Thais seem to have similar tastes in humor as children

Hal65

"I will come outside. When driver passes by me, I will wave to him".

The English interpreter at True found that to be laugh worthy. She then retold it to the driver/technician, who also laughed heartily.

In general I notice Thais seem to enjoy fairly simple humor. I don't think it's because they are "dumb" or anything like that. But I do wonder where it comes from. Anyone have insight into this?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What kind of humor did the British love? Benny Hill, and Mr Bean, nothing subtle about that.

Those were loved all over the world as were Monty Python etc.

Now talk about Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson or Richard Digence. Listen to 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue' on BBC Sounds app...incredibly clever homour (with a U).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What kind of humor did the British love? Benny Hill, and Mr Bean, nothing subtle about that.

Thais love both of them too. Also Charlie Chaplin. I had VCD dubbed in Loatian !

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Those were loved all over the world as were Monty Python etc.

Exactly. Slapstick humor is appreciated by everyone. The Three Stooges still crack me up.

• Like 2

Just now, billd766 said:

Did you forget comedy series such as

Fawlty Towers

Black Adder

Father Ted

Only Fools and Horses

Steptoe and Son

The Vicar of Dibley

The Royle Family

'allo, allo

Hancocks Halt Hour

Dads Army

Gavin and Stacey

Red Dwarf

Porridge

Open All Hours

2.4 Children 

Absolutely Fabulous

Birds of a Feather

Bread

Butterflies

Hi De Hi

It Aint Arf ot Mum

Keeping up Appearances

Last of the summer Wine

Rising Damp

Some Mothers do ave em

That should keep you going for a while.

No, I didn't decide to list every Brit comedy series ever made, I was just pointing out that "childish" or slapstick humor is enjoyed by everyone, not just Thais.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

It's the drums and whistles to remind you when to laugh, I'd be lost without it.

????

Yes that and the pre-recorded laughing.

Oh wait!  if it's pre-recorded why the whistles and drums?  ????   or is that for those of us at home?  hmmm

Edited by BobBKK

Different cultures have different senses of humour. As simple as that. Analysing what makes a comment poor taste in one culture and a ROFL in another can be very interesting.

Example: testing my hypothesis I told a very chauvinist 'joke' in terribly poor taste about a male's violent treatment of his wife, to a group of six university educated Thai female managers at my company. I swear I picked this one just to see their reaction. I would have got a smack around the head from women in Western culture, but they fell about laughing. I mean real belly laughs. there's something about Thai culture in there if you look. Can you see it?

Me and and the wife have the same humour, she makes me laugh and i make her laugh... 

Apart from one time when i went out one night and got in 8am the next day. She was laughing then 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

Me and and the wife have the same humour, she makes me laugh and i make her laugh... 

Apart from one time when i went out one night and got in 8am the next day. She was laughing then 

Its quite a good psychological trick to

let the child within us out, which

our western culture usually finds

a little unacceptable.  The Thais have

no such inhibition, and do it naturally.

S'why we like 'em, they love joking

around.

• Like 1

IMO.....

There's a difference between "Childish" and "Childlike" - think about it.

When you show English-language humour to Thai people, they may have a problem with the language (as I would with Thai!) but the VISUAL comedy still works.

I have known several Thai ladies who love

Laurel and Hardy

Mr Bean (almost no dialogue anyway)

Fawlty Towers (Basil attacking Manuel etc)

Some Mothers do ave em (Michael Crawford's stunts)

Etc......etc....

• Like 1

With my first Thai girlfriend I walked in a restaurant and they had a cartoon running. Bugs Bunny or something like that. She sat right next to the TV and was laughing out loud all the time. Pure fun for her. I liked watching her. She was maybe 20 at that time.

• Like 1

Have you ever watched Thai game shows, variety TV, comedy dramas. Thais do like to laugh at the simplest of humour. Thais also love Jackie Chan. 

Many mentions of some great British comedy series. Personally I could never really understand why my friend's loved 'The Young Ones' 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With my first Thai girlfriend I walked in a restaurant and they had a cartoon running. Bugs Bunny or something like that. She sat right next to the TV and was laughing out loud all the time. Pure fun for her. I liked watching her. She was maybe 20 at that time.

... not that there's anything wrong with that! ????  I can distin ctly recall almost 40 years ago, whilst serving  in Malaysia image.png.75c67240427062555d266c426fb9dba4.png

that the highlight of an afternoon in the Mess - were the once each a week TV shows of BJ & the Bear... and more so Popeye!

- for they were all that was on the telly, in English 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

The English interpreter at True found that to be laugh worthy. She then retold it to the driver/technician, who also laughed heartily.

In general I notice Thais seem to enjoy fairly simple humor. I don't think it's because they are "dumb" or anything like that. But I do wonder where it comes from. Anyone have insight into this?

Are you talking about Thai humor in the Thai language or in English?  Completely different.  I've watched Thai comedians and they are pretty darn funny.  In the Thai language, of course.  And no, it's not "simple humor."  To appreciate Thai humor requires a pretty good understanding of the Thai language and word usage.  Just like comedy in English.  That's why you can't just watch a comedian in any language with subtitles.  It doesn't do justice.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Thais, generally, ARE children

Yeah that's I thought when this girl that looked about 14 yr smile at me a lot and said hello, found out she was 24 years old. ????

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

No, I didn't decide to list every Brit comedy series ever made, I was just pointing out that "childish" or slapstick humor is enjoyed by everyone, not just Thais.

I only posted the ones I watched and enjoyed. I left the UK in the early 1990s and never watched UK TV again as I was working offshore.

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

As opposed to American humour, like...     

oh, that's right you don't do humour very well do you. :giggle: Bless.

Asian humour is kinda basic (probably so as not to offend), but you get among Thais into the vagaries of the language, and they can be pretty crass and hilarious.