price.

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

So because around 75 people were arrested for congregating together to drink that means the rest of the adult population should be treated like children and are not allowed to have a beer at home? 

In Thailand, yes. Always a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The immigration demands are the result of a small number flouting the rules, so every foreigner has to deal with the consequences.

I'm getting to like sitting by my pool having a few beers and the wife giving me a hug every 5 minutes asking if I want some snacks I think she's happy I'm not going g to the bar every night 

43 minutes ago, HOAX said:

To grant you something here, most of these places I first mentioned has banned the sales of alcohol due to domestic violence, and if you look at the statistics, these places also tend to have more alcoholism and domestic violence on a general basis. The ban in most of these places wasn`t to prevent the spread of the virus, but rather to prevent the increase of domestic violence due to implementations taken because of the virus.

That being said, Thailand`s ban on alcohol has probably been one of the most justified one: Songkran

Now that Songkran is long gone and the cases barely exist in Thailand, I don`t see the need for any alcohol ban or any otherwide nation ban for that matter, other than Province-by-Province based and perhaps some travel restrictions.

As you said most of those nations are either very violent or tiny countries of little significance. Thailand is neither. It made a tiny bit of sense prior to Songkran. Now? 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As you said most of those nations are either very violent or tiny countries of little significance. Thailand is neither. It made a tiny bit of sense prior to Songkran. Now? 

None

24 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

true,,, I am surprised you are not all celebrating you are pretty much free of the virus now. It surely must be time to start letting people get back to work to feed themselves, even if there are social distancing measures in place for a while. as for the alcohol ban, completely ridiculous. 

Beleive me, many of us are celebrating. It is very safe here. Whatever they did, it worked and kudos to them for that. 

I was supposed to be back in the world epicenter, the lowly US, this month. Yes, the nation with the completely broken medical system, which ranks about 40th in the world. Even lower now. It has been unmasked for all it lacks. 

Thrilled I cancelled the trip. 

6 hours ago, BobbyL said:

So because around 75 people were arrested for congregating together to drink that means the rest of the adult population should be treated like children and are not allowed to have a beer at home? 

Thailand has super low cases, and deaths, thankfully. Time to get rid of the curfew, we are not children. There will always be idiots. But the curfew is no longer actually doing anything. 1 new covid case today, how long is the curfew lasting for? 

Which was the other one please? 

WOW, what horrific stats....

70 people in Bangkok broke the curfew out of a population of 8.281 million people.

So they threaten to ban booze again due to what percentage of the population broker the law?

I tried to work it out with my calculator but there were 9 decimal points so it wouldn't display.

Ridiculous!

Continual threats to make people live in fear!

If they had the same amount of police checking every night before they lifted the booze ban, you would think there would be at least a couple of dozen people breaking the law anyway.

So more than likely, less than 50 people out of 8.281 million broke the law.

The mind boggles!?!?!?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Tiny bit? I think it made a lot of sense. Other than that I agree, lift the ban nationwide and isolate the places that still has an issue for the time it needs.

That being said, I think the Coronavirus has been a great test of what may otherwise one day become one the most serious threat to life as we know it, the Malaysian Nipahvirus, with a death rate of between 40-100% (over 80% in the South Asia strain). This is THE virus that is occupying scientists nowadays, as the virus has been spreading in Malaysia, India and Bangladesh recently. Other ongoing outbreaks on watch that you may not have heard about are at least two different SARS-strain outbreaks in Southern China which has already made Thailand banning the importation of certain products from these regions earlier this year, and another outbreak in Northern China. While Coronaviruses and SARS-viruses are related, SARS-viruses has so far been less infectious, but more deadly. That may change as viruses` lifespans are very short, mutating very rapidly. While 99.99% of mutations are in favor of survival (making them less harmful), freak mutations does happen, such as with the latest Coronavirus that develops COVID-19 (a severe respiratory disease).

1 hour ago, flinc2020 said:

Although, if you read the OP, some of those apprehended were in Pathum Thani which still has the alcohol ban in place. So ban or not they are going to find some way to obtain alcohol, drugs etc. and congregate. So why bother with the ban? My fear is that the idiot running this province sees the article and decides to punish everyone by extending the ban beyond May 31st.

And I guess the same applies in Phitsanulok. 

Funnily, I went to my local shop today and asked 'Beer?' after looking in the fridges which only had Coke, Fanta etc. Hidden behind all that sugary poison were four cans of Cheers 6%. There's none there now............and only one left in my home because luckily, no friendly neighbour came around!   PML

57 minutes ago, HOAX said:

But UK, US, Russia, Belarus and Sweden are also the countries that didn`t quite do as the others, and now pays the price.

Most of the population haven't died and most of the populations of these countries won't die either. Sweden's economy will do better than the USA and UK. The UK is set for the biggest downturn in history thanks to the lockdown and Thailand probably won't fare much better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542943