Coronavirus survivors: Covid-19 felt worse than when I was shot, says Muay Thai camp owner who attended Lumpinee fight

rooster59

Coronavirus survivors: Covid-19 felt worse than when I was shot, says Muay Thai camp owner who attended Lumpinee fight

Jitsiree Thongnoi

mt.JPG

The event at Lumpinee stadium continued despite the government ordering the cancellation or postponement of all large gatherings. Photo: AP

The night of March 6, 2020, started much like every other night for boxing camp owner Pitak Kaewprapol – with a visit to a fight.

Pitak and thousands of other Muay Thai fans had packed the New Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Bangkok to watch an evening of kick-boxing, ignoring a government order just three days earlier requiring large gatherings to be cancelled or postponed.

Like many others among the crowd of fans, tourists, celebrities, trainers and promoters who packed the 5,000-capacity stadium, Pitak felt the coronavirus was an imported problem, while Muay Thai – the national sport – was a local affair.

Besides, the night promised much excitement. There were more than 10 fights on the cards, and Pitak was not about to stop a routine he had followed ever since he was a child boxer himself. He attended both out of his love for the sport and also to support the industry.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3083597/coronavirus-survivors-covid-19-felt-worse-when-i-was

SCMP: 2020-05-09

• Like 1

You can't blame the guy for not knowing he had Covid in the absence of widespread testing. The Covid panic has people expecting incredible symptoms. He felt like he just had the flu, which can be very serious, even for people who are young and healthy.

From the CDC web site. Familiarise yourself with how serious the regular flu can be. 

We should be looking at excess mortality adjusted for any population increase. We should be comparing open countries to those which are locked down (closed New York has 4x the fatalities of more open Sweden.) People are hurting over the Covid hysteria.

Flu Complications

Most people who get flu will recover in a few days to less than two weeks, but some people will develop complications (such as pneumonia) as a result of flu, some of which can be life-threatening and result in death.

Sinus and ear infections are examples of moderate complications from flu, while pneumonia is a serious flu complication that can result from either influenza virus infection alone or from co-infection of flu virus and bacteria. Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle (myositis, rhabdomyolysis) tissues, and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu, and people with chronic heart disease may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was only wondering the other day. What happened to the investigation of the army owned boxing stadium that most of the Bangkok infections came from. It's rhetorical question really because everyone knows what happened. Absolutely F all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knocker33 said:

I was only wondering the other day. What happened to the investigation of the army owned boxing stadium that most of the Bangkok infections came from. It's rhetorical question really because everyone knows what happened. Absolutely F all

Shhhhhhhhh????

On 5/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, rkidlad said:

I began to cough and had muscle aches. I felt the aches in my joints and in my bones. I thought I had come down with influenza,” recalled Pitak, 54.

Still, he did not consider even then that he might have the coronavirus. For the next week, he continued his usual routine visiting boxing stadiums across Bangkok"

You thought you had influenza during a time when everyone knew about the coronavirus, but you decided to crack on with life as normal and continued visiting public places? 

Words fail me. 

He got hit on the head to many times .

6 hours ago, nemo38 said:

You can't blame the guy for not knowing he had Covid in the absence of widespread testing. The Covid panic has people expecting incredible symptoms. He felt like he just had the flu, which can be very serious, even for people who are young and healthy.

From the CDC web site. Familiarise yourself with how serious the regular flu can be. 

We should be looking at excess mortality adjusted for any population increase. We should be comparing open countries to those which are locked down (closed New York has 4x the fatalities of more open Sweden.) People are hurting over the Covid hysteria.

I understand what you are trying to say but still c'mon ,in the time of the outbrake of the virus if you get sick like that you should get yourself tested and not go on as if nothing happened visiting other arena's infecting other people like it happened . 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, rkidlad said:

I began to cough and had muscle aches. I felt the aches in my joints and in my bones. I thought I had come down with influenza,” recalled Pitak, 54.

Still, he did not consider even then that he might have the coronavirus. For the next week, he continued his usual routine visiting boxing stadiums across Bangkok"

Thai ignorance or abstinence has a lot to answer for.

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is called utter contemptuous selfishness. It is ingrained in many Thai's.  It is always about Me, Me, Me, unfortunately they do not truly care about anyone else as long as they have there own self gratification taken care of.

I can assure you that at least here in Koh Samui this "illness" is far more prevalent among the foreign community than Thais.  Especially among the "I have a bit of money so I must be more important than everyone else" crowd.