Overseas withdaw money from Thai bank

Thanks everybody for your Input concerning my recent topic concerningt immigration health insurance.  Unfortunately, I now have a further equally pressing problem. 

I'm 81 and living in the UK with my Thai wife.  We have a very nice house in Chiang Rai (well she does anyway) and I have a relatively substantial amount of Baht in my Bangkok Bank account, all of which was deposited from sources outside Thailand.  I have online banking but it does not include overseas transfers.  With all the immigration restrictions, that have been exacerbated by the corona virus, there is a strong possibility that I may never be able to return to Thailand, or at least for the foreseeable future.  Can anybody give any suggestions as to how I can persuade/instruct Bangkok Bank to transfer nearly all my money to my overseas account without personally attending the bank to complete the usual formalities.  This, of course, excludes all the generous offers I may receive from individuals offering to take care of my money for me. ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Do you have an ATM card?

Does it work internationally (or can you enable it via the online banking?)

I appreciate it's not the best solution as you'll pay fees when you withdraw cash but you could at least get some of your money that way.

I've seen people here discussing "Dee Money" but I've never used it - hopefully someone who has will spot your question but you could investigate it in the meantime.

Other possibilities:

If you had a trusted friend in Thailand you could send the money to them; they could wire it to you

Do Bangkok Bank have an English language helpline? 

Edited by VBF

OP, your only choice will be to transfer to a trusted third party here in Thailand like using Bangkok Bank ibanking/mbanking to do that transfer (hopefully you have that capability).  Then that third party would need to do the "usual formalities" to transfer to the UK. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If he has someone he trusts here, another possibility that I've done myself.

The OP transfers funds from his Thai account to the friends Thai account.

The friend transfers funds from his UK account to the OP's UK account.

A win, win for both, saving on any transfer fees.

Absolutely. It is arguably no different to what Transferwise do.

Many of us here have Sterling income and a need for Baht. The OP is in the reverse situation and just needs to find that 'trusted friend' to match the funds with.

Trying to formalise an arrangement with the Thai bank will be nigh on impossible and, at the very best, you would incur hefty fees having a lawyer act as an intermediary in any private arrangement. In the absence of any tangible offers take a chance on 10,500 Baht...................... send that to my Thai account and I will immediately transfer GBP 250 to your UK account. You can never be at risk for more than one payment......

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Many of us here have Sterling income and a need for Baht. The OP is in the reverse situation and just needs to find that 'trusted friend' to match the funds with.

Depending on the amount and a mutually agreeable exchange rate, I'd be willing to assist the OP.

I also bank with Bangkok Bank and have a UK account with Nationwide.

Up to the OP, send me a PM.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Depending on the amount and a mutually agreeable exchange rate, I'd be willing to assist the OP.

I also bank with Bangkok Bank and have a UK account with Nationwide.

Up to the OP, send me a PM.

My offer is a flat exchange rate of 42......................... so you both have a benchmark. ????

You might have a chance with using transferwise? I only started using it a few weeks ago, transferring money from a HK Bank to my Thai Bank. But I have not done it the other way round, withdrawing funds from my Thai Bank and sending somewhere else. You could send them a message and ask. May be another member has more experience with this?

1 hour ago, thainet said:

OP.. @Paradice lost   ...you didn't answer the question on whether you have a useable type of ATM or Debit card that can be used in a UK ATM machine.

Also another thought do you have 'Online banking'.

Because without Online banking or a useable card, then there is no way Bangkok Bank will transfer money out of your account without you physically being there.

Lawyers, Power of Attorney, Friends, even Embassies cannot access your money.

Answers please.

21 hours ago, VBF said:

Do you have an ATM card?

I appreciate it's not the best solution as you'll pay fees when you withdraw cash but you could at least get some of your money that way.

I've seen people here discussing "Dee Money" but I've never used it - hopefully someone who has will spot your question but you could investigate it in the meantime.

Other possibilities:

If you had a trusted friend in Thailand you could send the money to them; they could wire it to you

Yes Dee money might be n option but keep in mind that there may be some restrictions on getting it to dee money.  I must be honest I tried something similar trying to transfer funds from K bank to dee money with intention to get the funds out of Thailand. Getting the money from K bank to dee money proved difficult. They kept telling me to use a K bank app, but it's barred for foreigners.

Have you tried calling BK bank call centre in Bkk, many staff there speak excellent English and I've found them to be good listeners and helpful. 

Good luck. 

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Trying to formalise an arrangement with the Thai bank will be nigh on impossible and, at the very best, you would incur hefty fees having a lawyer act as an intermediary in any private arrangement. In the absence of any tangible offers take a chance on 10,500 Baht...................... send that to my Thai account and I will immediately transfer GBP 250 to your UK account. You can never be at risk for more than one payment......

But how can you transfer out of Thailand?

I have lived here for many yrs with a retirement extension (800,000 untouched in SCB bank). Now, I am considering returning to the UK or Spain "after covid". So I need to take my money out.

Is there a best time to do this as regards my extn renewal? Obviously, I cannot empty the account before my renewal day because that would mean that I have no money in a Thai bank.

