Face mask wearing in Pattaya

roger101

On my trip to the bakers today I saw a whole bunch of RTP supervising a food pick up point (social distancing). Showily after that I was surprised at the number of people not wearing  masks as I rode round, and I dont mean not wearing them properly I mean not  wearing them at all.

If the RTP have enough staff to supervise food pick up perhaps they should keep their eyes open on the way there and pick up people who are blatantly ignoring the law .I dont mean arrest them  just get them to go home and get a mask.

Edited by roger101
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see the very odd one or two,  they mainly seem to be people in the immediate vicinity of their own homes, which is understandable.  I see near 100% compliance outside the home. I don't like them, I'm not sure that they are any use, but I do wear one outside, bit like condoms . ????

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I see the very odd one or two,  they mainly seem to be people in the immediate vicinity of their own homes, which is understandable.  I see near 100% compliance outside the home. I don't like them, I'm not sure that they are any use, but I do wear one outside, bit like condoms . ????

Same here, 95%+ wear mask from my observations. Of these 75% wear it properly, the remaining wear it below their face.

• Like 2

One has to consider that from those in the know few masks are considered reliable. Who are we fooling. It's a barrier that's not fool proof but now with humidity at a peak, bacteria, (any) less likely to spread. Why I choose to wear one regardless of reliability.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I dont like Condoms and I dont like masks and I do my best not to wear either one.....But if I have no other options I will wear both as a very last resort....

but make sure you wear them the right way around????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, roger101 said:

pick up people who are blatantly ignoring the law

Maybe I missed something on this.

It is common sense and responsible, but not "the law" from what I have read.

I know they made it mandatory in Phuket last month, but have not heard this as a law in Pattaya.

Lots of people walking the beach sidewalk 2 hours ago with no masks.  Mostly Falang who also for some reason make a habit of covering their mouth but not their nose with the mask.  Seems dumb.

Whats the point? 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I know they made it mandatory in Phuket last month, but have not heard this as a law in Pattaya.

Lots of people walking the beach sidewalk 2 hours ago with no masks.  Mostly Falang who also for some reason make a habit of covering their mouth but not their nose with the mask.  Seems dumb.

Whats the point? 

Since April 8th we have to wear masks in Pattaya at all public locations. Perhaps the problem is that the police does not enforce laws and so nobody cares about them anymore. What don't we need then - the laws or the police? You decide. 

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Whats the point? 

There seems to be a few different kind of mask wearers....

There is the full face mask wearers...

There are the only covering the mouth wearers

There are the chin covering wearers

And there are the mask slam dunk way behind the chin wearers...

Edited by redwood1

55 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Whats the point? 

Mandatory in Chonburi, Pattaya included.

Fine up to 20,000

Never seen it enforced.

From other news. Quote

The order to wear face-masks first came into effect back in early April, carrying stiff fines of up to 20,000 baht and/or even potential prison time. This order came directly from the Chonburi Governor, Pakarathorn Tieanchai. 

1 hour ago, champers said:

I always wear a mask and always carry my passport when I am out during this crisis. Very rarely see a cop anyway but I am taking no chances.

I wear a mask, but don't carry my passport. If they stopped you and wanted to see your passport, not accepting a copy, then there's a good chance you've been seen as a potential target for extortion, in which case it's better not to have it on you.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Surelynot said:

It's a numbers thing I guess............if the vast majority comply you can pick up the odd one or two who don't........with mass disobedience, helmets for instance, they just give up.

I was out and about in Pattaya yesterday and pleased to see most people were wearing masks. Certainly more-so than in the more rural area I live out of town. Of those not wearing them properly, I would say the majority were elderly male Westerners. 

13 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"Since April 8th we have to wear masks in Pattaya at all public locations."

Can you point to a link with the actual "law" that details this? 

I believe it was a provincial order from the governor allowed under the SOE. It is supported by quite a few Newspaper reports.

Pattaya News.

I walk along Jomtien Beach Road every day. Only once have I seen the cops enforcing the face mask rule, and that was on the road alongside Dongtan Beach. No fines, just telling people without a face mask to go home and get one.

Yesterday, for the first time, not far from JBC I came across a squad of cops on motorbikes whose appearance sent a couple of beggars scuttling across the road from the beach side. The cops had seen them but didn't take any other action, I'm not at all sure what they're riding around looking for, other than beggars. Lots of people strolling without a face mask so they're evidently not checking those.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, scubascuba3 said:

i think the police have better things to do

What is better than try to keep people healthy? There are very good scientific reasons for the regulation that masks must be worn.

34 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

What is better than try to keep people healthy? There are very good scientific reasons for the regulation that masks must be worn.

The problem is now the jobsworth types around the world are being OCD about mask wearing and 2 metres social distancing, better than trainspotting i guess

On 5/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

Whats the point? 

Here , don't see how you missed this :

92703870_10220504036244340_9056732408191123456_n.jpg.c6b726a70d738aa029a46dc7a9f875b3.jpg