Over 10,000 vendors put wares on sale as Chatuchak market opens its doors

rooster59

Over 10,000 vendors put wares on sale as Chatuchak market opens its doors

By THE NATION

800_e6d44b206f53780.jpg

A senior official of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) inspected Chatuchak Weekend Market on Saturday (May 9) on the first day of its reopening after being closed since March 22 under a government order to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Wullaya Wattanarat, deputy permanent secretary of the city administration, said: “The BMA will allow the market to open on weekends from 5am to 6pm in all zones except the watch tower and night market zones due to curfew restrictions,” she said. “There are 10,334 vendors who have expressed their interest to continue opening their shops in the market.”

96539844_2501323309967275_6988263561298444288_o.jpg

To prevent the possible spread of Covid-19, BMA has limited access to the market from six locations, which will have screening checkpoints equipped with thermo-scanners at all locations. Vehicles will be allowed to enter/exit via Kamphaengphet Road and Phaholyothin Road only.

95742061_2501322749967331_8119495476765523968_o.jpg

“All vendors and customers must wear sanitary or cloth face masks, while restaurants must comply with social distancing measures announced by the Ministry of Public Health,” she added. “Furthermore, all eight public restrooms in the market will be cleaned every two hours and will provide alcohol-based hand gels to visitors.”

95810723_2501322529967353_3504362167262511104_o.jpg

Vendors selling items like clothes have been instructed to limit the number of customers to five at a time for small shops and 10 for larger shops. Activities that involve crowds are banned at the market.

“BMA will also help the vendors in Chatuchak Weekend Market by exempting them from paying rent for three months,” added Wullaya.

95982748_2501322783300661_2127464225612759040_o.jpg

lores_20200509160549620.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387575

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-10

1 hour ago, DGS1244 said:

10,000 Vendors doesn't sound quite right somehow. Been there many times never seen that many.

You're right, that's not quite right, just an incorrect headline from The Nation.  The actual article says that over 10,000 vendors have expressed an interest in re-opening, that's a lot different from over 10,000 putting their wares on sale!

1 hour ago, garygooner said:

You are kidding right. Pretty much everyone knows you can buy animals there sadly, in hot crowded cages, including dogs, cats, rabbits & exotic animals like birds, turtles, snakes and monkeys. 

Bat?

1 hour ago, garygooner said:

You are kidding right. Pretty much everyone knows you can buy animals there sadly, in hot crowded cages, including dogs, cats, rabbits & exotic animals like birds, turtles, snakes and monkeys. 

Yes, but they're sold as pets, not for eating (other than the white mice that are sold as food for snakes).

Customers need to be very wary and careful.

How will customers be handled who touch items for sale? This applies to clothing and jewelry especially that one does not generally buy without handling. For things that are sold in bags what assurance is there that the bags are sterile? Will vendors wear gloves when they handle merchandise; certainly customers/visitors should. 

As we have seen throughout the world one doesn't have to have a fever to carry the virus. 

Spent 4 hours today at the Chatuchack weekend market area.  In all my years of going there to buy clothes, housewares such as glasses and such, as I did today, I have never seen a wet market on this site nor have I seen animals for sale except for at two locations which are pet stores, and who also sell pet food as well as veterinary supplies.  Now if you are talking about a wet market then Huai Kwang would be the place as there is an entire wet market inside a large wharehouse.  Inside you can find live fish, and fresh meat which is freshly cut for you, you can also find frogs and other such things.  How do I know this, well I was there today also.  It is where I also buy my fruit and vegetables.  Just on the outside is also another flower and vegetable market Area.  Of course just down the road is also a section where you can buy prawns, shrimp, clams, fish and all the seafood fresh you could ever want.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is the very large market near the park that takes one almost half the day to walk around the ring road and go through all of the locations.  Easily 10,000 vendors inside, but most of the shops only have room for 2 to 3 people max...Majority of shops are those selling clothes, shoes, trinkets, rugs, toiletries, never seen any live animals sold there as its not a food market.  There are food stalls that sell dinks, coconut ice cream, and other goodies....

Still never made it there. Not sure it's a good place to actually buy things..,. more a place to get some food and walk around?

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Is this the market that sells live animals of every description?

There's an entire section with hundreds of shops and kiosks selling exotic and mundane pets, many of them illegal.  Lots of "No Photos Allowed" signs.  Some of the exotics carry huge price tags.

But I've never seen a wet market where they sell live critters for food in Chatuchuk.  Lots of wet markets all over BKK, with my favorite(?) being Khlong Toei.  Really depressing to see how cruelly people treat the livestock, so it's not a jaunt for the squeamish.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

This is the very large market near the park that takes one almost half the day to walk around the ring road and go through all of the locations.  Easily 10,000 vendors inside, but most of the shops only have room for 2 to 3 people max...Majority of shops are those selling clothes, shoes, trinkets, rugs, toiletries, never seen any live animals sold there as its not a food market.  There are food stalls that sell dinks, coconut ice cream, and other goodies....

Oh you know it so well....there are loads and loads of live animals sold if you know the market a bit....they are in the side of chatuchak park, if you follow that road between the park and the market you see the fish shops, behind them are birds, snakes, rabbits, and much more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Oh you know it so well....there are loads and loads of live animals sold if you know the market a bit....they are in the side of chatuchak park, if you follow that road between the park and the market you see the fish shops, behind them are birds, snakes, rabbits, and much more.

Yes But not for food. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“All vendors and customers must wear sanitary or cloth face masks, while restaurants must comply with social distancing measures announced by the Ministry of Public Health,” she added.

Yet they still handle your food with bare hands ?

lores_20200509160549620.jpg.c2bf93a4032cf1adda2791e93a0f46e0.jpg

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Youlike said:

Show me photos of a wet market at Chatuchak park and explain its location.  I have walked all sides and through all small walkways it is why it takes almost half a day to walk through it.  Never have I observed a wet market.  Now Pet Stores or shops Yes they have.  If you decide to buy a snake from one and cook it that's your bailey wick, not mine and I am sure no what its intended for.  You can buy cages and food, as well as toys for your animals.  Lots of bird cages for sale as well.  Folks here like there bird's......

I exit MRT at Chatuchak, and by the time I am done I re-enter MRT at Kamphaeng Phet.  Yesterday probably about only 1/6th of the stalls were open.  Line out each of the staffed entries, with social distancing tape on the ground, and your temperature being taken and a red sticker given to you to wear.  Enjoy your beliefs Youlike, sounds like you like to frequent the seedier side of Bangkok if you know where a true wet market is...

All at Chatuchak is above board, very few food shops were actually up and running yesterday, many small drink shops however were busy as it was quite warm..

Edited by ThailandRyan

50 minutes ago, tonray said:

Looks like she has a plastic glove on....

"A glove" = one hand [singular], while the other hand has thumb in your mixing bowl?

Edited by hotchilli

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Jatujak Plaza is full of live animals, intended as pets. Anything from dogs to snakes.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never have I observed a wet market.  Now Pet Stores or shops Yes they have.  If you decide to buy a snake from one and cook it that's your bailey wick, not mine and I am sure no what its intended for.  You can buy cages and food, as well as toys for your animals.  Lots of bird cages for sale as well.  Folks here like there bird's......

Absolutely right. 

Buying a snake at pet shop and then eating it would also be a very expensive meal.

By the way , I love walking the market, and always take people visiting me from the US or Europe for a stroll. They love it also!! Always nice to find that unusual accent or decorating piece. When ever I go there I never know what I will come back with.

Some times indigestion LOL . I love all Thai food, but sometimes it does not love me. 

• Like 1