Can I do it any time during the next 364 days by asking the SCB to make a bank transfer to Natwest UK? Will it raise any red flags here? Is it a one day overstay (even) while I get to the plane?

Also I read somewhere that we cannot take more than 50,000 out of Thailand but does that apply to carrying cash??

Are there any other problems to be faced or other methods (besides going to the ATM for a whole year)?

Thx

Eddy

18 hours ago, Paiman said:

You might have a chance with using transferwise? I only started using it a few weeks ago, transferring money from a HK Bank to my Thai Bank. But I have not done it the other way round, withdrawing funds from my Thai Bank and sending somewhere else. You could send them a message and ask. May be another member has more experience with this?

Transferwise are not able to send money out of Thailand. Check on their site and you will see no facility to do so. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

I have lived here for many yrs with a retirement extension (800,000 untouched in SCB bank). Now, I am considering returning to the UK or Spain "after covid". So I need to take my money out.

Is there a best time to do this as regards my extn renewal? Obviously, I cannot empty the account before my renewal day because that would mean that I have no money in a Thai bank.

Can I do it any time during the next 364 days by asking the SCB to make a bank transfer to Natwest UK? Will it raise any red flags here? Is it a one day overstay (even) while I get to the plane?

Also I read somewhere that we cannot take more than 50,000 out of Thailand but does that apply to carrying cash??

Are there any other problems to be faced or other methods (besides going to the ATM for a whole year)?

Thx

Eddy

Some Immigration offices (like Jomtien) are asking you to come back and show proof after 3 months. So depends when you are planning to leave. Immigration at Swampy will not care or be able to check.

If you can set things up with SCB just wire it out just before you go - you will probably need to prove you have bought the money in from abroad but otherwise they should be able to help you. Go and talk to them now and test it with a smaller amount perhaps. No red flags.

The other option is to set up an account with Dee Money - several threads on here.

Taking cash out in Thai baht is limited (plus you would get a terrible exchange rate outside Thailand) and you will need to declare cash over I think $US15k anyhow - which is not to say you cannot take more in foreign currency. So you could go and change at a Forex booth and take out in foreign currency as long as you were comfortable having the cash on you.

21 hours ago, VBF said:

Do you have an ATM card?

Other possibilities:

BKK BANK only charge 100 bht for overseas ATM withdrawals,just make sure you have got the daily amount covered in your banking,to cover the withdrawal amount.

ATM is one way.

An alternative would be to prepay your Bangkok Bank credit card with say 500,000 to 1 million baht & then use that credit card for normal day to day expenses. Or prepay the credit card with the complete bank balance less 100 Bt or so. This assumes you have already set up on line banking.

Exchange fluctuation can hurt you (or help you), but that's just the cost of doing business.

Either way you are going to pay something.

Edited by Tagaa

10 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

BKK BANK only charge 100 bht for overseas ATM withdrawals,just make sure you have got the daily amount covered in your banking,to cover the withdrawal amount.

Same as SCB, but if the OP wants to withdraw a significant amount, he may have to make a lot of separate withdrawals each incurring the 100 Baht fee.

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

My offer is a flat exchange rate of 42......................... so you both have a benchmark. ????

I will match that offer  have thai and uk bank accounts. SCB. and santander and nationwide

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

Same as SCB, but if the OP wants to withdraw a significant amount, he may have to make a lot of separate withdrawals each incurring the 100 Baht fee.

I can withdraw £800 per transaction,up to the daily limit set with the Bank,not too bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes Dee money might be n option but keep in mind that there may be some restrictions on getting it to dee money.  I must be honest I tried something similar trying to transfer funds from K bank to dee money with intention to get the funds out of Thailand. Getting the money from K bank to dee money proved difficult. They kept telling me to use a K bank app, but it's barred for foreigners.

Have you tried calling BK bank call centre in Bkk, many staff there speak excellent English and I've found them to be good listeners and helpful. 

Good luck. 

Which K bank app is barred for foreigners?  Their app as available in the app store works fine for Thai and foreigners.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Dee money advised me about this.

I can't quickly find the old e.mails, I think it was K Plus. 

K Plus is working fine for foreigners and Thai. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

To the Op have you tried contacting Bangkok Bank in London

Waste of time!! I have tried recently,they dont deal with personal customers,only set up for business they told me.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Waste of time!! I have tried recently,they dont deal with personal customers,only set up for business they told me.

That maybe the case if you wish to open an account with them  but they do offer to transfer money to Thailand for anyone as detailed on their website

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

At least the Op should seek advice 

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That maybe the case if you wish to open an account with them  but they do offer to transfer money to Thailand for anyone as detailed on their website

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

At least the Op should seek advice 

I would'nt waste my time seeking it at Bangkok Bank in London,thats the reverse of what the OP requires, a big difference in direction of funds,only benefitting Thailand,of course they will help you transfer funds into Thailand,as much as they will try to prevent it going out of Thailand,also,try getting a replacement for a faulty ATM debit card from them,they tell you that you have to go to Thailand to do it!! Useless!