How do I fly in a dog to Thailand? I am planning on leaving Thailand with my dog and then coming back after 70-90 days what do I need to do to fly with my dog?

I am planning on bringing my dog with me over 2-3 months to a different country from Thailand and then flying back. What documents will I need to get and how can I get them? What should I do to prevent my dog from being quarantined? What are the steps I need to take to be able to fly with my pet and bring him back? What 

• Haha 1

I know from Russian friends, they could travel to Russia and back to Thailand with their small breed dogs by informing the airline in advance only.   It will depend on your destination and you can google that countries rules for traveling from Thailand to it with your dog.  

• Like 1

We brought our two dogs from Australia about nine years ago and because it was a rabies free country no quarantine was required but we had to have certain vaccination certificates.

They were sent out without us accompanying them.

I do recall we had to apply for some  sort of permit before hand and when we picked them up at the cargo area there seemed to be a lot of bureaucratic procedures going from area to area including a veterinary person checking the paperwork 

We also got hit by some form of import tax, the person had a list of the breeds and unfortunately our Jack Russell Terriers came near the top for cost.

My view is that if you can avoid taking the dog do so unless it is easier by being on the same flight.

I brought a dog from the EU a couple of years ago. 

It depends on the airline if the dog can travel on the same flight. 

Some allow a small breed to travel in the cabin in a cage, otherwise, it will be in the hold, or on another flight entirely, depending on each airlines regulations. 

Before returning to Thailand, you'll need all injections up to date and a blood test result translated into Thai. 

Mine wasn't translated, and we had a bit of a stand off in swampy with the animal guy in his office, until quite a few brews were payed for. 

I hear this is common and they will find the slightest excuse, so make sure all your paperwork is in order, and have 5000bht in your pocket as a backup. 

Totally depends on the country you are travelling to what the requirements are. Some countries are very strict.

For the outbound flight you can contact an organisation like lanta animal welfare or soi dog, they do a lot of adoptions to other countries and will be able to assist you. No idea for the return flight. 

I flew in my dogs a few years ago, all the paperwork was 100%, the 'import duty' was very high to get them out of the boxes they flew in. If the dog is too big for the cabin, I would seriously suggest you leave the dog behind (in your country). Dogs don't really have a sense of time, three months is probably a more difficult time for you than for your dog...

On 5/6/2020 at 4:52 PM, AhFarangJa said:

I would recommend using a plane, not a dog. :sorry:

Sorry, but could not resist it, all this isolation......driving me mad.....:crazy:

That's what I thought as well, bloody cramped and no leg room ????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just clicked for the title.  I'm sure you know many, many different languages, and I'm basically a moron trying to figure out English.

You can definitely be an English teacher in Thailand.  Not trolling, I'm serious.  

side note:  look to see if your dog needs a COVID test, shots, etc.....

I've been chased by at least five thousand dogs in Thailand, one amazingly ran up an extremely steep hill for almost five minutes.  Only a few really show their teeth.  With my "vast" amount of dog knowledge, I've decided that a black lab would fit me the best.

i digress..  

Sorry, but could not resist it, all this isolation......driving me mad.....:crazy:

Ahhh you beat me to it, that was going to be my line. Maybe we have the same sense of humour lol

• Haha 1

You beat me to it.....

On 5/6/2020 at 4:21 PM, Finchi said:

What documents will I need to get and how can I get them? What should I do to prevent my dog from being quarantined? What are the steps I need to take to be able to fly with my pet and bring him back?

@Arjen has given you some general advice. The specifics will depend on the details you have not given -

-What dog and how big.

-What country you are planning to go to - this will also affect which airlines you may or may not be able to  use.

Depending on the country you should be able to find online their rules for importing a dog. Your dog may also need to be microchipped as well.

Depends on what country you are bringing the dog from and to take back. We brought ours from Australia and used an agent and all went smoothly. 

However to take her back to Australia requires 6 months of tests, travel, quarantines and a LOT of money. This is due to the Rabies disease. 

So check both ways before deciding to do this.

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

How do I fly in a dog to Thailand?

It's going to be difficult.

Cramped and dark inside a dog. ????

Actually Greyhound does not serve Thailand.

The Dog

Greyhound Canada to shut down temporarily all bus routes as ...

• Haha 1

I fly regularly with my dog to and from Thailand. To start with, I'm guessing you already have the dog "passport", i.e. a record of all the vaccinations, and that your dog has a microchip embedded under the skin, which they scan and identify the dog with.

Exactly three days before you fly out from Bkk, you have to go to the animal quarantine office near the Suvarnabhumi airport - you'll find it on Google maps. They are a helpful lot there. The vet will examine the dog, scan the microchip, and issue you the export permit. 

