Bangkok: Famous 5 star luxury hotel shuts and lays off staff

webfact

Bangkok: Famous 5 star luxury hotel shuts and lays off staff

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that Bangkok's Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel is the latest casualty of the coronavirus pandemic. 

A letter to staff signed by general manager Richard Coleman and an HR manager said that staff were temporarily no longer required. 

They would receive no money though they might qualify for the government's 15,000 baht social security handouts over the next three months.

Furthermore if they didn't show up when the crisis has eased that would count as dereliction of duty.

They were told to look after themselves and thanked for their understanding. 

The hotel cited "extraordinary circumstances" for the laying off and temporary closure of the hotel that is near the Asoke intersection in downtown Bangkok.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-05-05

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

They would receive no money though they might qualify for the government's 15,000 baht social security handouts over the next three months.

I think social security confirmed 1-2 weeks ago that hotel staff do qualify.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pj123 said:

The report quotes the hotel as stating that staff "would receive no money". But under Thai employment law 

"Employees with more than 120 days, but less than one year employment are entitled to severance pay equal to one month's salary. If employed more than one year, but less than three years, employees are entitled to severance pay equal to three months' salary." (https://www.thaistartup.com/references/severance-pay-rules.php)

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

Sure there will be some loophole they can use

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pj123 said:

The report quotes the hotel as stating that staff "would receive no money". But under Thai employment law 

"Employees with more than 120 days, but less than one year employment are entitled to severance pay equal to one month's salary. If employed more than one year, but less than three years, employees are entitled to severance pay equal to three months' salary." (https://www.thaistartup.com/references/severance-pay-rules.php)

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

temporarily, so I presume the staff has been furloughed.,

If so the payment is 50% of social security information, so for minimum wage would be 3x (around) 5,000, but if they get paid more SS payments will also be more.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Retarded said:

Decades old joke said if all Chinese poop on island of Japan, it would cover the entire island with that fertilizer. COVID proves it isn't a joke. 

I shudder to think where it all ends up in China! :sick:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And how is your response helpful?

Well as long as you ask, I don't think the tourist he describes for the umpteenth time is the typical tourist who will stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the Peninsula. Those persons are generally not concerned with a stay of more than 30 days at the hotels, have maybe been coming routinely for years, and will likely return when this COVID mess clears up.

de6008abc74dc44434f1fc1d6a7dc993.jpg.ab0c67c1b46332c8f2d2492e6b1c2443.jpg8423308_downloadmandarin.jpg.c7c40c519238139a650ffa3a448f6327.jpg

• Like 1

I swear I'm the only paying resident in my entire hotel.  not that big, maybe four floors.  i might give them an extra 500 or 1000 baht because they have a kid and sometimes a nice gesture goes a long way.  but i can only imagine the stress....... 

in another hotel, i remember the owner would be super depressed if their place wasn't full.  now it must be numbing......

this is obviously not just a Thailand thing.....every hotel in the world.  soooo crazy.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Yes -- And a stitch in time saves nine.

And for want of a nail the shoe was lost

And the early bird gets the worm.

How many times are you going to copy-&-paste the same thing?

Ah yes...a most pertinent question and one that I have asked on more than one occassion.

There is quite an oversupply of hotels in that area-it's the old idea of if you are onto something good-build another one right next door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

There is quite an oversupply of hotels in that area-it's the old idea of if you are onto something good-build another one right next door.

Per OP and as noted above:

A letter to staff signed by general manager Richard Coleman and an HR manager said that staff were temporarily no longer required. 

While some have noted the jet-ski scam in this topic about a luxury 5-star hotel, some guests at these 5-star hotels may very well arrive BKK by private jet -- no ski.

Edited by SkyFax
  • Like 2

Was one of my fav hotels to stay at. Made it a Christmas few nights annually for years and ate a fabulous dinner buffet there.  Treated like appreciated guests by the excellent staff.  I sincerely wish they can be re-employed soon.

• Like 1