Amazing Thailand for the Thais: Is Domestic Tourism a solution?

webfact

Well, I cannot see Thais jumping at the chance to holiday especially with the economy, risk of contracting COVID and any families with children in Thais schools will be prioritising that in July.

Our summer holiday to America in July looks very doubtful, therefore I guess we will probably holiday in Thailand. I have no interest in flying at the moment so somewhere in driving distance from Bangkok would be my priority. Unless there are decent offers on I won't be desperate to book a hotel in somewhere like Hua Hin or Koh Chang. A quick look on Agoda didn't really show any drastically lower prices than normal. 

Not sure if it is a "solution" as there is just so much tourist infrastructure but it is all that they have for a while anyway.

Driven over 1,2 million KM all over Thailand in my 3decades of living here  & yes there are some amazing things to see in particular if happy with 1 & 2 star accommodation.

I cringe when I hear that they are going to open up International flights again  

• Thanks 1

How does domestic tourism bring money into the Thai economy?

Hundreds of thousands of Thais all over thailand lining up in the streets every day to receive food and water.  Does anyone think they have money for travel or domestic holidays?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dean2926 said:

How does domestic tourism bring money into the Thai economy?

Hundreds of thousands of Thais all over thailand lining up in the streets every day to receive food and water.  Does anyone think they have money for travel or domestic holidays?

Most of the people lined up for food are not travelers.

In fact, I bet many work in the tourist service industry.

Believe it or not there are a number of Thais especially in Bangkok who are fairly well off.

Normally 1000's of Bangkok Thais come to Pattaya for the weekend. Eating, drinking, different activities, etc.

Then add the foreigners who live here who travel to different provinces for tourism or other reasons.

Nothing close to international tourists, but the tourists I mentioned do have some impact on the Thai economy.  At least it would be a start and bring back some jobs.

• Like 2

A decade or so without the mass tourism might return some of the aspects of what Thailand used to be. Maybe then Thais would start to enjoy their own country again.

But it'll likely be locusts descending again as soon as they can open the border for the Chinese.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have traveled 36,000 kilometers on my motorcycle all over Thailand.

for the first few days I had to keep checking my GPS because I though I was riding in circles because everywhere I went looked exactly the same. 

Maybe you need to check the processor behind the eyes ????

7 hours ago, johng said:

increase prices to make up for lost customers

Mmm, I missed my beloved California Burrito ???? from Taco Bell in Siam Paragon. I'm sure they've felt the pinch from being closed for so long. They did not increase its 179 baht combo meal price. They did however, decrease its size. ???? I should've got two of them.

IMG_20200509_135915.jpg

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
typo