You then scan and send this export permit to your home country's animal quarantine office, and they will email you back the import permit.

Take a print out of this, and when you go for check in on the day of your flight, show both the Thai export and your country's import, permits at the check in.

When you return from your home country back to Thailand, you would have obtained an export permit from your country. As soon as you clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi, near the baggage belts, is a small animal check office. They'll charge you a nominal fee, and issue you the requisite certificates, take your Thai address (as the dog is supposed to be home quarantined - nothing to do with Covid 19 - this is in normal times too), and let you go home.  

7 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

I fly regularly with my dog to and from Thailand. To start with, I'm guessing you already have the dog "passport", i.e. a record of all the vaccinations, and that your dog has a microchip embedded under the skin, which they scan and identify the dog with.

Exactly three days before you fly out from Bkk, you have to go to the animal quarantine office near the Suvarnabhumi airport - you'll find it on Google maps. They are a helpful lot there. The vet will examine the dog, scan the microchip, and issue you the export permit. 

You then scan and send this export permit to your home country's animal quarantine office, and they will email you back the import permit.

Take a print out of this, and when you go for check in on the day of your flight, show both the Thai export and your country's import, permits at the check in.

When you return from your home country back to Thailand, you would have obtained an export permit from your country. As soon as you clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi, near the baggage belts, is a small animal check office. They'll charge you a nominal fee, and issue you the requisite certificates, take your Thai address (as the dog is supposed to be home quarantined - nothing to do with Covid 19 - this is in normal times too), and let you go home.  

Wont happen to Australia.

It depends on what country you are heading to. Just go to some pet clinic and they will sort everything out for you. After, double check with the airline (on phone).

If it's for just 2-3 months you should really consider leaving your dog at a pet hotel.

• Like 1

We brought our two dogs from the US back in 2014.  There already have been many good comments about what is needed and who to check with but make sure you check the airlines.  When we came from the US many airlines could not guarantee that the dogs got on the same flight with my wife because it was July and they would not hand animals if it was above a certain temperature.  The rule was that in order to have the dogs in the cabin they must be able to stand in a cage which fits under the seat in front of you.  My wife flew ANA - Chicago-Tokyo-Bangkok.  They were great!  The dogs were small enough that they put the two cages in a storage area in the main cabin where the crew rested.

Here is a view; having brought a cat here from the UK and then acquired two small dogs here, I would advise you not to bring domestic animals to this country.  It is no place for domestic pets, let alone ones that have known the freedom of a western country.  Leave them at home, even with a another family, they will be much happier I bet.  I wish that we had done that with the cat.  She has a bad quality of life and has never really settled here.  Too hot, too many nasty things to get her. The dogs, born and raised here, are much more settled to domestic life, but its still not as good as they would have in the UK,  

May I suggest to the poster that you would get all of the correct information by contacting the Thai authorities concerned instead of the many varied comments from on ThaiVisa.  I am not trying to malign those who posted but after reading a few of the postings there is no consistency in what is written and even range from recent supposed information to some from several years ago.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

May I suggest to the poster that you would get all of the correct information by contacting the Thai authorities concerned instead of the many varied comments from on ThaiVisa.  I am not trying to malign those who posted but after reading a few of the postings there is no consistency in what is written and even range from recent supposed information to some from several years ago.

'nuf sed.

Exactly.

36 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed.

I think that is the best advice seen given so far, I imported two dogs nine years ago from Sydney using an agent but it was not as easy as suggested by many on this site.

Dealing with the authorities at the airport wasn't particularly easy until money was produced and what hasn’t been mentioned is that the quarantine office is only open from about 8 30am to 4 30 pm M- F

Furthermore the import fee varies on the type of dog.

If you google “ Importing a Dog into Thailand” there  is an excellent article by “Siam Relocate” which lists all of steps you need to take.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I think that is the best advice seen given so far, I imported two dogs nine years ago from Sydney using an agent but it was not as easy as suggested by many on this site.

Dealing with the authorities at the airport wasn't particularly easy until money was produced and what hasn’t been mentioned is that the quarantine office is only open from about 8 30am to 4 30 pm M- F

Furthermore the import fee varies on the type of dog.

If you google “ Importing a Dog into Thailand” there  is an excellent article by “Siam Relocate” which lists all of steps you need to take.

I imported mine from Brisbane 7 years ago using a melbourne agent. They did everything from picking the dog up in Brisbane to the flight to Chiang Mai. I found them very good and no hassles at all. But I have heard of extra monies demanded at Bangkok airport.